Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Sound playing out of speakers not headphones

by dfm2005 / January 25, 2009 5:26 AM PST

Plugged in headphones to laptop and sound played out of speakers not headphones. When in the volume control options muted speakers then no sound played. When looking at the green bar only should up in the speakers not headphones.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound playing out of speakers not headphones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound playing out of speakers not headphones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2009 11:26 AM PST

1.) Verified the headphone jack works?
2.) Verified the headphones work?
3.) Downloaded/installed the latest audio drivers for your laptop?

You provided few details, but that is a starting point.

Collapse -
re have you
by dfm2005 / January 25, 2009 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Have you...

1. Headphone jack worked in windows vista before installed windows 7
2. Headphones do work
3. I am using drivers from Microsoft

Collapse -
Update the drivers...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2009 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: re have you

As a general rule, you should avoid using Microsoft's drivers for your third-party hardware whenever possible. Use Everest to find out who makes your sound card and download the latest driver from them.

Collapse -
by dfm2005 / January 25, 2009 2:35 PM PST
In reply to: Update the drivers...

It said all drivers where up to date. If I check HP site they don't have windows 7 listed I am assuming since it is beta should I use the Vista drivers.

Collapse -
Windows 7: Sound playing out of speakers not headphones
by anderslh / January 25, 2009 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Drivers

The same thing occur on my NW8000. All HP/Compaq drivers are up-to-date, and I haven't been able to find a solution. If you do, please post it:-)

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2009 10:59 PM PST

The update mechanism will not always find the 'best' drivers, instead settling for the generic ones from Microsoft. (This is due to some manufacturers not supplying their drivers to Microsoft and some drivers not meeting Microsoft's standards.) I would download the latest Vista drivers from the audio chip's manufacturer (not HP and not Microsoft) and see if they resolve the problem.

Collapse -
Sound Driver
by kennybb / January 26, 2009 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Indeed...

I had the same problem with my HP. You need to find the High Definition Audio Driver.

Hope this Helps.

Collapse -
by dfm2005 / January 27, 2009 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sound Driver

I installed the drivers Conexant High-Definition SmartAudio 221 Driver for my laptop and I got this message during instal process driver installation failed could not find mdia device for this dirver.

Collapse -
by kennybb / January 27, 2009 10:17 AM PST

what is the model No. for your computer.

Collapse -
by dfm2005 / January 27, 2009 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: Driver

Collapse -
it works
by dfm2005 / January 28, 2009 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: model

I got sound to play out of the headphones. Had to change the default to the headphones.

Collapse -
don't forget to plug headphones in
by njcojones / January 29, 2009 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: it works

can't set headphones to default unless they are plugged in

thank you to all for this fix, it worked for me too

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.