Computer Help forum

General discussion

Speedfan temperature readings

by jaamja / July 21, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

Dear sirs:
I would appreciate to know how can you tell if temperature readings from speedfan on my PC are normal.
My readings are: HDO 106 F and Temp 124 F
Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speedfan temperature readings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speedfan temperature readings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a bit warm but not abnormal
by ramarc / July 21, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ramarc....... Thanks!
by jaamja / July 22, 2006 6:40 AM PDT

Thanks for your answer.
Sincerely,

jaamja

Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2006 4:43 AM PDT

The range of normal and acceptable temperatures, and how to lower them if necessary, varies based on the specs and type of setup you have. Thus, the following information would be helpful:

1.) What does the temperature 124F relate to...processor, motherboard, or case?
2.) What processor do you have?
3.) Is this your laptop or a desktop?
4.) Were these temps taken immediately after you turned your system on or after hours of use?

In short, the hard drive is a little warm but nothing to be overly concerned about at this point. The other one I'll reserve comment on until I know more.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Thanks John !! Answers.........
by jaamja / July 22, 2006 6:51 AM PDT

Thanks for your answer.
The readings today on SpeedFan 4.28 are: HDO 118F Temp 1 140F
Processor Mobile AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2500 plus
This is a HP Pavillion ze4500us laptop 1 year old.
Temperature are after one hour operation

Sincerely,

jaamja

Collapse -
Download Everest...
by John.Wilkinson / July 22, 2006 2:27 PM PDT

If SpeedFan is only reporting a single temp aside from the hard drive it's most likely the ACPI temperature. Personally I don't like that...I want individual temps reported from my CPU and motherboard. For that you can use a number of utilities, including Everest (free)...go Computer->Sensors and see what it reports.

Judging from reported temperatures from others with the same processor, yours is running hotter than the average (most reported only reaching that temp under heavy usage), but not nearing critical (which is reportedly 100C or 212F).

John

Collapse -
Everest downloaded........ Thanks!!!
by jaamja / July 22, 2006 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Download Everest...

Everest downloaded.
Temperatures: CPU 129F Toshiba MK4021GAS 108F
I am using also a cooler with 3 fans underneath the laptop since we bought our PC.
Does it helps?

Thans again for the help.

jaamja

Collapse -
Sounds good...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2006 7:10 AM PDT

A cooling pad is always a good idea when you have a laptop for it's hard to keep the temperatures down in a small space with little airflow and a small fan. And from what Everest reported your HD and processor temperatures are normal. (SpeedFan's report indicated they were a little warm, but I trust Everest far more than SpeedFan.)

John

Collapse -
Very helpful remarks.
by jaamja / July 24, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds good...

Thanks for all your insights and your help concerning PC questions and doubts.
We are trying to learn.

Sincerely,

jaamja

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.