Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Speed problems possibly related to Netgear WGR614

by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

I have a problem that I've assumed was with my Internet service provider, but I'm beginning to believe that it's the result of a problem with my Netgear WGR614 (v6) WiFi/wired router. After rebooting the cable modem, the router, and the PC, I get the advertised 4000Kbps download speed. After half an hour or so, it's down to 2000Kbps. Within hours, the speed is less than 100Kbps (no, I'm not missing a zero there) and sometimes is as low as 30Kbps.

The results of restarting individual components have been inconclusive at best, as have searches for trouble reports regarding the router. If others have seen this problem or know either that it does exist (or that it doesn't) that information would be helpful as I wrestle with my ISP. I'd like to pin the problem on the actual cause of the problem and fix it.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speed problems possibly related to Netgear WGR614
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speed problems possibly related to Netgear WGR614
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually I've fixed too many of these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

All of these had a LEECH using their wifi system. To fix it we first disable the WIFI and get wired. For wifi there is some issue with P2P apps so to fix that we get wired.

For the other issues we enable SSID broadcast and use WPA.

Sorry if this is so much to swallow in so few words but I can't write novels for each post like this.

Bob

Collapse -
Probably not a leech
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 5:49 AM PDT

Thanks, Bob. I'm fairly certain there's no leech involved here.* Currently I'm testing a direct connection to the cable modem. This will either confirm or refute my original theory that the problem is the cable modem or the ISP. Once I get past that, if it's not the cable modem or the ISP, I'll need to start looking for local causes.

*I have reasons for thinking this, including the fact that the neighborhood is made up of people older than I am, and I'm old enough to remember when dirt was in beta test.

Collapse -
out of the box that router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably not a leech

Would be used by any compromised windows machine since there is no security. It seems I'm teaching more about security today that doing any real repairs.

Remember, it's not people I'm finding to be the leech...

Bob

Collapse -
It's not a security issue
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 6:06 AM PDT

Bob, I know that out of the box the security is crap. I've fixed that. There is no leech here.

Although I?ve thought that the problem was not within the LAN, I?ve had this back-of-my-mind suspicion that maybe it wasn?t Wide Open West. Maybe it was the router. I disconnected the router, connected the desktop system to the cable modem and ?

At 3:37 pm on Saturday, July 21, 2007, immediately after rebooting the modem and the computer and after taking the router out of the picture, I saw 4309Kbps. This makes it look like it might be the router after all.

But less than half an hour later (with the desktop computer still connected directly to the cable modem) my downlink speed is a quarter of what it was.

Eight minutes later, the speed dropped to 684Kbps (this is still a direct connection to the cable modem -- no WiFi; no leech.)

So I withdraw my question. The problem is clearly not with the router. Not with a leech. The problem is squarely in my ISP's court.

Collapse -
Then the other issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 7:08 AM PDT

Just a note. - New!
by R. Proffitt Moderator - 7/21/07 2:07 PM
In reply to: It's not a security issue by pebkac179

Unless you share what security settings you used I can't drop that area. I'll share a link where I reveal WEP and MAC filtering is dead. Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=242736&messageID=2457489

I've also used the 614 so unless you have one with ancient firmware or it's busted I don't think the error is there.

To summarize use WPA and broadcast the SSID. Some find the speed or connection drops if they disable the SSID broadcast.

Eight minutes later, the speed dropped to 684Kbps

Is this some P2P app? Some are unaware about ISPs that do bandwidth shaping. Sorry if this seems nosy but it's something you might want to know about. Here's a link that notes a few ISPs that do this -> http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Main_Page See the article on Traffic Shaping.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs Is your ISP on this list?

Bob

Collapse -
It's not a security issue; honest.
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Then the other issues.

Maybe I'm not being clear here: WiFi is NOT in the picture at this point. The router is not connected to anything. The computer is connected directly to the ISP's cable modem and I'm seeing the same degradation I saw when the router was in the picture. The means (at least to my feeble mind) that the router isn't involved.

Wide Open West (aka "Wowway") provides http://www.dslreports.com/ as a place to check uplink and downlink speeds.

Wow may not be the sharpest ISP in the tool kit, but it doesn't show up on the AzureusWiki list.

Collapse -
Maybe there is an update
by PudgyOne / July 21, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

for the firmware for you isp's cable modem.

Rick

Collapse -
Just adding all the possible items. You aren't telling...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

If there is some P2P software in use. That is where most are complaining since many ISPs are adding shaping.

Bob

Collapse -
P2P? Nope.
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 8:27 AM PDT

Sorry. I missed "If there is some P2P software in use. That is where most are complaining since many ISPs are adding shaping.?

No P2P.

Collapse -
(NT) Then tell how you measure speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: P2P? Nope.
Collapse -
Did you read the rest of the thread?
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

I measure speed using the tool that Wide Open West provides to their clients. I provided the link in an earlier post. Here it is again. It's a fairly standard speed test:

http://www.dslreports.com/

Collapse -
Most if not all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

This is not a good format to hold all the info so if I miss a detail or you don't answer a question then I ask.

It appears to be something between you and your ISP to work out at this point.

Bob

Collapse -
Yep!
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Most if not all.

And that's the direction I'm headed. Wow had sent "technicians" to diagnose the problem, but they claimed it was my router.

Today when I took the router entirely out of the picture, I revealed their lies for what they are. With a direct connection (no router involved) my current connection speed is below dial-up speed (32Kbps). I've attracted the attention of some Wow corporate folks, so I'm hoping that they'll actually fix the problem now, not just lie about it.

Thanks for the help and the thoughts.

Collapse -
I have the same router
by PudgyOne / July 21, 2007 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably not a leech

and I updated the firmware

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v6.asp

Broadcast SSID
WPA security
do NOT use Mac address filtering

I have elcheapo DSL.

I connect at 54.0 Mbps on the router and my download speed is aroung 90 Kbps.

Did you update the firmware and follow Bob's advice?

Rick

Collapse -
The router is out of the picture
by pebkac179 / July 21, 2007 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I have the same router

The desktop computer is connected directly to the cable modem. The router is out of the picture. Disconnected. Not turned off, but it might as well be because nothing is connected to it. Nothing at all. Would updating the firmware of a router that's not connected to anything have any effect?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.