Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

by eliz6beth / October 13, 2006 12:34 AM PDT

I am being bombarded with spam emails.

They are coming in as undelivered mail - the user name is different everytime but they are using my email address, so consequently being returned to me.

I use Incredimail (no comments on this please) and Spamihilator.

I do not want to change my email addres due to banking, forums and lots of other things I am registered with.

I do know that some others are having this problem too.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do about this.

Running XP Home
Processor 1.60GHZ AMD Athlon 64
480 MB of Ram

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if...
by Willy / October 13, 2006 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Spam

See if your ISP provides any spam control. Usually, you can block and reroute to junk folder and/or report spam. Thus, the most common spam is stopped plus reported and hopefully the ISP on its own helps further control unwanted spam emails. I also suggest you look into MailWasher(google for it) an email preview or listing pgm. that can control your emails as well, provided it resides well with your ISP protocols. I haven't used it as my ISP changed some things and no longer usable, but many others can use it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
See if
by eliz6beth / October 14, 2006 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: See if...

I have reported this to my ISP and am awaiting a reply.

I cannot use Mailwasher as it is incompatible with Incredimal 5 so thats the reason I now use Spamihilator. This is picking up most of the spam but there seems to be so many new ones.

Perhaps they will get fed up.

Collapse -
2nd thoughts...
by Willy / October 16, 2006 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: See if

They won't get fed up as its all an "automated" process spidering your email address. Your email address is plastered all over the system until yes, it does get old and results are fleeting and finally its dropped or reduced in volume, but overall that takes alot of time. As for your ISP taking action, unless its crimiial, consider it a lost cause. What I meant by ISP action are those provided such as "filters" the term they use which you enable or access to be ON and tweak them abit as time goes by. There are firm "email blocks" from offensive senders that you block but most ISP provide a "limited" number of blocks, but you can "pay" for more blocks(oh no!) to increase that list. Even then after awhile(2-3mos.) you can re-edit the block list for newer blocks against newer email senders. Then your Spamilnator can check the rest as they come through. I'm sorry for your inconvience but if you have, don't provide your full(true) email address in any way other than to your trusted list. Once, it gets out, it becomes common property of spam poopers to do as they will.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
Spam, origin
by JonathanCase / October 14, 2006 6:41 AM PDT

If it's originating from you (but not by you) that implies to me you could have an unknown and unsolicited application on your computer that's doing it. What antispyware/antivirus/antitrojan/firewall are you using?

Collapse -
Tarq57's response could be correct or...
by Edward ODaniel / October 15, 2006 9:38 AM PDT

it could also be that someone is spoofing your address which gets all undeliverable spam they send out rerouted back to your mail server.

Collapse -
spam and other woes
by mittens / October 19, 2006 8:06 PM PDT

you could also contact your server and find out if they have a provision for spam removal. We have Postini with our server, and it's amazing. However, I don't know if they handle individual customers or are just for companies and corporations.

spam is a nuisance, I agree. XP has a provision for blocking spam, as does Outlook Express, but both of those are worthless against the flood that can come rolling through.

One thing to remember; it ain't personal. It's not you they're after, it's your attention. As someone else in here said, all they need is your address; and the lists are sold, passed around, and basically spread a yard deep and a mile wide. Replying to them, even to opt out, is just what they want. Even opening something to read it can be a link back to them.

A suggestion i've made often, if you use Outlook, is to dump the address book. I've not used one in six years and never missed it. If you reply to someone in the body of the email, you dont need that address book at all, and it keeps your friends and clients from receiving your spam, adware, and viruses. Also, every time a bit of spam comes to your door, it puts its addy in your address book. Think about that.

Collapse -
by normanlamont / October 19, 2006 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: spam and other woes

I agree with the previous poster about not using the Windows address book. I use The Bat for email, so my address book can't be targeted by the typical spiders.

Over the last few months I've subscribed to OnlyMyEmail ( which has been very effective. You have to get your ISP to redirect all your mail to onlymyemail. It then applies filters and you can add 'trusted' addresses. I know there are other products and services that do this; I've used McAfee's Spamkiller and much prefer this.

Collapse -
Spam problem...
by agov / October 19, 2006 8:22 PM PDT

Hello Liz!

You might try this;
free to use for one email account.

But the best solution is a new account. Here is one I have used for several months without receive any spam, to my surprise;
Might it be spammers do not find Moldova interesting for business?

Collapse -
My guess is...
by GBTrevor / October 19, 2006 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam problem...

Someone who has your email address in THEIR address book is infected and they are sending out emails as you.
They would not be aware that this is happening though.

Also it is amazing the places your email address can end up on the web, many spammers pick them up (esp MySpace, MSN etc) and then send them out pretending to be you!

To be safe I would suggest you:
Get and run Cleanup (Removes all temp Internet files, cookies etc);
Get and run a good spyware remover, I like Ad-Aware Free;
I assume you have Anti Virus software, make sure it is up to date and run a FULL scan.

I also often sun another useful little utility called CWShredder;

Re one of the previous answers.
As for the person who mentioned in their reply that all spam gets added in your address book.....NOT if you do not open it and also not if you turn the option off.

Collapse -
that was my point
by mittens / October 20, 2006 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: My guess is...

if you dont use it, keep it empty, you cant send this stuff on to someone else.
and even at that, without postini I was getting hundreds of spams a day. it had nothing to do with addresses, at that point.

what they do is log isp numbers, and servers. then they just blanket spam them with junk. No one is sitting there typing in Your Address personally, this is all automated now and the addresses they use change with every mailing, sometimes only by one digit.

Collapse -
different accounts are less tasty
by Catrina_Feline / October 19, 2006 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam problem...

Don't get me wrong, e-mail address harvesters will find and capture all addresses they find in plain-text on the Internet, but once caught, many spammers will target major mail domains like Yahoo!, AOL, and HotMail, for many reasons; especially because those servers will report back to them if the "victim" read their message. As stated in another post, even clicking it to read it can send feedback, and the computers running the operation go "Whoa, cha-ching!" and you keep getting spam. I am the Webmaster for a great many sites, and spam harvesters are my worst enemy. So, now, I still use my Yahoo! Mail Beta account, but I have created a bunch of redirects out there for people to use (most of them something like and point them to my real inbox. Yahoo! does a great job of sorting most spam into a "Bulk" folder, but I don't even want to know it's there. So, I never post my e-mail address in plain-text (always pieced together in JavaScript or another client-side code, or usually in a small image). This works because most harvesters never execute JavaScript or use optical character recognition. And, as an additional precaution, any messages not sent through one of my forwarding accounts (directly to my Yahoo! one) are set to automatically be blocked. Spam problem resolved. For your situation, I would recommend moving to a lesser-known domain, abandoning your old e-mail address, being careful about not posting your new one anywhere on the Net, and never reading or giving acknowledgment of any spam. Usually, they'll eventually leave you alone if they think you don't exist anymore. Good luck, and I wish you well-deserved relief from your harrassment.

Collapse -
Tricks (or Treats)
by mudhawaii / October 19, 2006 11:26 PM PDT

Enough said about programs. Here are a few tricks that seems to work pretty good.

I have set up a few email addresses, each one has different filters. One will send to another to another and so on till it reaches the address that I open. All done automatically by the ISP and so fast it usally only takes a couple of seconds more than a straight email.

I also employ another measure: Friends, Family, Business Contacts, etc. have special codes that must be in the subject, or body. Such as all business client would have the same code and be sent to my business address. My filters look for this inorder to forward it. (Mine is my Business Card Signature block.)

Lastly, keep your system clean. Bookmark or maintain a written log of address you use/like (I use print screens). Trash everything atleast once a week, (history, ad-wares, links, etc.). Remove them all - don't pick and choose. The spammers/hackers have learned how to piggyback other email links. If your infected and open an authorized email they send and email to someplace which attaches their email and starts the cycle all over and as long as the now infected email remains on your system you can possible keep send a message to them.

Collapse -
specific precautions in configuring Outlook
by dino1736 / October 20, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Tricks (or Treats)

I am using Outlook 2003 and curious to know how at all "... every time a bit of spam comes to your door, it puts its addy in your address book". What are the specific precautions in configuring Outlook to block such action?

Collapse -
specific precautions
by mittens / October 20, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

Ive used Outlook Express for years, and the only precaution that's a sure bet is to just turn the address book off.
If you must have those addresses, make a folder for them, and pull from that.
I just automatically respond in the body of the email that I got, which ensures I have the current and proper address.
People change their addies all the time, and they all get dumped into that address book, along with every single solitary other thing that drops by, so that if you get spam, you have to clean out the addresses constantly, and update them.

I've not used the address book in years, and on two occasions when a virus did get in, at least my contacts Out There were not affected.

There is a provision to block senders, but I find it awkward, cludgy, and not always trustworthy. Plus you will rarely get the same address from a spammer anyway, so in that regard its totally worthless.

Collapse -
Cure for Spam
by Pikepole / October 20, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

I purchased a copy of Matador from a few years ago. I have found it very simple to use, only three buttons and very functional. I would highly recommend it to anyone having a Spam problem.

Collapse -
Your e-mail account has been hijacked (spoofed)
by batavier / October 20, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

Your e-mail account is being used by someone else for neferious purposes. That's where the undeliverable mail comes from. They are sending out mass junk e-mail, using your e-mail address.

Do you have a catch-all address (anything at In that case, look at the address the undeliverable mail is being sent (''returned'') to. You may be able to ask your e-mail service to block mail sent to this/these addresses.

If you only have one address and everything is going there, sorry, but your done for. The only thing to do then, is to change your address and to notify these key accounts of your new address. Unfortunately, NO spamfilter I know of can guard against spoofing.

Collapse -
No quick fix...
by mfumbly / October 20, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

I think you may have to bite-the-bullet regarding a new email account. I had a similar problem and finally did the following.

1) Create a new account with another email provider, there are several good ones to choose from. I use that account for all my important contacts including financial. Choose a unique user id, not related to your name, zipcode, phone area code, etc.

2. Create another new 'stealth' eamil account and use that for your online activites such as frivalous registrations, forums (yes, this one included), tech support groups, the list goes on. Also, never ever post your email address in an online forum.

3. Keep your old spammed email account and monitor that from time to time for thing that might slip through. If your email allows easy flagging and address blocking of spam (such as yahoo) use that to flag and block your spam without opening them.

Not elegant but it worked for me and not as painful as you might think.

Collapse -
Exact same problems for me, here's my verdict:
by robnan / October 20, 2006 7:32 AM PDT

I use BT Webmail, and it has a "Bulk" folder which filters out every single one of these e-mails, each using a different name... Of yeah I know the score. The simple thing is, one of the forums you joined, websites or whatever must have given out your e-mail address.

I am a member of CNET, MySpace, Fileshack, and many more.

Now, I can guarantee you, CNET WOULD NEVER DISCLOSE YOUR E-MAIL, but I'm not sure about MySpace. If Incredimail has a "bulk" folder for spam, I'd be thankful - I don't think there's much can be done, I just get used to it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) PS: How many e-mails a day? 10+ for me.
by robnan / October 20, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
not clear
by mittens / October 20, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

do you mean how many emails you GET a day, or how many spam emails you get...I get 10 to 20 regular emails daily, and maybe two or three pieces of spam. When I check my postini folder,however, where the junk is stored, there can be upwards of fifty to 100 of them in there.

The one or two I delete by hand are minor to what I used to get.

Collapse -
well let me clarify
by robnan / October 21, 2006 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: not clear

Yes, I did mean 10 e-mails a day. Keep it friendly, I've noticed you getting a little snappy in the reply, and in your original post.

Collapse -
Lucky You!
by NANCYAC / October 20, 2006 7:02 PM PDT

I average over 400 per day maybe 1/3 of them are legit!
Spam catcher is worthless so I am anxious to try some of your suggestions.

Collapse -
how to stop spam
by judithst / October 20, 2006 12:39 PM PDT

You can download MailWasher. There is a free copy and a pro copy that sells for about $65.It intercepts your mail before it goes to your ISP. and you can delete, bounce, and blacklist from the headers shown.

Collapse -
by Sch29 / October 20, 2006 2:07 PM PDT

Liz, I think that you brushed off Mailwasher too quickly. I have been using it for years and it works great.
To explain, you can view incoming emails in mailwasher BEFORE opening them in your computer. This will show you the text and whether or not it is spam or some sort of virus.
Mailwasher will notify you if an email contains a virus BEFORE you open it in your computer.
After you have reviewed all emails before opening them, you can label to be blacklisted, and all future emails from that address will all be blacklisted so that you can delete them BEFORE opening them in your computer.
Mailwasher allows you to BOUNCE all emails that you do not wish to open. After a sender receives several bounced emails from you, he will quit sending them to you.
Mailwasher has cut down the number of spam emails I receive from about 25-30 per day to 2 or 3 per day.
I recommend that you try Mailwasher at

Collapse -
Spam - Liz's problem
by jghutto / October 20, 2006 3:04 PM PDT

I have Incredimail also (Incredimail XE). I love it and don't want any negative comments about it either. It has a spam filter. Anyone NOT ON YOUR APPROVED LIST goes into it. You can scan through those e-mails and if you recognize a subject or sender that is some way related to you or something that you are expecting, you can just check "add to approved list" and it is immediately transferred over into your regular inbox. Then you can just check "delete" and get rid of all that other stuff without ever opening it. I find that basically all that goes in the spam e-mail that I want is usually a "confirmation" of something I have ordered or a first time correspondent. When I check to ADD THEM TO MY APPROVED LIST they never go in spam again. I also review my approved list from time to time.

This is pretty easy. I just don't like to see the other trash that is sent either, but it is real easy just to delete.

Collapse -
by eliz6beth / October 24, 2006 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam - Liz's problem

Hi Folks

Many thanks for all your replies - I have been away for a while so am just catching up.

First of all I will say that I have AdawareSE, Asquared free, Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster which I run once a week with all other tests.

Every night I run 4 diskclean and crapcleaner and delete all temp files etc. So I think that covers that side of it.

I find that Spamihilator is gradually learning to suss out my spam but of course some still get through which I block and delete and never open.

I would change my email address but it would mean informing banks - companies and many other people and would be a lot of bother.

I use my email address with Incredimail - and the version I use is incompatible with Mailwasher (which I used for years)hence Spamihilator.

I do have 4 other email addresses which I use for various things and Spam on those is almost negative.

Guess I will just plod on regardless - and hope they get tired before I do.

Many thanks to all of you.

Collapse -
They will NOT get tired
by robnan / October 25, 2006 6:47 AM PDT

because it's most likely that this spammer, like all others, has assigned a script to your e-mail address, and any others he/she is spamming and all the work is taken care of, so it's quite likely a machine is causing you, me, and a lot of other people all the bother - not human flesh.

It may seem hard to believe but until you read Jeffery Deaver's Blue Nowhere (where the main character is actually a Machine) it will probably seem impossible.

Collapse -
he;s right
by mittens / October 25, 2006 9:26 AM PDT

we tend to think of spammers as people out there with a list of addresses, gleefully sending us (US) personal spam, hours and hours of hard work, yadda yadda. I have a friend who regularly emails all these spammers back and asks them why they are picking on her, please stop...

These are machines, called bots. They are set up to read IP numbers, addresses, everything. They send you stuff with a different number attached or embedded, everytime. If you look at the addresses you can see it might say "Hi suzy 19879" this time but the next time it will say "Hi Suzy 1988987"
the numbers change randomly, which is what makes it so difficult to deal with.

Here's a thought.

one, get rid of your address book
two, let the spammers have your main email box
three, set up a file in your email where only selected addresses are automatically sent. The computer will put your good addresses in that, and only those.
When you want to see your email, open the file and there they are.
That way you can batch delete the spam without having to cherrypick.
Yahoo also has an excellent spam guard setup, if you havent tried it, that might be worth a look, too. spam simply does not get in.

Collapse -
He's right
by eliz6beth / October 25, 2006 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: he;s right

Thank you very much Smithcomp and Mittens - Its the first time I have had a full explanation of what Spam is, where it comes from and how its done and it gives me a lot to ponder on.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problem.
by robnan / October 25, 2006 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: He's right
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.