Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SpyBot won't run

by hinesjrh / June 15, 2004 2:05 PM PDT

I am running Windows XP (SP1) on a Dell P3 w/ 256 mem. and I can get Adaware to run fine. I have downloaded and installed SpyBot 1.3, but when I click on the icon it will not run. I have it running on other PC's. I have uninstalled and re-downloaded and reinstalled a couple of times, but it still won't run. I have also uninstalled Norton, thinking that may be blocking it but that didn't make a difference. Any ideas why?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpyBot won't run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpyBot won't run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SpyBot won't run
by Papa Echo / June 15, 2004 4:22 PM PDT
In reply to: SpyBot won't run

Please describe more on "won't run". What happened ? Any error messages ? Did the program open up for you to "Check for problems" ? Have you tried the previous version ?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2004 8:15 PM PDT

Do tell more, but be aware that new malware/parasites are now getting more defensive. A recent owner had to run the set of tools multiple times to finally get a cleaned up machine. For them, Cwshredder, Adaware, Spybot and a Housecall cleaned it up. But Adaware would just close immediately on start. Cwshredder was able to work around that and then it began to get cleaned up.

Remember to use another browser when you can to move out of the line of fire between malware writers and Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
by Josh K / June 16, 2004 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: SpyBot won't run

I was recently asked by a neighbor to repair her laptop which was infested with spyware/adware. Spybot would install but it crashed whenever I tried to run it. Finally I shut down the computer and removed the network card so the phone-home software couldn't phone home, and that resolved the issue. I was able to remove enough parasites on that first pass to reboot with the LAN connection and clean the computer normally.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / June 15, 2004 9:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
by hinesjrh / June 15, 2004 10:38 PM PDT

I am thinking that this PC has spy / adware or a virus on it, that may be preventing SpyBot from starting. I have run TrendMicro's on-line scan, but that didn't find anything. CWShredded did find and remove a couple of things, and McAfee's Stinger did find and remove one virus. Adaware finds and removes a few things, but after all that SpyBot still will not start - if I double click on the icon the cursor flashes real quick (as if it were starting) but then nothing happens.

I will keep attempting to clean this PC using the many methods mentioned in your tool kit.

Collapse -
Read this thread again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

The FAQ about Spybot was noted, so try that as well as a full uninstall of Spybot and fresh download and install.

BUT of big concern is the NAMES of the virus you removed. And can you share what you may be doing to let the virus in?

I need to review your thread here, but some don't run an antivirus for reasons such as they "use safe computing" methods to "I can't afford..." My responses are: You can't compete with 10 thousand malware writers and Free AVG is free (http://www.grisoft.com)

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Read this thread again.
by hinesjrh / June 16, 2004 12:30 AM PDT

The friend that I am attmepting to fix this PC for, had Norton installed but allowed the ability to receive updates lapse. We decided to renew and in the process downloaded Norton Antivirus 2004 (she had 2002). I can't get Norton to run, and I have read on Symantec's website that this is a known issue - if the PC is infected somehow.

In rerunning some of your tools this morning, CWShredded does not find anything however Stinger found and removed W32/Bagle.dll.gen virus from C:\WINDOWS\System32\system.exe

As mentioned earlier, a run of TrendMicro's on-line scan last evening did not find anything either.

Thanks SO MUCH for your help (so far)!

Collapse -
Bagle'd and the firezone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2004 12:46 AM PDT

1. http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/bagle.shtml (light reading about.
2. The firezone.
It was sad to read that another person ran without an antivirus when free ones are readily available. Now they have to deal with the bagle and what else as well and what damage has been done. I mention "firezone" since using just Internet Explorer and leaving the PREVIEW enabled on Outlook Express places the user in the firezone between malware writers and Microsoft. Again, simple free replacement browsers like Firefox and Mozilla step out of this line of fire with little downside. Turning off the PREVIEW is absolutely necessary as well as never opening any email you didn't expect.

fin - Go get RNAV2003 from Symantec to remove the rest of Norton Antivirus if you plan to install it again. Remember that Symantec may drop support (but not removal) of older versions. So you can always remove it and install the new, updated FREE antivirus.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Read this thread again.
by Cursorcowboy / June 16, 2004 1:18 AM PDT
y'all....

1. Ad blocking using either "Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall".

a. Blocks ads made with Macromedia Flash

a. Prevent sites from opening specified pop-up or pop-under ad windows

c. Blocks ads by preventing your Web browser from displaying specific HTML strings

d. Does not block text-based or script-based advertisements

2. You can also receive an education concerning the use of "Norton" at this link.

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.
Collapse -
by Tufenuf / June 15, 2004 11:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
by hinesjrh / June 17, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

I am finally able to get SpyBot to run. I believe what was preventing it from running, was one of the following:

Trojan.Mitglieder.F
Downloader.Trojan
iA4.tmp

Once those were removed (by successfully getting Norton AV updated and running), I was able to get SpyBot to run for the first time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.