Windows Legacy OS

Rant

SP1 for Windows ...Microsoft irresponsible

by seaskys / November 17, 2012 4:27 AM PST

Why can't microsoft make this update install properly!
I've been trying now for 3 entire days, done all that was
supposed to FIX the problem and for the 1000th. time gave up again. Been trying for 2 years to get this damn
update installed, including un-installing all my security programs, downloading the update readiness tool, running FIXWIN, etc. I have tried ALL, is it really worth the
effort??? Do I really need it? I think it is irresponsible
of Microsoft to not fix this! If it is necessary can anyone HELP???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP1 for Windows ...Microsoft irresponsible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP1 for Windows ...Microsoft irresponsible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only those new to XP, Windows and such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 4:36 AM PST

Seem to write such. You are dealing with an over decade old OS that has many discussions and does work OK unless there is OS damage or such. Microsoft does not deal with that well so you have choices. Do you need folk to spell them out for you?

Bob

Collapse -
Service Pack 1
by mchainmchain / November 17, 2012 4:58 AM PST

Are you sure it is SP1?

Reason I ask is because XP is up to Service Pack 3. It is Windows 7 that has as the most recent patch as SP1.
Vista is up to SP2.

Did you mean to post in the Windows 7 forum?

If you are starting with the original XP with no service packs installed, you need at least SP1a to start. Then, and only then, can you upgrade to SP3, as SP1a is a requirement for SP2 or SP3 to install properly. I suggest that, if this is the case, you go and download the entire SP1a file and SP3 file and install them offline only.

After that, you will need to visit Microsoft Update site and download and install literally hundreds of security updates.

XP, XP SP1a, XP SP2 versions are not supported by Microsoft anymore. Only SP3 is. You are open to all sorts and kinds of hacker and malware vulnerabilities just on your operating system alone if this is not put in.

Time to move on?

Collapse -
Thanks
by seaskys / November 17, 2012 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Service Pack 1

I will do as you suggest. Would upgrading to the new Windows HP do it also?

Collapse -
Good to hear
by mchainmchain / November 17, 2012 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

As for upgrading to a newer windows operating system, it is only possible to move to Vista (upgrade, that is) from XP, and then from Vista to Windows 7. So, it would be at least a three step process, and that is assuming no glitches or problems arise in each upgrade.

To go directly to Windows 7 or 8 from XP is not possible, as you cannot upgrade to either from XP. You must do a fresh clean install to use either new operating system and XP must be removed by formatting the hard drive first before attempting a clean install of 7 or 8.

Is your computer fast and/or powerful enough to run 7 or 8 so that you are happy with your results?

Pardon me, not sure what Windows HP is.

In every case, you will need to go to your computer vendor site to get the latest drivers that are specially made for your computer, that you need, for each version of the operating system you are trying to upgrade.

Do not go anywhere else to get these drivers.

Are you ready to do that?

Collapse -
till..
by seaskys / November 18, 2012 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: Good to hear

My PC is Windows Vista Home Premium, LG, and it works like a champ! It is fast, I also have Microsoft Office 2007 installed and for what I use it for it is fine. I'm an artist, and have several sites for my work,
also I create many digital collages, and write a lot of articles pertaining to my art, and occasionally create
invites, posters etc. I think I should stay with what I have, and when I purchase a new PC will make sure I keep up to date with the updates. I was traveling when the SP1 came out and for a year or so was not active on my PC, then lightening hit my modem, and I had my keyboard replaced, since then I've tried and failed to do the SP1 update many times. Updates for both windows & Office are installed as they come up
from the updater. I was just afraid that without the SP1 I would have problems, but as I have read many had problems not only with the install, but many problems after and uninstalled it. Again thanks for your input!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.