Desktops forum

Sound not loud enough

by Jijenji / April 25, 2012 1:05 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an HP-1270t with Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit] OS.

I have some very old speakers that I hooked up from my last computer, though I do plan to buy some new speakers ASAP. In the meantime, the sound coming from the computer is really, really lacking. I've even seen on the internet where people have good speakers and still feel like the Windows 7 sound is not enough.

Can I download any kind of codecs or anything off the internet to make the sound much louder? I enjoy loud music and videos at times, so this is pretty important to me.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound not loud enough
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound not loud enough
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by pgc3 / April 27, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound not loud enough

You didn't say much about the older speakers that you are using or how you are hooking them up. Are they powered? (A/C) or USB input only. If you want better and/or more sound then depending on the system you would typically use powered (A/C) speakers as opposed to USB (System driven) units. Many also upgrade to an aftermarket sound card or use SPDIF hook ups if available.

Collapse -
They are Polk "E" audio speakers
by Jijenji / April 27, 2012 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

I bought them with my HP computer 10 years ago. They worked fine on my old computer, right up until it died recently. Sound was loud, I think I had even downloaded some enhancement codecs at one point on that machine. But I plugged these speakers into the out jack on the new computer I just bought, and the sound, even on max, was completely unacceptable. "loudness equalization", change from night mode to theatre mode, play with the wave bars, nothing worked.

So finally someone on another forum recommended the independently powered speaker thing also. He said that computers used to be wired to supply the speakers with power, so that's why these old speakers could just plug into the jack on my old machine and work fine. But he said newer computers don't supply any power for sound, therefore you have to buy independent powered speakers.

Does that sound about right?

Collapse -
Powered speakers
by pgc3 / April 27, 2012 11:33 PM PDT

The answer would be YES you need powered speakers.

Collapse -
I suggest
by Angelca24 / April 27, 2012 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound not loud enough

okay now just to be specific can you tell me what speakers you are dealing with, and are we certain the normal volume level is at high?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.