Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

SP1a to SP2 upgrade

by Eddygru / November 29, 2006 7:39 AM PST

He how can i upgrade Windows service pack 1a to Windows service pack 2. And how do i do it. I tried microsoft update and it didn't work. i don't have windows service pack 2. Please can any body help.

thanks,

Eddy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP1a to SP2 upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP1a to SP2 upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Upgrading to SP2...
by John.Wilkinson / November 29, 2006 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: SP1a to SP2 upgrade

The first thing to do is scan your computer to make sure you are clean of all malware, something that can prevent SP2 from being installed correctly. Next, I would run SFC to make sure your system files are in order. Finally, I would click here to download the SP2 installer. Just ignore the alert telling home users not to download it and use Windows Update instead.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Get CD from MS
by sailorman313 / November 30, 2006 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrading to SP2...

I was having trouble with the downloaded upgrade to SP2. I was instructed by MS to go back to the computer manufacturer for assistance. So I ordered the CD they offer for shipping, $4. It installed the upgrade first time no trouble.

Collapse -
After Following John's Excellent Advice....
by tobeach / November 29, 2006 2:17 PM PST

don't forget the 100+ patches & upgrades to things like Media Player etc.
Before that, you might want to checkout this post (especially about blocking IE 7 force load) and suggested alt browsers.

Once you're SP2. you can use Sun Java (JRE)5.0 Update 10 & Firefox 1.xx or 2.0.
Don't forget to update Adobe Reader/Acrobat.
Here's a list of programs that may, may not or may work differently after installing SP2:
LIST.

I also suggest a router. Best of luck!!! Happy

Message was edited by: admin to fix broken link

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the Link Fix, Admin!! :D
by tobeach / November 30, 2006 2:25 PM PST
Collapse -
SP1a to SP2 upgrade
by Atvrunnerboats / November 30, 2006 9:04 PM PST

Dear Eddygru:
I installed SP2 awhile back, and it gave me nothing but trouble, so I had to reformatt my windows, now I do only the custom windows updates, Sp1 is in them, and all the other updates too, haven't had any problems since, and I'm not the only one that has been having problems with SP2, and I don't have the automatic updates on anymore.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
SP2 Kills my computer - Gateway 700S
by Puckster15 / December 1, 2006 10:11 AM PST

Has anyone been able to install SP2 on a Gateway 700S?

I have tried to install SP2 three times. Each time my computer would not complete the boot into Windows. My first experience I spent over 8 hours with my computer manufacturer, first trying to install SP2 and then rebuilding my computer. I had to reinstall windows and all of my software. It was days before the computer was fully functional again.

The second time I worked directly with Microsoft. I spent an entire weekend working with a technician over the phone. Thank goodness for 800 numbers or my phone bill would have been through the roof.
Both the computer manufacturer and MS finally said for me not to install SP2. They didn?t know why it wouldn?t work, but said don?t try.

After an un related crash, I decided to give SP2 one more try. Surprise, the same thing happened again. I must say I am getting quite good at rebuilding my computer.

I don?t understand why it won?t work, the computer is ?designed for Windows XP?, but apparently not SP2.
I find it frustrating since there is software that I would like to run that requires SP2.

My computer is a Gateway 700S PC with Windows XP Pro, 512 Meg ram, with an 80 and 200 Gig hard drive.

Aay ideas?

Collapse -
SP1 to SP2 Upgrade
by ISARick / November 30, 2006 10:23 PM PST

I didn't just have trouble upgrading, my machine booted into the BSOD after the upgrade and nothing else. No matter what I tried I could not even boot into safe mode. Spent several hours with the hardware vendor (very well-known) support with no luck. When they asked me to pull out the graphics card and told me "not to worry" multiple times, I decided it was time to do it on my own.

I finally had to use my XP CD and do a repair which got me back in. Many of my settings were lost and my control panel still gives me exception errors over 50% of the time. I calculate that I spent nearly 40 hours getting it running because I didn't want to lose program settings and data. I couldn't even get to my backup to restore. Now all my data is sitting on an external hard drive so I can at least plug that into a different machine to access it.

I know we're told constantly by everyone it's time to upgrade, but for my current machine that will never happen again.

Collapse -
ISARick: This Can't Hurt & Should Help Your Errors......
by tobeach / December 1, 2006 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: SP1 to SP2 Upgrade

try running a CHKDSK/R. This should replace any corrupted system files (Control Panel?). Here's how:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
files if copy is ok.
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. Good Luck!! Happy

Has worked wonders for me ,from time to time, as needed.
The other thing I often suggest is using C(rap)Cleaner. It removes many (not normally cleaned) ever building files. See 4th post down
HERE
Hope this helps your dreams! Grin

Collapse -
Before Upgrading from SP1 to SP2...
by john55440 / November 30, 2006 11:12 PM PST

Before upgrading from SP1 to SP2, (1.) I used Windows Update to make sure that SP1 was 100% up to date. I installed everything available, even the optional stuff. (2.) I went to the HP web site, and updated everything available there. That site included HP-specific patches that were supposed to be installed before the SP2 update.

Collapse -
DON'T DO IT!!!!!
by Gillette / December 3, 2006 3:22 AM PST

Installed SP2 on my computer which at the time was new. It corrupted Windows XP Pro, and had to reinstall. Thought that I would have better luck if I installed SP2 before I installed any of my programs, but the same thing happened. After complaining to Microsoft, they told me that there is a program you can download from their website that will block SP2 from being installed during Windows Update! That should be taken as a sign that SP2 should be avoided.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.