Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

SplashLite download corrupted

by VirtualVivien / January 19, 2012 10:27 PM PST

I got a scary grey window with an image of a net on the right-hand side when Windows opened yesterday, so I did a boot scan with Avast. This gave me 3 error messages about the SplashLite 1.7.1 download, saying that setup files were corrupted. My downloads folder has been taking ages to open properly, and other folders have been quite slow too, including those on external drives. I uninstalled the program and deleted the download, then re-downloaded and reinstalled - slow running again. After deleting the download, everything is running fast again, and SplashLite seems to be working fine. Just thought I'd tell you in case there is a specific problem with your version of SplashLite.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SplashLite download corrupted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SplashLite download corrupted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and another thing...!
by VirtualVivien / January 19, 2012 10:58 PM PST

Just found something else that the download must have done - sometime back (maybe when I updated SplashLite?) the volume icon disappeared from the notification area of the taskbar on my computer, and I had to use the more cumbersome volume control option instead but, since I deleted the SplashLite 1.7.1 download, the volume icon has reappeared. I don't know how a download in one folder can affect so many things!

I am using Windows XP.

Collapse -
and it's gone again
by VirtualVivien / January 20, 2012 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: and another thing...!

The volume icon has now disappeared again, so I'm not sure whether it was anything to do with SplashLite or not now.

Collapse -
Hmm, not sure
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2012 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: and it's gone again

Do you mean this SplashLite? http://download.cnet.com/Splash-Lite/3000-13632_4-10972188.html?tag=mncol;1

If so it's an external download, meaning the software is not downloaded from Download.com but directly from the software developer at http://mirillis.com/en/

I've just downloaded that "installer" file myself and tested it with my own anti-virus, (ZoneAlarm), and also my anti-malware scanner Malwarebytes' Antimalware, and found no infection.

I also uploaded that installer file to Jotti's virusscan checker to test the file against a range of anti-virus scanners, and it also found none. Results here;
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-gb/scanresult/409ac253ac78f35f778f0d92f888c6f74d982ff3/28a81112f69603d3f4c88eebba793003a6113dc7

So it looks like the installer doesn't hold any viruses or other malware.

Can you remember what Avast found in those 3 errors? That might give a clue.

As to the volume icon I can't be sure, but are you sure the volme icon hasn't just hidden itself from that notification area tray? You could check this in Taskbar Properties, (right click the Taskbar and select Properties, then the "Customize" button.

If SplashLite keeps doing this though, then you may want to just uninstall it and try another media player. We often suggest the VLC Player in these forums.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks and more info
by VirtualVivien / January 20, 2012 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm, not sure

Thanks, Mark - yes, that's the one.

Glad it's not an infection anyway. I wonder whether it's just some kind of incompatibility issue.

I didn't note the full details but this is what I did note from the boot scan:

SPLASHLITE 1.7.1 setup.exe/splash_install.msi|...CAB archive is corrupted (this was described as ERROR 42127)
[another SPLASHLITE 1.7.1 setup/install file]: OLE archive is corrupted (this was described as ERROR 42144)
[another SPLASHLITE 1.7.1 setup/install file]: CAB archive is corrupted (this was described as ERROR 42127)

Thanks for volume icon advice - I found that it was marked 'hide when inactive' - though I don't know how it makes its apparently-random decisions on when it is inactive! It returned again yesterday then was gone again this morning, and is still absent despite my changing the setting to 'Always Show' - maybe I need to reboot.

Everything else is fine after just deleting the download - the program works and doesn't cause problems with folders. It's amazing how things have speeded up since deleting the download - it would never have occurred to me that it was just an item in the Download folder slowing things down. I can't find any other free player that plays mts files - vlc won't do it for me.

Collapse -
I can see why
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2012 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: thanks and more info

the volume icon disappears. At least, I have seen similar myself.

That SplashLite media player has its own volume control on the software window itself, and I am betting it 'takes over' the system volume control when it is running. I use the VLC Player and on my system it causes a strange effect. When it is running, sometimes I cannot change the volume from my own volume control icon. The icon is visible but moving the slider has no effect. I can still use keyboard keys to adjust the volume, or use the player's own slider. But then other times there is no strange effect.

When you have finished using your player, does it shutdown completely, or is it still open in the background? You could check this in the Task Manager, (right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager, then open the Processes tab). Use that to look for any SplashLight entries after you have closed it down. if you find any then perhaps it still has control of your volume icon.

I can also explain why your system runs smoother without those corrupted files. Windows uses "Explorer" extensively. Not just Internet Explorer, but My Computer, My Documents, Download folder and even the display on your monitor is Explorer. Explorer doesn't like corrupted files and it struggles when it comes across any. Deleting those downloaded files clears that problem if they are corrupted.

Mark

Collapse -
temperamental icon and Avast
by VirtualVivien / January 21, 2012 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: I can see why

Thanks, but maybe our computers, systems or maybe AV software have different problems! My volume icon has disappeared and reappeared several times over the past 2 days, and I have just tried what you suggested above. The SplashLite and vlc programs close OK and the volume icon is still there. I have no problems with adjusting the volume with my icon, including when the players are running. I am having problems telling SplashLite to stop playing a video at the moment though. Sometimes it responds and sometimes it doesn't.

A few searches revealed that Avast allegedly (according to reps, who seem a little defensive and petulant sometimes) sometimes flags files as corrupted when it simply can't open them. Maybe it's a temporary problem with Avast, like when it kept identifying Microsoft files as suspect. I think it runs all the time in the background.

Thanks for the tip on opening Task Manager - previously the only way I knew how to do it was Ctrl-Alt-Del!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.