Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot why does it say i'm not an Administrator

by shaw41225 / March 2, 2009 11:26 AM PST

Hi All, I`ve installed Spybot on my Acer laptop running windows vista and when i try to run spybot it tells me i need to be an administrator which i am, can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?
Cheers Dave.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot why does it say i'm not an Administrator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot why does it say i'm not an Administrator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Directions here with screen shots Dave
by roddy32 / March 2, 2009 11:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by shaw41225 / March 2, 2009 11:04 PM PST

Many thanks, problem now fixed.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Dave :)
by roddy32 / March 3, 2009 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Administrator Rights.....Again
by wyomingnan2 / August 8, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

I know this is a really old post but perhaps someone can still answer:
I tried this and it opens the program but when I click on "Immunize" it tells me I am not an administrator AGAIN....BUT then it acts like it is still immunizing....then it tells me that 1,000+ files are not immunized. I have even made sure Windows Vista Home Basic has this log on at Administrator status. Also, if you want to schedule Spybot to run at certain times you can't be there to click on "run as administrator" I have also tried to schedule checks at certain times and it tells me the scheduler is not ON. Any advice? It should not be this hard to get this program to run.

Collapse -
Vista Is A Little Different Regarding Immunize
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 8, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Since the "Immunize" function creates a special HOSTS file on your computer, Vista and Windows 7 have some special hoops to jump through which allow the correct permissions to be alloted to HOSTS.. See the link below and try running Spybot as "administrator".. (RIGHT click on the "Spybot" shortcut, choose "run as administrator".) Set the scheduler in much the same fashion..

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6121_102-2488002.html

And if that doesn't help, we're starting to see a few issues with members running Spybot and it's Tea Timer and "Immunize" sub-programming.. You may want to think about using a different tool.. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what alternatives are there to spybot?
by jayess99 / April 15, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

I'm getting the same crap about not being an adminstrator. I've clicked the "log on as adminstrator" (or whatever), I'm the only one using this thing, and Im tired of stuff that doesn't work. What other choices are there? thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Plenty. I like what Grif writes at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Relpy
by ZenReputation / April 17, 2012 5:39 PM PDT

reinstall the Spybot by choosing administrator at starting....Does it also problematic in other OS>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.