PC Applications forum

General discussion

Spyware

by kypipebear / November 4, 2004 11:01 AM PST

Can anyone from CNET or anyone else, tell me what the best spyware removal is there to use? Or is there a page or section on CNET that can tell me?

Brian
Henderson, KY

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Spyware tools, not tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware

There is NO BEST! Here's why. No single company has the resources to nail together a detection and removal tool for all known spyware. http://www.pestscan.com/ is a quick way to test for most pests, but http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 gives us a list of FREE TOOLS which I pull out Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder, Stinger and Housecall to eject most pests.

In closing, as long as you use Internet Explorer you leave the door open to such pests. Microsoft needs to offer yet another patch to help with this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Spyware
by Mr. Chan / November 4, 2004 8:24 PM PST

I have more than eight " Anti-Spyware " installed to my PC. They are " Spyware Doctor"," Spy Sweeper "," Ad-Aware SE Professional"," McAfee 2005 Anti-spyware "," Spybot Search & Destroy", " SpyCatcher from the GhostSurf 2005 Platinum Suite ", " Bazooka " and ' Spyware Begone ". Last week, one of the cnet.com modorator commented that ' Spyware Begone ' was a no no. I can say from experience that " Spyware Begone ' is doing a good job as lately my default web-site had been changed. I used all the " Anti-Spyware " to detect what was wrong of it. None of them could tell me that my web-site was being hijacked until this afternoon, I used " Spyware Begone " to run a scan. Immediately it detected I had seven spyware in my PC and deleted them afterwards. Now my default web-site is back. Thanks to MicroSmarts of the " Spyware Begone version 6.75 ". The worst " Anti-Spyware " I have are the McAfee 2005 " Anti-Spyware " as it keeps on bugging me there is an update but each time it was the same version as I installed it in October and they are very slow of sending you the rebate too. The Webroot " Spy Sweeeper " is useless and expensive. Though it has the " Alert " feature yet my default web-site was being hijacked and it did not alert me. So both McAfee and Webroot are junk. The Spybot Search & Destroy always comes up with the same " DOS exploits ", cannot complain as it is free. ' Ad-Aware SE Professional " by Lavasoft used to be the King of adware but it only catches big spy and failed to detect the small spies. So in a nutshell, go for " Spyware Begone version 6.75 " because it is the only " Anti-Spyware " to detect your web-site being hijacked in the very first place. a2 has lots of problems though it is free, I guess they want to push everyone to a2 personal. Lots of problems. If the softwareis free, chances are they are spyware themself. One time I downloaded the SpyBlaster and immediately I had 17 spies detected by Spyware Begone. Both SpyBlaster and SpyGuard I had downloaded a fortnight ago and I suspect they are spyware themselves. Last but not the least, forget McAfee and Webroot coz their software are lousy.

Collapse -
by Mr. Chan / November 6, 2004 2:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Spyware

Further to my discussion on 30th October and 5th November, 2004 on Spyware. I followed Mr. Roddy32 suggestion to visit www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm to read on Mr. Howes , a professsor who conducted a full evaluation on all anti-spyware. His conclusion ended up with five trustworthy " Anti-Spyware ". They are " Ad-Aware SE Professional ", " GIANT antispyware ", "Pest Patrol ", " Spybot search & destroy " and " Spy Sweeper ". Having testdriven all of them, I would not suggest cnet.com subscribers for the " Pest Patrol " and " Spy Sweeper " as the former brought me more spyware to my PC and the latter had never detected any spyware ever since I purchased it a month ago. Therefore, I would suggest cnet.com subscribers to download the " Spybot search & destroy " since it is free. " Ad-Aware SE Professional " is just a name brand of " Anti-Spyware" but it does very little to catch those spies. GIANT antispyware looks good but again did not catch any spy neither. If you really want to spend money on those 5 trustworthy "Anti-Spyware", take GIANT. However, Mr. Roddy32 quoted that " Spyware Begone" was not a trustworthy " Anti-Spyware " from Mr. Howes research. I can tell everyone from my own experience, " Spyware Begone " is the only "Anti-Spyware " which save my neck each time my homepage was being hijacked. It is a down-to-earth " Anti-Spyware " that I have in my PC. The reason I said that is because I have more than 8 " Anti-Spyware " software installed to my PC. None can detect that my homepage had been hijacked except " Spyware Begone ". The fact speaks for itself.

Collapse -
TeaTimer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2004 11:20 PM PST

There is that TeaTimer from Spybot which runs in realtime to notify you of changes that such software can attempt.

But you may be missing the big issue. What browser are you using that allows such shenanigans ?

Bob

Collapse -
by araqel / November 6, 2004 5:36 PM PST

Hello IT people! I would like to report that Mr. Chan wrote very true evidence. After Ad-Aware SE scanning with most up-to-date knowledge base, Spyware Begone has captured another 3 item of such "goods" on my computer. Special thanks to Mr. Chan!!!
Unfortunately, nobody can be ensure on the forecast, in view of point of exact cleaning software chousing, because the real-time situation over such a ground is very dinamic. There is no one business available, beside of always uptime comparision of multiple products. Thanks to such people, as are the reporter man, who save huge amount of online researches of other people. Only these efforts of IT community might prevent the violations into net and computers.

Collapse -
by dkmi / November 11, 2004 6:38 AM PST

Everyone seems to be missing the boat here. The single best defense against spyware is the practice of safe browsing. When things pop up on your screen, be smart enough not to click on OK. Don't download and install applications unless you are certain they don't contain spyware. If something claims to be "free", you better investigate just how free it is before using it. In other words, use your brain a little. You don't need 10 programs scanning your system. A good program like PC-Cillin 2005 running on a clean system with users who don't click on every ad they see thinking it's a message from Windows is plenty. If you want reinforcement, then install Spybot 1.3 available on download.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.