Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Splitting a Cable internet connection

by spokes / January 10, 2007 2:31 PM PST

Can you split a cable connection to go into two computers that can both be running? If so, what with and would the service be slower or same?

And if you can't do that, is there another way to run two computers (side by side) at the same time. Seems to me there would be conflict in doing this but you never know. thanks

(Windows XP desktop and Mac note book)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Splitting a Cable internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Splitting a Cable internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, that can be done.
by Kees Bakker / January 10, 2007 5:52 PM PST

You need a cable modem with an Ethernet connection and a device called a router.

You connect the cable modem with the in-port (WAN-port) of the router and the outgoing ports (LAN-ports) of the router with the Ethernet-connection of the PC's. The usual routers on the consumer market support 4 PC's wired. A wireless router suppports a much larger number of PC's that have a wireless Ethernet receiver (laptops come with it, generally, for desktops you need to buy them separately).

The additional advantage is that the PC's are connected in a home network, so it's possible to share printers and files, if you like. Although this might be difficult between a Mac and a Windows PC, as you have.

It depends on the connection speed of the cable and what the PC's do with it if you'll see a downfall in service. You can't look high-res streaming video (2 Mb/s) on 2 PC's simultaneously if you've got a 2 MB/s connection, of course. But just browsing and mailing and listening to 96 kB/s streaming audio will go very well with 2 PC's and a 2 Mb/s broadband.

You'll find a wired router for some $50 to $60 in any computershop. It's a very common setup. Every shop assistant worth the title will sell you the right equipment and the right cables or cards.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
"need cable modem and router"?
by spokes / January 12, 2007 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, that can be done.

Just out of curiousity, could I also split the cable into two computers with only a "router"?

Collapse -
You need both.
by Stan Chambers / January 12, 2007 4:46 AM PST

You should already have the modem. It is typically installed by the ISP when you purchase their service. Motorola Surfboard or some such modem.

Collapse -
Got it, but one more question
by spokes / January 13, 2007 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: You need both.

If it's not a cable wire and it's (I'm not sure I know the name) one of those ..... it's very much like a phone jack line/connector BUT it's much larger and the cable w/ it is round and bigger than a regular phone line.

Here's some numbers off of it (sometimes this is done in a hotel but mine is in an apartment):

24AWGx4P Type CM<UL> CMH E164469- F3 0990FT IC NETWORK UTP CAT 5E 350MHZ ISO/IEC (and it just keeps on going:) this was on this cable.

Can that be split, that kind? or same thing. Thanks a bunch, appreciate it. (no more questions) (I be done)

Collapse -
Nope again. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 13, 2007 7:23 PM PST

That's the Ethernet cable, fully digital. You cannot split any kind of a digital connection.

Collapse -
Splitting = nope.
by Coryphaeus / January 13, 2007 2:59 AM PST

When you split the cable your ISP will see two MAC addresses (the specific address of a NIC) and they will not allow that. One MAC address per customer.

You have to have a modem, period. The modem will have a MAC address, the router does not. It will connect to the router. The router will distribute the connection to up to four wired PCs. It does this by assigning a home network IP address to each NIC/PC.

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
2 modems
by ebaAay / January 28, 2007 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, that can be done.

can i run 2 modems off the one isp line

say i have one computer downstairs which has the modem, can i split the internet connection from the main box and run a separate modem to another computer upstairs

(i currently have wireless router but its very bad connection)

Collapse -
(NT) Read above, splitting = nope.
by Coryphaeus / January 28, 2007 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: 2 modems
Collapse -
ok so
by ebaAay / January 28, 2007 10:58 AM PST

i must run it through the original modem via a router
i currently have a wireless router, will that do the job?
and is it just cat-5 wire?

Collapse -
Simply. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 29, 2007 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: ok so

Cable (coax) -> modem -> router (wired/wireless) -> each PC.

Collapse -
by Tulsaboyw / July 31, 2008 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: ok so

the main idea for a router for home users is so that they can have more than one pc being on the internet ..

along with that having some sort of home network.

In my own case... I have 2 printers and 2 major device towers on my network...neither hooked to pc's ...

And another pc that is wirelessly hooked up to router too.

Point, there is no real reason to split cables when u can inexpensivley go router based..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.