Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

sprint is trapping customers

by yuechu2000 / April 9, 2008 / 4:54 PM UTC

We have 5 phones in our account. On Sept, 2007, 2 of the numbers were ported out because we thought our contract was up. However after realizing it, we ported them back to sprint. At the time, we believed that the 2 numbers would go back to its original contract and would expire on June 2008 as normal since the sprint representative did not warn us about signing up for a brand new contract. Sprint actually started the numbers as new accounts, making them expire 9/7/2009. At the time we ported the numbers back, the account manager did not offer me a contract to sign, nor did he record any verbal agreement from me indicating that I am interested in another 2 years, we didn?t even get 2 new phones. Obviously, I would not agreed if that was the case. I do not believe there is contract indicating that the two lines(412-xxx-xxxx and 412-xxx-xxxx) are bound by a two year contract because there was no agreement written or verbal. Sprint is trying to trap me in a contract that I never signed or given my verbal consent to. I can't believe a company does this to keep their customers. All I want is to continue with the old contract and port my numbers out in June without being hackled for $200 per line. I am looking for support and help regarding not having to pay the etf.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sprint is trapping customers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sprint is trapping customers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
help with Sprint
by Natronx / April 9, 2008 / 6:51 PM UTC

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have Sprint and I've been very lucky - customer service has always been generally good to me.

I have 2 suggestions for you:
1) When calling customer service be very polite, and if you don't get what you want then call back and talk to another rep. If that doesn't work, make a couple unrelated calls regarding something easy so that you look good when future reps look up your history screen. Then try again to get help from another rep - remember to always be polite.

2) The other idea is goto http://www.Sprintusers.com . It's a huge forum (much like this one) where you'll find a large number of active Sprint users who like to share ideas and info on how to get the most from Sprint. It's a great resource if you have a Sprint cell phone.

Collapse -
Cooling off peried
by Renegade Knight / April 10, 2008 / 11:52 AM UTC

Don't new contracts have a cooling off peried. You can change your mind after so many days before the full contract provisions kick in?

Collapse -
Yes, but . . .
by PressAnyKey / April 10, 2008 / 1:13 PM UTC
In reply to: Cooling off peried

the cooling off period is thirty days. It's too late to use that argument.

Collapse -
I was wrong
by Natronx / April 10, 2008 / 6:14 PM UTC
In reply to: Yes, but . . .

Sorry, I have to take back what I said about Sprint customer service being generally good. I just called customer service twice and it didn't go very well. Neither rep was able to understand basic issues. I love Sprint so it's really said. I hope they were just having a bad day. You should still check out that forum I mentioned earlier.

Collapse -
That's more like it....
by thriftyT / April 11, 2008 / 4:54 AM UTC
In reply to: I was wrong

When you said that your Sprint customer service experience had been "generally good", I almost spit out my cereal. and Yogurt.

I'm still with Sprint (the only reason I stayed was the Oct. '07 Centro release) and can tell you that Sprint's customer service has been the worst I have ever dealt with - phone co. or otherwise.

Highlights:

- I was double taxed on my invoice for about 2.5 years - I was getting charged for NJ and NY taxes and Sprint wouldn't do anything about it after approximately 20 calls. I finally resorted to complaining directly to the FCC which resulted in a contrite letter of apology from Sprint. The issue was fiinally resolved.

- multiple incidents of "phantom" charges. e.g. I was charged for about 6 months for an international calling plan... even though I have NEVER made an international call using my Sprint phone and never asked for the plan. There were other "phantom" charges and inexplicable billing errors too.

- It took about 8 calls within 48 hours to activate my Centro.

I could go on...

Thrifty Techie

Collapse -
Just cancel Sprint
by PortVista-190953130350169 / April 11, 2008 / 6:19 AM UTC

I would just go with a new service and let them put a collection on you. Collections from phone companies don't really impact your credit.

Collapse -
Is the Grass Really Greener
by PressAnyKey / April 11, 2008 / 7:14 AM UTC
In reply to: Just cancel Sprint

I'm all for dumping their service if you can't get satisfaction but are their better alternatives? AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, etc.. I think the services sucks for all of the players...

Collapse -
Not really...
by PortVista-190953130350169 / April 11, 2008 / 7:38 AM UTC

Not really. I switch companies every two years. None of them can seem to get it right. Usually they will work out a deal with you, but sometimes not. I bought new phones with AT&T/Cingular, signed up for a new plan, finally get the bill and it was about $150 in upgrade fees. I promptly took the phones back and went with Sprint. Sprint has been problematic too. I think you just have to take it in the *** and just plan on spending a lot of money to get what you want.

Collapse -
Verizon
by Renegade Knight / April 14, 2008 / 11:30 AM UTC
In reply to: Not really...

I never liked Verizon's company politics but their service and coverage were top notch. T-Mobile is cheaper, and I can get unlocked phones since GSM has more variety, but then I have to deal with T-Mobile and that's proven to not be worth the trouble. In my area we don't have AT&T as an option. So it's either back to Verizon or Sprint...AT&T has the phones I like...Spring the plans, and Verizon the Customer Service. Yup, nobody has it all.

Collapse -
Why I love Sprint
by Natronx / April 14, 2008 / 6:37 PM UTC
In reply to: Verizon

OK, I admit it, the real reason I love Sprint is the SERO plan, which only costs $30 a month for 500 minutes plus includes unlimited mobile internet access and text messaging.

Collapse -
Good deal
by PortVista-190953130350169 / April 14, 2008 / 6:39 PM UTC
In reply to: Why I love Sprint

Sounds like a good deal if you get your unlimited weekends and nights.

Collapse -
sprint sero plan
by Natronx / April 15, 2008 / 9:18 PM UTC
In reply to: Good deal

Yes, nights and weekends are unlimited, starting at 7pm.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon