Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

Sound not playing with VLC player

by Learning2005 / February 26, 2008 4:27 AM PST

I just installed the VLC player 0.8.6d because my nephew is sending me video files with an extension of .mp4 and I was not able to play those. Now that I installed the VLC player I can see the video but no sound comes through. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the sound to play on this VLC player 0.8.6d version?

My nephew is sending me files that he's recorded using Windows Mobile Live.

I am running Windows XP.

Thank you so much,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound not playing with VLC player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound not playing with VLC player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Some Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 5:46 AM PST

What does your nephew use to play the videos?

Have you tried installing Quicktime which plays mp4 files fine?

Are you sure there is supposed to be sound? (Does your nephew's computer/phone play sound on these movies?)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
VLC Player Not Playing Sound
by Learning2005 / February 26, 2008 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Just Some Thoughts..

My nephew is using Windows Mobile Live to record his video and it does play sound. When I downloaded the free version of the VLC Player it does not play the sound. I downloaded a MP4 converter for Windows and this does play the video and sound. Not sure why this one works and not the VLC player.

Is there a free version for the Quicktime? If so, what is the link for the Quicktime software?

Also, what do I need to do to tell the computer everytime I try to open a MP4 file extension to use this software?

Thanks so much,

Collapse -
Quicktime Free At Google
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 12:38 AM PST
Collapse -
yes
by kifko / November 6, 2009 10:51 PM PST

perfect

Collapse -
RE:
by jhavibha / August 11, 2008 10:36 PM PDT

Hi friends,

After a lot of research i found the answer that everyone in the group was looking for, for playing a file's including audio and video which you have downloaded from your mobile as .mp4 extension can be played through Quick time player. There is no need to go for Quick Time pro and converting your .mp4 to .mov extension. You just have to follow few simple steps in order to see and listen the movie clearly.

Steps to Follow:-
1. First you have to find your audio and video codec, in my case the video was mp4v and the audio was "samr".
The audio codec, which is samr is not supported by VLC. So, you have to convert the "samr" (i.e AMR) codec to another codec, which could be mp3, wav etc. You will find the converter for your operating system at the following location:-
http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm
it's free of cost. But before that the second step is -->
2. Rename the files from mp4 to 3gp.
3. Download the convertor from the website mentioned above.
4. Open the convertor--> select the input file as one of your video file and the output file as a new file.
5. Start the converter, it will take less than a second for the file to convert.
6. Run the file using Quick time and now you can hear the sound. You don't have to use the converter for each and every file. You just have to do the conversion once and the solution will work for the rest.

Hope it helps................

Thanks and Regards,
Vibha Jha.

Collapse -
samr
by Aba-k / October 28, 2010 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Cool. The Solution works. Thanks

Collapse -
VLC tell us about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 11:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Is the Audio setting selected?
by caktus / February 27, 2008 8:07 AM PST

Is the Audio setting selected? Go to Sttings > Preferences > highlight "Audio" and selecect "Audio" > click Save.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Get latest
by Willy / October 28, 2010 11:29 PM PDT

VLC 8.6 is not the latest player, there is a 9.2 version. That maybe able to better handle MP4 files. Under the 9.2 ver., there is convert abilities should it need it. I've no problems with VLC, so unless some property needs changing, play with it. Goto the VLC d/l website for the latest version.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
(NT) Willy, Check The Date On the Original Post
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2010 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Get latest
Collapse -
(NT) Too late...
by Willy / October 29, 2010 9:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.