Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sound Card Gone?

by charlie-foxtrot / September 4, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

Windows XP is no longer recognizing my sound cards. I have three sound cards installed in a PC that is being used to record multiple audio inputs and stream them online. The system was working fine, until an unscheduled reboot. Now, after rebooting, nothing recognizes the sound cards.

I've tried rolling back the drivers, as well as updating them to the most recent version. While the sound cards still show up in the devices list, I can't seem to get any of them to work with Windows. They simply aren't recognized in the audio preferences.

At once point, they showed up in the volume control screen, but the option for "Recording" was grayed out. Now, they don't show up there at all. Here's a current screenshot.

Is there anything else that I can do? Is there a software that might work better than the integrated windows volume control software?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Card Gone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Card Gone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound Card Gone?

Wipe the drives and do exactly what you did before to get it to work.

Remember that Windows has been twitchy for years about multiple sound card support. You are in "the unsupported land" so I don't expect MSFT to tell you what to do to fix a dinged or damaged OS.

Once you recover and have it working it is time to back it up so you don't have to start over again. Here's some FREE TITLES that you could use to save your deeply customized OS and setup -> http://lifehacker.com/5303067/five-best-free-system-restore-tools

Sorry to hear about your loss,
Bob

Collapse -
Say, why is RDP there?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

"Remote Desktop" would create no end of trouble here.

Collapse -
"unscheduled reboot"
by Kees Bakker / September 4, 2009 1:50 AM PDT

Meaning:
a) the system manager (you?) had nothing to do and decided to do a extra manual reboot (there is a scheduled automatic one each sunday morning at 4:00 PM) Thursday at 1:45 AM, just to see what would happen (seems to remind me of Chernobyl, seeing what happened)
b) the system (Windows) had a fatal error, so rebooted (that's the default behaviour after a BSOD)

a or b?

In case of b, what does the event log say about the cause? It could be the missing clue.

Kees

Collapse -
Sound Card Gone?
by alias Winston Smith / September 5, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

Before getting too drastic it would probably be a good idea to remove the all the sound cards from Motherboard, reboot and remove drivers/codecs from Device Manager.
Turn off, re-fit cards and let Windows auto detect 'new' configuration (if you have different manufacturer's cards put them into different slots)
You have less to loose except some time.
You should also look in bios to make sure spontaneous re-boot didn't 'damage' something there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.