Computer Help forum

General discussion

speakers still on with headphones on

by allmyne69 / May 22, 2009 3:41 PM PDT

I have a Dell XPS_XPS 625 running windows vista premium 64 bit (SP 1). AMD Phenom(tm)9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.46 GHz. 4.0 GB RAM. When I play or listen to music, a game that I am playing or any other audio my speakers still play although my headphones are plugged in. Help. This is very serious. My wife is very upset with the sounds of gunshots (CoD World at War) after 10:00 p.m.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: speakers still on with headphones on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: speakers still on with headphones on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When did this start happening?
by Coryphaeus / May 22, 2009 10:40 PM PDT

There is a small contact in the headphone jack that is supposed to mute the PC speakers when the headphone plug is inserted. Have you done anything to the jack?

Collapse -
In Addendum...
by H-bound / May 23, 2009 6:13 AM PDT

to Wayne's question... Where do you plug your headphones in (the front of the box or the speakers)?
Try turning youy speakers off if you connect via the jack on the speakers (my headphones work just fine even w/ the speakers turned off)

@Wayne: You think as I do... DST ain't worth %"#?"#?&

Collapse -
(NT) ;-)
by Coryphaeus / May 23, 2009 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: In Addendum...
Collapse -
by allmyne69 / May 23, 2009 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: In Addendum...

of the box. I'm using a standard set of Aztec Lansing stereo speakers.

Collapse -
nothing at all
by allmyne69 / May 23, 2009 2:49 PM PDT

It started happening when I got my XPS 625 (Dell). My earlier pc worked just fine. Note!!!! The headphones are VERY cheap.

Collapse -
speakers still on with headphones on
by scuba-cat / February 18, 2012 5:35 PM PST

Thank you, that was brilliant!!! It worked.

Collapse -
Check connection
by Jonmor68 / May 23, 2009 6:53 AM PDT

this problem is usually attributed to the plug not not connecting properly.
Try pushing the plug in further or slightly back untill it mutes the speakers. If that fails try any other lead you may have with the same size plug and see if it cuts the sound off.
Unfortunatly not all plugs and sockets match up 100% all the time, different makers and worn cutters on lathe's during manufacture can make the difference.

Collapse -
Followed ...
by allmyne69 / May 23, 2009 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Check connection

your advice. Nothing new to report. I agree with your summation about the machining of the plug. The 'phones' are cheap. Do you think better quality will cure the problem. I'll still hang on to the cheap one's. My mom gave them to me and she's gone now.

Collapse -
Do your speakers havee a on/off switch ?
by NikRik / May 23, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

There are a couple of other actions you can take to mute your speakers while you use the headphones. Well at least on my Dell XPS400 O/S Windows XP MCE 2005,there is I have the option of a volume control that will turn the speakers off or I can also control the speakers thru my sound settings by opening up the volume control thru the little speaker icon on the taskbar ,to the far right at the bottom of my screen ,that also will allow me to turn off my speakers while still having the sound work with the head phones plugged into the tower! My previous PC the headphones plugged into one of the speakers and that would mute the speakers . So you should have other options then just depending on the headphone jack to mute your speakers for you ?
Good Luck ,NikRik

Collapse -
by allmyne69 / May 24, 2009 2:26 AM PDT

I feel like an idiot. I just turned of my speakers and the headphones work fine. You are a genius. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Collapse -
Dont get down on yourself !
by NikRik / May 26, 2009 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo!

I have many times had instances where the fix was right in front of me and it took someone pointing it out to me B/4 I realized it was staring me in the face . Happens to the best of us ! Iam just glad you can now enjoy your sound without any interferance .
Take Care NikRiK

Collapse -
Got it!
by bidufarewell / May 24, 2009 2:31 AM PDT

Hey since you mentioned your head phones are cheap i guess the jack (3.5 ) is somehow not upto the standard as it is designed to trip a small swtiching inside the base jack with cuts off the speaker lines. Please use a different headphone if problem still persists its an issue plzz take it to you r vendour.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.