Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot result - is this a false positive?

by kindycat85 / June 5, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

Hi,

I ran a spybot s&d yesterday and this reared it's ugly head

Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1993962763-220523388-682003330-1004\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe

Is this spyware or a flase positive

thanks for all your help (premature I know)

penny

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot result - is this a false positive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot result - is this a false positive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thats true
by jay128k / June 5, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

this is not the registry file of a normal version of windows
that file should not be there it looks like it was put there probably by a virus or spyware

Collapse -
I am NOT so sure, IF that is "true".....
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 5, 2008 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: thats true

I just found a thread at SpybotS&D:

Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: [SBI $A3433CBF] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-240452933-1526793513-891911580-1006\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe

You are using a third part anti-virus and firewall.
So the Windows anti-virus and firewall are disabled.
That is being detected by Spybot and notified to you.
As these changes are made by yourself cause you are using these other programs you can safely ignore this entries in future scans.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19942

Collapse -
many thanks marrianah
by kindycat85 / June 5, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

I just hope you haven't hijacked me and are now spending my millions Happy

Collapse -
You Are Welcome.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 5, 2008 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: many thanks marrianah

NO worries..... I would prefer to SIT on your millions so it duplicates]:) But it makes sense to me, what I found at the Spybot forum...... IF you are in doubt....... I would suggest to post in the Spybot forum Wink

Collapse -
Spybot's Detections
by Bugbatter / June 14, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

These would be anti-virus and firewall detections:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

The one in question:
Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: [SBI $A3433CBF] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-240452933-1526793513-891911580-1006\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe

pertains to a detection that Spybot added a while back because some downloaded toolbars were found to alter that setting which can affect a users "My Computer Zone" settings.

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options > Advanced tab > scroll down to "security". If "Allow active content to run in files on my computer" is checked, UNcheck it > Apply > OK.
Rescan with Spybot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.