Computer Newbies

General discussion

Specific Websites won't load

by chicalita / August 13, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

Within the last two weeks I've experienced problems where specific websites will not load in entirety. The top headers of these sites will begin to appear but nothing else shows up. This occurs on large newspaper websites, such as the Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com and the LA times (http://www.latimes.com) and USA today. When I test it on smaller, independent publications (eg. http://www.chicagodefender.com/ and http://www.laraza.com) the website pages load with no problem.

The pages on the problematic websites appear to be trying to load first from some type of ad server.

I am running an HP Pavilion a1440n with Win XP, 1 GB ram.

Thanks for your help here.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Specific Websites won't load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Specific Websites won't load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't Load
by Darton Fury / August 13, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

If these sites are book marked/saved as favorites, delete them, get online and open a command prompt and type, ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Then type the URL in and try again. If it connects successfully add them to favorites again.

Collapse -
Firefox and IE issue?
by chicalita / August 13, 2006 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Won't Load

Good news and bad news.

I did as you suggested and the upside is that I can get the Chicago Tribune if I key in the url in Opera. It still will not come up in either IE or Firefox. It begins to but gets stuck and just hangs. During this time, on the Trib site it seems to be stuck in "Looking up ad.doubleclick.com."

Collapse -
Issues
by Darton Fury / August 14, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox and IE issue?

Delete Temp Internet files and all cookies from General Tab, Internet Properties. Try running Ewido and Ad-Aware and delete all they find. These are both free downloads. You might also look for a utility that finds and removes BHOs or "Browser Helper Objects."

Collapse -
Adaware pooped out
by chicalita / August 14, 2006 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Issues

I delete all the Temp Internet files and cookies from IE's General Tab/ Internet Properties, and ran Ewido. When I tried to run Ad-Aware it hangs at about 3800 files scanned.

Collapse -
Was stuck on Riched20.dll
by chicalita / August 15, 2006 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Adaware pooped out

When Adaware got stuck, the file was Riched20.dll. I went into Microsoft Outlook and ran 'repair' in case the file was corrupted. It no longer got stuck there, but it is now stuck on a Spysweeper file.

Collapse -
Chicalita.. You might want to look..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

at Lavasoft's forum, where there have been conflicts reported with AAW and the latest version of SS.

'We have had reports of user using the new version of Spysweeper being able to fix the problem by uninstalling Spysweeper temporarily to remedy the problem. This is also one option that can be tried. If this is the case for you, please let us know. We will be contacting Webroot (Spysweeper author) in this case to see if we can solve the compatibility issue'

Ad-Aware Freezing Issues

Carol

Collapse -
Using old version of SpySweeper
by chicalita / August 15, 2006 6:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the link. I kept hearing about so many problems with V5.0 that I have not upgraded from my current version of Spysweeper. After reading that posting, I will definitely wait before updating! Happy

Collapse -
Are you using
by PudgyOne / August 15, 2006 7:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just say "no" to Norton
by chicalita / August 15, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you using

Thanks for the post. I'm not using Norton IS on my desktop so thankfully that's not the problem. It was on my machine when I bought it, but it was one of the first programs I uninstalled and replaced with Zone Alarm (free). It was put on a client's machine though, so I thank you for that link.

Collapse -
Chicalita.. You may want to try..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

Scanning with AAW in Safe Mode. Smart move with SS. While the new version has worked for some, it seems to have caused a great deal of problems with most! (Or at least where I'm reading.)

Good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Safe Scanning
by chicalita / August 15, 2006 1:23 PM PDT

Carol,

Thanks for the tip. The good news is that Adaware successfully ran all the way through, and much, much faster (and it completed).

The downside is that I still can't bring up either the LaTimes or Chicago Tribune websites on IE or Firefox. I can bring them up on Opera, however, and I can bring the New York Times website up on all three browsers.

Collapse -
You're welcome, Chica...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe Scanning

Glad to hear the good news. And the bad news.. is no news. Or at least from LA and Chicago. (Sorry, I couldn't resist Happy ) In regard to the two news sites, not coming up in either IE or FF, I really don't know what to suggest. I recently read, where someone had the exact same problem, albeit two different websites. I have yet to see any resolution. However, if I do, I'll be sure to post back. In the meantime, I would think someone else in this forum, might be more capable of providing an answer.

I've just read the entire thread. You said, ' The top headers of these sites will begin to appear but nothing else shows up' and also 'It begins to but gets stuck and just hangs. During this time, on the Trib site it seems to be stuck in 'Looking up ad.doubleclick.com.'' Do these conditions remain to exist? And does it seem to be the same situation, with the LA Times? And lastly, have you blocked 'ad.doubleclick''? And if so, where?

I hope I haven't confuesd you anymore than you already are....
Carol

Collapse -
Chicago Trib and La Times Ads
by chicalita / August 16, 2006 12:51 AM PDT

"on the Trib site it seems to be stuck in 'Looking up ad.doubleclick.com.'' Do these conditions remain to exist?"

Yes, I just tried the Trib and the Times again, with the same problem. Even though I can get them on Opera, it takes an incredibly painful amount of time for the site to load, and after more than a couple of pages, even Opera goes phanthom and gets stuck.

"And lastly, have you blocked 'ad.doubleclick''? And if so, where?"
I was wondering that too. I have SpySweeper, Zone Alarm (free) and Bitdefender. I didn't see any sites blocked on either browser.

Collapse -
Re: Chicago Trib and La Times Ads
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

chicalita..

I was referring to whether you blocked the doubleclick cookies and their IP address. In IE you would go to Tools>Internet Options->Privacy. If you click where it says ''sites'', you can add ''doubleclick.com'', which will block the cookie. Then click on the ''advanced'' box, where IE will ask you which cookies you wish to install - or not. FF will do the same. Go to Tools> Options> Privacy> then the Cookie's Tab. Click on the exceptions box and add doubleclick. You can also set FF to ask you, when a cookie requests installation.

Additionally, the IP address can be blocked via a Host File. This link happens to refer to doubleclick in it's explanation. It will also explain what a host file is, if you weren't already aware of it. I'm not sure this will resolve your problem. At the very least, you would want to disallow doubleclick.

Maybe it will help..
Carol

Collapse -
Timing out in Ping and Tracert: maybe there are clues here?
by chicalita / August 16, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

I ran a ping and here's what I got:
Pinging chicagotribune.com [12.130.91.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 12.130.91.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

And on tracert:
tracert www.chicagotribune.com

Tracing route to chicagotribune.com [12.130.91.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms home [192.168.1.254]
2 12 ms 11 ms 9 ms adsl-65-42-80-1.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net [65.42. 80.1]
3 * 11 ms 9 ms dist1-vlan60.chcgil.ameritech.net [67.38.101.34]

4 12 ms 11 ms 9 ms bb1-g7-0.chcgil.ameritech.net [151.164.242.208]

5 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms bb2-p11-0.chcgil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.242.57]

6 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms ex1-p0-0.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.42.147]
7 15 ms 11 ms 11 ms ex2-p11-0.eqchil.sbcglobal.net [151.164.40.126]

8 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms gar8-p390.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.79.89]
9 56 ms 54 ms 55 ms tbr1034001.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.99.6]
10 57 ms 58 ms 60 ms tbr1-cl1.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.10.6]
11 63 ms 62 ms 62 ms gar4-p300.sffca.ip.att.net [12.123.13.174]
12 65 ms 62 ms 64 ms idf22-gsr12-1-pos-7-0.rwc1.attens.net [12.122.255.218]
13 54 ms 53 ms 54 ms mdf4-bi8k-1-eth-1-5.rwc1.attens.net [216.148.209
.118]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 *

Collapse -
Cookies enabled
by chicalita / August 17, 2006 8:52 AM PDT

Hi Carol,

I checked IE and I did have cookies enabled. I also cleaned out the host file by choosing 'manual' and rebooted my system (just in case. Most of my sites loaded much more quickly (thank-you!) but the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times are still rebelling and not loading in IE and FF. At least I'm learning a lot! Wink

Collapse -
You're welcome.. glad to hear your sites are loading..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 17, 2006 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Cookies enabled

more quickly. Best of all - you're learning alot. I have a couple more sites you can look at, if you're still interested in learning. I had found them the other day, but never posted them.

You might be interested:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/03/30/hosts.html

I'm not quite sure I fully understand all at the above, but when I read, 'The idea behind the HOSTS file trick is to redirect ad-server requests to an IP address where there is no server. Internet Explorer will fail immediately if it can't find a server, but other browsers (notably, Opera) wait much longer before giving up', it caught my eye. FWIW.

http://www.doubleclick.com/us/about_doubleclick/privacy/faq.asp

I'm still under the impression, one the learned folk at this forum, could probably tell you in two sentences why this is happening. (Maybe they're hesitant to ''interrupt our conversation''. :^O)

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Chicago Tribune and LA Times
by chicalita / August 18, 2006 1:37 AM PDT

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the links. I made a note to print these out when I get back to my office. (I'm mobile right now).

While almost every other website is working on IE and FF much better, the two troubled kids still won't come up. However, right now I'm having a bigger problem with my desktop so I may need to use my system recovery disks.

Collapse -
I had problem like this with webshots site
by acoxon1274 / August 18, 2006 9:39 AM PDT

My client's computer would not bring the Webshots site up fully. My work around was to install a new drive and set the orginal drive up as slave which allowed me to preserve his old data for later transfer. I then used system recovery disk to setup new drive. Every problem went away. Best I can tell there was too many corrupted files in the OS. Seems you are headed this way so I think you may fix your problem but what bugs me is you never really know what was wrong.

Collapse -
Disable anti-virus sofware!!??
by chicalita / August 19, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

I agree. I was thinking that this desktop did have too many corrupted files, too. It's a bit odd since it is barely a month old, and my two old machines never had these types of screwy problems and they lasted 4 and 5+ years.

On a more humorous note, I contacted the Chicago Tribune for any help they might have, and they suggested turning my anti-virus software off. That "solution" wasn't very appealing to me.

Collapse -
was it a cloned hard drive?
by acoxon1274 / August 21, 2006 11:42 AM PDT

Sometimes when a company has a large group of computers installed with custom software setup, the install people will build/put together a master copy of a harddrive and download it to all drvies on the new machines. This takes place while someone is onsite madly un-packing and hooking up the computer, monitor, lan connection. It works, it's fast, but the end user is sometimes the only one left to find out if the computer really works. Factory built computers are also often done from a master copy setup. Basically there is allot that can go wrong.

I also found that just installing a software program can corrupt an OS, same is ture for updating a drive, and MSN updates can do it too.

Some computer manufacturers tend to load their products up with background programs which don't always work or play well with the rest of the computer's software.

Simply put; you can have a new computer and still have corrupted/infected software.

The idea of turning off your anti-virus is a not a good call, more like and act of desperation. I think you are wise to avoid this kind of advice. At least they cared enough to respond? You may find that other people are having the same problem. Some system at the web sites in-question may have been changed to increase security or perhaps they are trying to tap into you web suffing and your protection programs are blocking the sites. To me, this is all the more reason to question the advice of diabling your anti-virus while online.

Collapse -
I have been reaqding
by PudgyOne / August 19, 2006 1:03 PM PDT

I have been reading your problem. I have Windows XP and I have tried these websites using both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I do NOT have any problems.

Let me ask you some questions.

What browser are you using to visit these websites?

What type of firewall are you using?

What type of virus protection are you using?

If you are using any type of spyware removal tools, What are they?

When you connect to the internet, what type of connection are you using, Wireless router with your sattlelite or some different type of connection?

I'm not sure if I an help you or not but... I have a friend that I emailed the other day and if these is more information, we might be able to help you.

Do you have the latest Java installed?

Are you using Javascript?

Post back the information and I'll see what we can find.

Rick

Collapse -
Answers
by chicalita / August 19, 2006 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I have been reaqding

Hi Rick,

I also have Win XP Media on my notebook, but my desktop (HP Pavillion a 1440N) is the only place I cannot access the Chicago Tribune and The LaTimes using FF and IE. On my notebook I have no problems.

On my desktop, I can get the problematic newspaper sites if I use Opera. On my desktop, I can get other major media sites such as USA Today and the New York Times on FF and IE. It's just the first Trib and LaTimes that won't come up. Interestingly the LaTimes is owned by the Chicago Trib.

Firewall = ZoneAlarm Free
Anti-virusware = BitDefender Standard
Spyware = Spysweeper and AdAware

I'm on DSL using a 2Wire DSL Gateway. The problem computer is directly attached to the gateway. The happy notebook is connected via an 802.1 card.

I saw (yours???) a post about Java and Java Script. I had Java installed and updated it. I wasn't sure about Java Script until I read the post about it here on this incredible forum, and updated it/enabled it.

Collapse -
First I'd like to say
by PudgyOne / August 19, 2006 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers

First I'd like to say that it doesn't matter if the LA Times and the Chicago Tribune are owned by the same company. Each company still has their own online department.

Now, most of us are using Sun's Java.

Downloaded at

https://sdlc2b.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=3D2EE4C250EC503789BA6B831782E7AA

if you want to check to see if your Java is working correctly click on the url below

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nwatl-ir4-loop.html

Also make sure you have all the plugins for Mozilla Firefox. They can be found here.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/

Now that Java is out of the way, we can discuss JavaScript.

JavaScript's defination is
A popular scripting language that is widely supported in Web browsers and other Web tools. It adds interactive functions to HTML pages, which are otherwise static, since HTML is a display language, not a programming language. JavaScript is easier to use than Java, but not as powerful and deals mainly with the elements on the Web page. On the client, JavaScript is maintained as source code embedded into an HTML page. On the server, it is compiled into bytecode (intermediate language), similar to Java programs.

If you are Using Mozilla Firefox and you have the extention of NoScript, it will not allow you to navigate and/or see Macromedia Flash objects. It will NOT even let you download things.

Macromedia Flash was bought out by Adobe. Using Mozilla Firefox first, go here
http://www.adobe.com/
and get
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Flash Player
and
Shockwave Player

Now do the same for Internet Explorer.

After you do that go to Internet Properties(options)
click on Security
put on medium
click on custom and make sure all three under scripting are on enable.

Restart your computer.

Now try the websites in question and let me know the results. If I don't get back to you right away, I am going away on Monday and will not be back on until Tuesday. If there is still a problem, is there a way to by-pass the 2wire gateway?

Hope this helps.

Let me know

Rick

Collapse -
Java + Java scripts were already addressed, but 2WIRE...
by chicalita / August 20, 2006 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: First I'd like to say

Rick,

I mentioned the connection between the LATimes and the Chicago Tribune because they may be sharing online marketing services to track customers, both in terms of reading and behavioral aspects. Also, this problem has been unique to those two papers and not to any of the other major papers, which makes this a curiosity.

The Java and Java Script issues were addressed earlier, but thanks for bringing it up again for anyone who wasn't aware that they are different issues.

I've been up most of the night working on another problem with this machine, related to a device driver that was not working correctly. It is a new machine so one would think that the current drivers were loaded for the card that came with it, but not so. Anyway, in the process of correcting that issue, I've noticed that all my sites are loading much quicker in Opera, IE and FF.

I had this machine a week before we migrated to 2Wire. This was done after we loaded all the business software that we needed on it. When you made that comment about 2Wire, I thought it might be worth disconnecting it and using the standard Ethernet non-wifi hardware we've had before. Imagine my shock when the LaTimes loaded in Firefox, although painstackingly slow. The slow load is not surprising, even my MAC friends in Chicago complain about the Times's load time.

Thanks for the idea!

Collapse -
If you are still loading slow
by PudgyOne / August 20, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

If you are still loading slow, then I would check for viruses and spyware.

Because I am leaving shortly for the shore, here is an article for you to read. It will help you clean out your computer.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Get_Rid_of_Spyware%2C_Adware%2C_and_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

This should help speed up your computer but, I think the 2wire sound like it's not as goos as using an ethernet connection. I have an old computer hooked up to DSL using an ethernet cable and I have a Notebook hooked up to a Wireless Router. I do NOT have a speed issue unless the daughter trys to add some search bar features that have tons of spyware in them. I also have blocked out Limewire and told her that we will NOT be downloading songs from the internet, like her friends do.

Clean out your computer and then try it. I connect fairly fast using DSL, it might be slower on dial up.

Talk to you on Tuesday

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
The computer is working fine
by chicalita / August 23, 2006 5:29 PM PDT

It turns out that I wasn't done with the problems of involuntary shut-downs. After discussing this and some of the other problems of this one month old machine with Business Tech Support, we agreed that the best way to proceed would be to reformat the hard drive and do a system recovery. Although this isn't the most enjoyable option (I have a lot of software used for business on my computer), and it took a long time to reload all the applications, it took care of the slow browser issues (as well as a host of other problems). It appears that there were problems in the partitioning of the drive that were the cause of many other malfunctions.

I've always had Adaware, Spysweeper, BitDefender and Zone Alarm, and running scans of all of these did nothing to help speed things up.

The 2Wire is a DSL router that actually connects with fast throughput speeds, however, it apparently was doing a few other things on the side. I don't have the time nor the inclination to look at it right now, since I'm already quite behind in my work.

Thanks for all the ideas. I hope you had a nice trip! Happy

Collapse -
2Wire is a DSL router
by PudgyOne / August 24, 2006 2:49 AM PDT

2Wire is a DSL router. The firewall on it may be causing some of the problems. Check the settings when you get a chance.

Had a great trip, slightly burnt but I had my Grotto's Pizza.

Glad to help you.

Rick

Collapse -
Java Correction
by PudgyOne / August 19, 2006 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.