PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Special Motherboards

by Mr._Stone / June 18, 2009 2:08 AM PDT

I?m about to embark on building a very extreme custom computer. Not for gaming or business. No, I?m not a kid. lol The computer will consist of multiple multicore CPUs and GPUs. I would prefer everything on two motherboards, but I?m unable to find the proper motherboard able to support my needs. Yes, I?ve seen motherboards supporting multiple CPUs, but lack multiple GPU support and etc? Does anyone know of motherboards that are able to support multiple CPUs (2-4+) and GPUs (3-4+)? Otherwise, I?ll build a cluster. Cluster: Four to eight CPU?s with four+ GPUs will be placed inside a custom submerged case. The computer will be used for heavy computer simulation and etc? The more compact with less hardware, wires, and etc? the better the computer will operate. I know this post sounds confusing, but further details are confidential. This post was made to ask if there?re motherboards supporting my needs.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Special Motherboards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Special Motherboards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual suspects.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Special Motherboards

Intel, Asus, and so on. Look at each site then at the motherboards there.

Frankly I think Tomshardware.com has done very nicely in making machines that I'd copy.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarify
by Mr._Stone / June 18, 2009 5:08 AM PDT

Unfortunately, the system I?m building is much more complex than high-end gaming systems. Sorry, I?m extremely sleepy and I made my question very confusing. Clarify: I?m looking for a motherboard that?s able to support two or more Xeon or i7 processors with three or more GPUs. Otherwise, I?ve got another untraditional custom cluster configuration.

Collapse -
Not to dissuade you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarify

But try tomshardware's forums as they see such things (if they exist.)

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 18, 2009 6:02 AM PDT

There are motherboards out there that support intel's new corei7/xeon processors w/dual sockets, and have 2 pci-e slots. However i don't see many motherboards with more than 3 pci-e x16 slots out there. If you need more gpus, maybe you could get a dual-gpu card like ati 4890x2 and do quad-crossfire.

Collapse -
Custom Motherboard
by Mr._Stone / June 18, 2009 8:32 AM PDT

I?m considering having Tyan or another company to custom design a motherboard to support four CPUs+ and four GPUs+. Most likely Telsa C1060 GPUs. I want everything squeezed in the least amount of space on the motherboards. However, I?m considering placing the GPUs separately. I?ve seen motherboards supporting up to four CPUs without GPU slots, but if I place the GPUs on separate motherboards this will allow me to achieve my goal without compromising anything. I?ll most likely go with premade motherboards to keep cost down since it?s already going to cost a tremendous amount.

Collapse -
Intel has it ready.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Custom Motherboard

I can't find the article I read last week where Intel demo'd a very ready to use supercomputer without the costs you would encounter.

Intel is a big company so set aside a week to find them.
Bob

Collapse -
quad opteron 8xxx, quad pci-e x16, up to 128gb
by ramarc / June 19, 2009 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Custom Motherboard
Collapse -
hi.
by shadowxjohn / March 24, 2012 3:09 PM PDT

just want to ask if you already find the system board that your looking for? i'm interested in that kind of system board too. so if could just help me out here i would be truly grateful to you...

thanks....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.