Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

sound is not working after reformat/reinstall of windows xp

by txkb428 / September 1, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

Hello all! I am really hoping that one or a few of you can help me with my issue. Back in June, I reinstalled Windows XP Professional on my computer. Previously, the PC kept freezing, saying Windows Explorer error, etc. Unable to do any work at all on my computer without it freezing, I reinstalled Windows. Problems solved.

Except now, since then, I have had no sound at all coming from my speakers! I am missing the audio drivers, I think. Finally, yesterday, I downloaded Realtec AC 97... and now I can hear things opened on Quicktime from the internet, but cannot hear any sounds from websites or other programs I have on my computer. The little speaker control, that is usually displayed permanently in the right hand corner of the Windows toolbar, doesn't show up. I still have Volume Control on my computer...but of course cannot hear anything..

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I've tried unplugging the speakers and then plugging them back in... to no avail. I don't think I have the installation CD for the speakers anymore, as I got them a few years ago. But if I did have them, is that how the drivers would be reinstalled?

Thanks so much... please let me know if you need any clarification on any of the points mentioned in my question

Kara

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sound is not working after reformat/reinstall of windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sound is not working after reformat/reinstall of windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
just to add
by txkb428 / September 1, 2009 3:29 AM PDT

I do have sndvol32.exe installed, the volume control... but, it does not work. None of it is greyed out/inaccessible... the sliders move, but it doesnt give me sound ...

Collapse -
could be the driver
by enos7 / September 1, 2009 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: just to add

Do you know how to get to the Device Manager? Right click on my computer and select properties. Go to the hardware tab and select Device Manager. That will bring up a list of everything installed on your PC. Go down the list until you see the sound, video, and game controlers [+] sign. Do you see any yellow exclamation points? If you do then that means the driver is not properly installed. If that is the problem I would uninstall the driver that you used and go the the PC manufacturer's website and make sure that you got the most current driver. And I'm assuming you don't have any other sound card installed like sound blaster or else you'll have to go to their website. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Re: sound is not working after reformat/reinstall of windows
by Tufenuf / September 1, 2009 1:55 PM PDT

Kara, Open Internet Explorer>Tools>internet Options>Advanced tab and under multimedia make sure that "Play sounds on web pages" is checkmarked, click Apply/OK. For the missing speaker icon aside of the clock go into Control Panel and open Sounds & Audio Devices and under the General tab checkmark "Place volume icon in taskbar", click Apply/OK. If it's checkmarked uncheck it, click Apply/OK then go back and checkmark it, click Apply/OK. Now go to the link below and click the "?" to the left of "Where did my Sounds go?" to expand it and you'll find several possible fixes.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
thanks!
by txkb428 / September 2, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

Thank you.... yesterday a little while after I posted that first help message, I figured out how to get the sound. Happy But thank you so much for telling me how to put the sndvol32.exe icon in the taskbar--- that was a huge help!!

Collapse -
How did you do it?
by Friedbrownball / September 22, 2009 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

I just reformatted XP and have the exact same problem. How did you fix it?

Collapse -
They fixed it
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you do it?

By using the answer in post 4 above. Try that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.