Samsung forum

General discussion

Sound but no picture

by rahenry6 / January 2, 2009 4:32 AM PST

I have an LN-S4041D. After a particularly cold night (TV is near outer wall of home, yet temp in room probably not below 60 degrees overnight) it occasionally will have sound yet no picture. Typically occurs in the morning or when first turned on. After awhile it will stay on, picture is great. I left it on for a couple of days straight, no problems till another cold night and when I got up, the picture again was off, yet sound OK. Once again, after waiting awhile and trying repeatedly, it will stay on. Don't know if the cold night has anything to do with it, yet loose connection worsened by cold temp comes to mind. Or, could this be inverter board, or lcd controller or what?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound but no picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound but no picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2009 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Sound but no picture

I'm not sure why this would happen, and I'm not sure the temperature (unless the wall itself is really really cold!) would make a substantial difference.

But if it's not able to get a picture, I would definitely suggest a service call to get the unit inspected and repaired.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by jtstephe / January 12, 2009 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: Service...

I have had this same problem with two consecutive LN-46A550's.

I purchased the first in late November from Newegg. It worked fine at first. After about a week or so, it would have no picture, but sound. This problem seemed to happen after the TV had been off for an extended time. If I turned the TV off and back on, the picture would come on. It did not happen every time, but it happened maybe 10 or so times in a 30 day period so I returned it to Newegg for a refund (Newegg did not have a replacement in stock).

I purchased the second at end of December from Best Buy. It worked fine until yesterday when I encountered the same problem. I was hoping maybe I wouldn't have the problem again, but this morning it happened again.

One thing that I noticed was that the problem never occurred until we removed the stand from the TV. For different reasons, we were not able to mount either set for about a week so the removal of the stand coincides with the problem, but it might just be a coincidence.

I'm probably going to end up returning this set as well unless there is fix.

Collapse -
Not the cold
by rahenry6 / January 12, 2009 7:57 AM PST

I wish mine were still under warranty. It originally occurred during a cold snap, yet it has happened with warm days as well. I'll probably get it looked at and see how much to repair. Problem is it's intermittent so if it comes on fine when the technician comes, can they isolate the problem? I appreciate the above, as I'm considering a larger tv and really would like a reliable model.

Collapse -
Samsung LN-T4665F - no picture
by sandee20 / August 29, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound but no picture

My Samsung 46-inch LCD TV stopped working barely 18 months after purchase. It has sound but NO picture. Samsung customer service says they cannot do anything since it is out of the warranty period. Technician's (Samsung authorized) estimate for repair is almost same as the cost of a new set.

I have seen several posts on the Internet for a similar problem, indicating that it is not a random problem. It is surprising that a brand name company like Samsung is not doing anything to address the issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.