Computer Help forum

Question

Sound Problem-Headsets only work on right side

by mike281 / February 28, 2014 12:50 PM PST

for years i have been using headsets to listen to music on my Dell Inspiron 620 computer. Lately only the right earphone carries sound. i have tried other headsets, same problem.
when i am not using headsets, the sound comes thru both sides of the speakers correctly.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Problem-Headsets only work on right side
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Problem-Headsets only work on right side
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Desktop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2014 1:15 PM PST

Install another sound card?

Collapse -
by mike281 / March 2, 2014 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop?

Hi Bob, thanx, With reference to replacing the sound card, I've never done anything like that. I'm not too steady working on small stuff like inside the computer. (i am 72YO with a tremor) i did a fresh download of the sound drivers from Dell's help page yesterday. That didn't help. the speakers are working fine, it is just the left headset that does not work when i plug in a headset. i've tried the headset jack in both the front and rear of the computer and more than one set of headphones. Same result, no left channel.

I do have a few months left on a service contract with Staples, that i got last year when i had major problems and had to have the OS replaced. If i need a new sound card, maybe i could buy it from them and have them do the install for me. What do you think? Thank you! Mike

Collapse -
Why not a USB
by itsdigger / March 2, 2014 2:46 AM PST
Collapse -
P.S
by itsdigger / March 2, 2014 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Why not a USB

if it's under warrantee (for free) by all means have them fix it

Digger

Collapse -
by mike281 / March 4, 2014 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: P.S

i have discovered another problem which i guess is related. i am a big user of Flight Sim 9. Today i went to look at some "videos" i made of flights that i set up on FS9 and i see that instead of playing smoothly, they all have shaky images. The basic FS9 does not have this problem. Is it possible that i need a new video card, in addition to the sound card?
In reading some comments online from guys who have purchased those USB plug-in type cards, it seems like they are not made too well and don't work for too long. If i have to replace anything, i want to make sure that it is up to the standard of my original DELL hardware.
I use the computer most of the day, playing music videos or FS9, so i need some cure that is reliable.
I would appreciate your thoughts on what would be the best course of action.

Collapse -
Up to you
by itsdigger / March 5, 2014 12:45 AM PST

I know folks that are using the USB sound cards with successfully but up to you as far a a new GPU goes you should check with the game mfg. and see what the requirements are . We don't know any specifics about your computer as far as PSU or processors so we can't guess .

Take a look at Tom's Hardware at the list of best bang for your buck GPU's .
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.