Computer Help

Resolved Question

sound not working need help please

by kellyk2012 / August 16, 2012 9:16 AM PDT

I have a compaq Ms 6577 Ver3.1, i dont have any sound my sister have been playing around with the keyboard and have press some buttons until the sound just went away or it could be that we have comodo anti virus scan and that could take most of the drivers away as virus. this a theory has i have check in the sand box of the anti virus and see alot audio drivers there . I have check the audio drivers good, the driver name itself realtek 97 good.
Please can someone help me with this mother board and take me through the steps to get it working once again?

kellyk2012 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sound not working need help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sound not working need help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by kellyk2012

Collapse -
Checked For A "Mute" Button On The Keyboard
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 9:47 AM PDT

Unfortunately, you've not told us what you've already tried and since many keyboards have a mute button, simply pressing it again should allow the sound to work again. (Quote: my sister have been playing around with the keyboard and have press some buttons until the sound just went away)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sound not working need help
by kellyk2012 / October 10, 2012 9:47 PM PDT

i have a compaq 6577 ver3.1, no sound ok. the keyboard dont have any sound. so that is eliminated! i also tried external sound card, not working! i have also reformatting the system, not working! but one i must say is that i used comodo anti virus scan, and i check sandbox and found out that there it has alot my sound files, and it associated files. i tried to remove the anit virus to see if it works and it did not work......can anyone out there help with this problem please?

Collapse -
Here, We Would Start From The Beginning...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

First, since it appears like you're referring to a motherboard type and not the actual computer model, check to make sure the onboard sound chip isn't disabled in the BIOS. Basically, perform the steps in the link below but make sure it's "enabled" instead of "disabled".

http://www.ehow.com/how_7335033_disable-sound-compaq-ms_6577-motherboard.html

Next, check to make sure that the drivers are "enabled" in Device Manager.

Next, check to make sure the speakers are plugged into the correct jack on the back of the computer.. We might even try a different set of speakers to make sure it's not the speakers at fault.

Then, we would reformat and reinstall Windows using HP's recovery partition or recovery discs that you've prepared.. Reinstall all drivers in the correct order required.. (Remember, that many such Compaq computers require the BUS driver to be installed BEFORE the sound driver.) After doing so, and BEFORE installing any third party sandbox programs, test for sound.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
help with compaq
by kellyk2012 / November 4, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

1. can do a back of my files on the same hard drive that i am going to reformat?
2. can some recommend a site which will provide me with a compaq 6577 ver3.1 drivers?

Collapse -
Depends On What You Mean By "Hard Drive"..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: help with compaq

A hard drive MAY have multiple "partitions" on it, of which, only one may be the one being formatted. Usually that is the "C" drive where the operating system is going to go. The same hard drive may have other partitions as well. If a backup is placed on one of the other partitions, the backup would be fine, assuming the entire hard drive doesn't die.. (Of course, eventually, all hard drives will go south. It's just a question of when.) On the other hand, if there is only one partition on the hard DRIVE and you place a backup on the one and only partition, and you then format the drive/partition, then the backup will disappear, along with all other data on the partition.

As to the site where there are "Compaq 6577" drivers, Compaq.com is the one.. Of course, you'll need the specific model number of the computer, NOT the motherboard name, and you'll need to know the operating system being installed.. Unfortunately, you've not given us either one of those to help you out with. (Note that MS-6577 v3.1 comes up as a motherboard model by HP at THIS LINK.)

http://www.compaq.com/country/cpq_support.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.