TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

sound problems with uverse

by Dholloway6683 / February 18, 2011 2:09 PM PST

I have had an issue with my surround sound cutting out when I am watching HD channels on my uverse. Whenever I bypass my surround sound and watch through my TV speakers I dont have sound issues. I am thinking that my home theater reciever is simply too old and is not compatable with the uverse. I am considering buying a new system that has HDMI ports and is compatable with HD tvs. What do you think? Also it appears that the wiring that is run through my walls is rated at 3.92 ohms and the wiring for the new system is rated at 3 ohms. Is this going to cause a issue or will this be ok? Any help would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sound problems with uverse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sound problems with uverse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sound system wiring
by Dholloway6683 / February 18, 2011 9:32 PM PST

ok here is exactly what the wiring in the walls of my house says

E100316 * 16 AWG 2/c (UL) TYPE CM-CL2-CL3 Audio Cable Sun Res W/O #772440 Feet #32752

Can anyone tell me how many ohm wire this is?

I am looking at buying the Sony BDV-E370. Will this wire work with this system? I cant run new wire in the house without tearing out drywall.

Thanks Again

Collapse -
sound issue
by Dholloway6683 / February 19, 2011 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: sound system wiring

after 2 hours with Sony i believe it will work

Collapse -
You don't give us enough information
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2011 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: sound issue

What are the exact makes/model numbers of all equipment involved? How is everything connected, including types of cables? And could you be more specific about what channels are dropping out under what circumstances? Frankly, you ask whether or not your older receiver is 'compatible with UVERSE' but at the same time fail to mention what model you are referring to ;).

FWIW, your speakers wires are fine. Also, audio dropouts are not at all uncommon with UVERSE (along with other problems with their service). But let's start with your system and how everything is connected before criticizing UVERSE.

Collapse -
Sound problems
by Dholloway6683 / February 21, 2011 7:42 AM PST

I had uverse come out again and I have it working to the best of it's ability. My receiver I a Sony STR - DE595 and the tv is a Sony 46ex500. The uverse box is a Motorola box. I am using a HDMI cable from the tv to the uverse box and an optical cable from the stereo receiver to the tv. Uverse says that I have to change the digital sound setting on the Motorola box from "surround" to "stereo". They say that they can not support full pro logic 5.1 without it cutting out. It cuts out on every hd channel. Since I changed it to "stereo" it is not cutting out anymore but the sound is not as crisp.

Collapse -
If you ever try it again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 7:46 AM PST

Some repeat better results at 1080i.

While I think I know why, I could be wrong.

Collapse -
What does that have to do w/ audio? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2011 11:21 AM PST

Collapse -
That's a good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 1:45 PM PST

The theory is about bandwidth. Worth trying as a last resort.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2011 12:10 AM PST

I still don't follow. Whether or not you have your components/UVERSE box set to output video resolution at 1080i/720p or 1080p, it will not affect audio in the scope of what we are troubleshooting in this case.

Look again at how his components are connected currently. He's trying to pass back a DD5.1 signal from the HDTV which on the majority of brands does not work.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2011 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: ??

No need to follow. It was something a few have showed me and was discussed. I offer it as something to try and it will confound some folk (you?) when it helps.

Go figure!

Collapse -
The 'riddler' strikes again(!) ;) [n/t]
by Pepe7 / February 22, 2011 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: ???

Collapse -
What riddle was there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2011 2:38 AM PST

I offered something that folk shared with me and it helped at times.

If you want a technical reason for it to work, maybe you can toss out a few theories on it.

Collapse -
The horse is already dead (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 23, 2011 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: What riddle was there.

Collapse -
Another way to connect things
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2011 11:35 AM PST

Ideally, that's not how you should connect your components. Many HDTVs will not pass back surround sound, so that's might be what you are experiencing. I assume you also have surround sound speakers connected to your Sony STR-DE595?

Try the following connections instead:

***MUTE the volume on the Sony HDTV

UVERSE Motorola box [VIP1200 or VIP1216??] (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sony HDTV
"" "" (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Sony STR-DE595

There may be a setting in the UVERSE menu where you select 'digital optical' as an audio choice. This way your surround sound goes from the Moto box to your receiver, and along to your surround speakers where it belongs.

There may be a UVERSE user discussion forum online where you can determine how other folks have set their boxes up w/ home theater components like yours. YMMV.

Collapse -
It may just be the nature of the beast
by trbSLL / April 19, 2011 9:22 PM PDT

I have a Denon AVR 791, LG HDTV along with UVerse and have HDMI cables for all connections and I am experiencing the same problem of audio cutting out. I'm not sure which manufacturer cable box I have but when I go to audio set-up the only option I have is stereo or surround. When I choose surround and watch tv (5.1 audio) the sound will cut out and when I choose stereo the sound does not cut out. I have not tried Optical Audio because that will not work with HDMI. Has anyone talked to ATT about the problem.

Collapse -
Yes, if you peruse a UVERSE centered forum
by Pepe7 / April 20, 2011 12:14 AM PDT

There are a whole slew of complaints. Here's one place to start-

Collapse -
Very disappointing.
by trbSLL / April 20, 2011 2:46 AM PDT

It's very unfortunate this problem has not been resolved. I wonder if Comcast, Dish, Direct TV, etc. have the same problem or if this is specific to UVerse.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Very disappointing.

But not everyone has problems. The problem is finding support (there is little to none for your equipment.)

I'm unsure how the industry will be able to resolve this when it works for Joe with this unit and doesn't for Jane with that unit.

Beyond cutting out, lip sync issues seem to plague a lot of content.

Collapse -
I wonder tif he lucky few have a different cable box.
by trbSLL / April 20, 2011 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I didn't realize some people were not having this problem. I wonder if they have a different cable box or more qualified tech's to resolve the issue. Regarding lip sync, I had that problem with Comcat and Uverse but luckily my AVR has an offset feature which allows me to compensate for it and it works surprisingly well.

Collapse -
Pepe7 has it.....
by hyghwayman / April 24, 2011 3:42 AM PDT

I too use Uverse w/ the Moto box.
I also have audio drop outs when listening to audio from my Uverse through my reciever, I get none when listening through TV speakers. I beleive this is due to audio signals swithing/changing between 5.1 and 2.1 and my older Reciever not able to switch fast enough.

My set up:
OTA home made antenna = coaxial
Uverse = HDMi out, Optical (toslink) out, Component/audio (red/white) out.
Tv = Sony KD-34XBR970 w/ 1 HDMi in, 1 Digital audio out and Component( blue-green-red)/audio (red/white) in and audio (red/white) out. Coaxial OTA in and out
Xbox 360s = HDMi out Optical (toslink) audio out
Pioneer SVX-816 7.1 SS reciever = Component(green-blue-red)/audio (red/white) in/out, Optical (toslink) & component audio out. (no HDMi in or out)

How I have it all set up:
Home made antenna = Coaxial in to TV (digital OTA (HD picture with 5.1 audio when available)
Uverse to TV/Reciever = Compnent(green-blue-red) and composite(red-white) out to TV. (good picture up to 1080i and 2.0 audio) - Optical (toslink) audio out to Reciever. (5.1 audio when available)
Xbox 360s to TV = HDMi to TV and Optical (toslink) audio to Reciever ( can listen to audio through TV speakers(2.0) or through Reciever(5.1 when available)
TV to Reciever = Digital audio out to Reciever

I hope this all helps,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.