Mac Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Spin Beach Ball

by frclyde / May 26, 2012 1:02 AM PDT

The ball spins on nearly every action & connection is slow.
I suspect need more Memory and is Comcast
contributing to slow speed?

<div>iMac Model 7,1, Intel, Memory 3GB. Speed 800 MHz. Version 10.6.8
</div>

frclyde has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spin Beach Ball
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spin Beach Ball
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by frclyde

Collapse -
So what's different from when it worked OK?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2012 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Spin Beach Ball

For example an Apple user I know installed an antivirus and from that day on... nothing but complaints. Think back to when it was OK.
Bob

Collapse -
Spin Beach Ball
by frclyde / May 26, 2012 10:53 PM PDT

Sorry so long in response. I don't recall it being different before Norton from Comcast installed.

I note this a.m. I also over looked mention when I type in i.e. Wells, the spinning Gear appears to
the left of the typing box. This is not new either.

Both Gear & Ball appear each time time I go for messages, sites etc.

Collapse -
First suggestion,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

get rid of Norton. It is not doing anything anyway.
Remove it and check for any improvement.

I also wonder if you are a recent mover from a Windows computer or if you use a Windows computer at work.

In both those cases, I find that the user uses the Red dot at the top of a window to close out the application they are working in.
The belief is that if it works like that in Windows, it should work like that on a Mac. It doesn't.

Check under the icons in the dock. Any that have a white or black mark underneath them are applications that are still running, even though there are no windows open, and are sucking up your memory.
A quick way to find running apps is to hold down the Command + Option keys and then press Escape (Esc)
This brings up a list of running apps.

Give it a try

That 800Mhz speed in your system specs is the memory speed and not the speed of your processor.

P

Collapse -
Spin Beach Ball
by frclyde / May 27, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: First suggestion,

I removed Norton which was supplies free by Comcast using Clean App. Used Quit on everything except
Safari I need for Internet and e-mail. There was info. in the Mail icon w/Eagle image, deleted all.

On sign in, the application appeared to function quicker. When I accessed this message site, the Beach Ball
appeared as I used the "down" arrow and appeared 3X's before stopping. The spinning Gear would appear
briefly at the head of the site or selection and would disappear when site appeared.

Over all, your recommendations appear to improve the entire operation. I want to give a couple of days to
see if their is improvement or I imagine it.

Thank you for the ideas.

Collapse -
Let's see,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.