Samsung forum

General discussion

Sound but no picture: HT-BD1200 to Vizio LCD via HDMI

by dannyski / December 7, 2009 10:34 AM PST

With all new equipment, and only the subject components connected, I get sound but no picture. Of course I'd get sound... no TV involved - HT has the BD internalized. Repeated calls to Samsung Support was futile. They have a boiler plate troubleshooting template, and that is all they can do, and do again, and again. I was able to get a little farther with a Vizio tech person, who suggested using the AV connection, to check the HT-BD1200 set up. That worked and even after disabling AnyNet, I still get sound but no picture through the HDMI. I tried all 4 HDMI inputs on the Vizio. The cable is 1080P v1.3. When first booted, I get an attempt at an image, then "Retrieving data..", then a blank screen. It is like there is a compatibility issue between the two units. I am thinking of trying a new cable [another new one, but different brand]. What else can I try?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound but no picture: HT-BD1200 to Vizio LCD via HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound but no picture: HT-BD1200 to Vizio LCD via HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sound but no picture: HT-BD1200 to Vizio LCD via HDMI
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2009 9:01 AM PST

dannyski,

Try connecting it with the composite cable in the AV input. It could be that the resolution or output signal from the HT-BD1200 is set to 480. Changing that resolution, and then connecting the HDMI input may help resolve this issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem here
by dpliler / December 22, 2009 3:45 AM PST

I am having the same problem here. I even convinced Visio the the TV was broken. The just delivered a new one. HDMI= sound and no picture. I went to AV and then the samsung menu setup. The resolution is set to 1080p. There is still no picture from HDMI. AV works and Component vidieo works.

What next. Bye the way both systems are brand new.

Collapse -
Same Problem here
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 22, 2009 3:04 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem here

dpliler,

Well, I'm not quite sure where the problem might be. The systems work pretty well with most manufacturers, and I'm not sure why it's not working with this particular one. It could be that the HDCP is incompatible, or they just don't work well together. It's a rare occurrence, since both companies (I'm sure!) follow standards.

Do you mind if I ask each of you which model of TV you own?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem here
by dpliler / December 22, 2009 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem here

The TV is Visio's XVT 47" 240Hz tv. not sure what the exact model number is, but one of the new ones. I actually exchanged the Samsung for a Panasonic SC-BT300 or 303 depending on where you buy it. It works perfectly.
Samsung must have a compatibility problem. But thanks, All is well with the Paniconic. It was also easey to set up the the Samsung.

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by stammerone / January 10, 2010 4:15 AM PST

Purchased both the HT-BD1200 system and a Vizio VF551XVT 55' LED LCD panel from Sams
Club at the end of October.

1. When we first connected the system (using HDMI cable) and played a Blu-Ray disk (Transformers
2), we saw alot of picture blanking, and when able to actually see a picture, saw so much stuttering
and pixellation, we turned off the system and ran a component cable instead (so now down to 1080i). That seemed to solve most of the picture blanking issues, but dealt with the occasional pixellation (about a 2' horizontal band of blocky pixels which appeared for a couple seconds then cleared). Then the player stopped working altogether.

2. We then exchanged the player with another one at Sams Club. We did not seem to get the
pixellation we got before, but the picture blanked out more often. We tried using a Blu-Ray
disk using both HDMI and component cable hook ups and a standard definition DVD with both cables
with the same results.

3. Samsung has responded with suggesting we update the firmware- but when we did, the unit claimed the current (in-unit) firmware was the latest available. And so we have put in for a service request online, will ship out the unit for review, and hope to have this resolved.

NOTE:
The cable box, set to HD channels has been connected to the Vizio using both HDMI and Component
connections tuned to channels broadcasting from 480i through 1080p without ANY problems and the cables are of the highest quality, insulated/shielded, gold-plated cabling- so they are not the
issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love the capability of this system, but feel cheated- I want it to work as advertised- nothing more- CERTAINLY nothing less- and be able to provide a full 1920 x 1080 progressive video signal that stays on without blanking (and the iPod/iPhone dock does not function as advertised (for either music or video)- another reason why we chose this unit that is not functioning. I hope Samsung can solve the issues and restore my faith in the product.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.