Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Speakers have an echo

by firechiefkevin / May 12, 2006 8:42 AM PDT

Ok so i just bought this new HP computer and I put some new speakers on, Altec Lansing. Pretty basic, two speakers and a woofer. For some reason i get this echo sound and I don't know why, has anybody ever had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? It's really quite annoying and i'd like to find out what it is. Any advice?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speakers have an echo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speakers have an echo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Echo sound
by Papa Echo / May 12, 2006 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers have an echo

More information required.

How ''bad'' is the echo ? Is it echo or repeated ''beats'' ? What computer- lap top or desktop ?
Do the origional speakers have the same echo ? What sound/audio card ?

''Speakers Settings'' can be made at Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices- e.g. monitor mounted, taptop, desktop stereo speakers, surround sound speakers.... Your sound card audio device, e.g. Realtek AC'97, may have a sound adjustment for sound effects for different environments. There may be adjustments on the speaker system itself. If it is ''beat frequency'' echo, then try reversing the +ve and -ve terminals at the speakers or even the left/right speaker cables.

Collapse -
hmmmm
by PKsteven / May 12, 2006 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Echo sound

Open the volume control and mute the mic button.

Collapse -
I fixed it when i wasn't even trying to......
by firechiefkevin / May 13, 2006 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

So i did a driver reinstall and restarted my computer and when i opened winamp and tried to press play, it said error and the sound stopped working all together, SO, I rolled the driver back and restarted, and boom, my sound came back and the echo was, gone. WIndows is ridiculous -_-

But I love it at the same time, lol

Collapse -
Try this...
by rogue316 / June 10, 2010 6:37 PM PDT

I know you fixed this issue, but I have another possible solution to fix this...

Open the Control Panel, select "Sound, Speech and Audio Devices"

then select "Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager" here you'll probably see that "Stone Corridor" has been selected. To fix this go to the Drop Down Box and select "None". This should fix it. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.