Samsung forum

General discussion

Sound Bar - What to do with the TV Volume?

by spandya21 / December 29, 2009 5:28 AM PST

I recently purchased an HT-WS1G Sound Bar to use with my Samsung TV. With the autolink feature, it seems that when I use my Directtv remote to increase and decrease volume, it will adjust the volume simultaneously for both the TV and Sound Bar. Is this the ideal method of use, or should I always keep the TV volume at a minimum and use the Sound Bar remote to adjust the volume? Basically, I am looking for the ideal proportion of TV volume and Sound Bar volume.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Bar - What to do with the TV Volume?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Bar - What to do with the TV Volume?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 29, 2009 8:25 AM PST

spandya21,

The design of the unit was to be able to replace the television speakers with the soundbar, rather than work in unison. So my official recommendation would be to turn off the speakers by choosing "External" in the audio setup menu, and just allow the sound to go through the bar.

That said, if there's not a delay, and you'd rather just use both, it won't harm the unit. But then switching the audio would have to be manual. There's no way to calibrate and synchronize the two volume options.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Turning the TV speakers off
by spandya21 / December 29, 2009 9:34 AM PST

Yes, it helps to know whether or not I am supposed to be using the TV volume. However, can you give me more info on how to turn off the TV speakers? I have a Samsung flat screen plasma, and in the menu, I don't see any options to switch to external. If I hit the menu button on the Sound Bar remote, it pulls up the same TV menu. The menu has options for Input, Picture, and Sound. Input does not show the Sound Bar and Sound does not have any options for external speakers. I am connecting the sounf bar to my TV using the optical cable.

Collapse -
Turning the TV speakers off
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 1, 2010 3:15 PM PST

spandya21,

I forgot to ask what model of TV you have. I'll see if I can look in the manual and assist.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by spandya21 / January 1, 2010 10:51 PM PST

It is a Samsung HPS4253X/XAA. Thanks!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 8:33 AM PST

spandya21,

I may have to send this up to one of our experts. Let me make sure I have this correctly:

There's no internal mute in the setup menu of the television.
The DirecTV remote controls both the volume of the TV and the soundbar.

Correct?

It may be that the older television and the newer soundbar has the same discrete code (code used for functions, like volume, that are programmed into the remote), so using the remote will cause both to jump.

In the meantime, I might suggest using just the soundbar's remote to control the volume, but I'll see what I can find. Would you please confirm that I'm understanding you correctly?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by spandya21 / January 2, 2010 1:13 PM PST

Yes, that is correct. The Directtv remote controls both volumes simultaneously and I am not able to turn off the TV speakers through the menu. Thanks,

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2010 1:46 PM PST

spandya21,

Okay. I've sent that up, and as soon as I receive a response, I'll post it here. It may end up being that you have to adjust the volume for the soundbar with the soundbar's remote. But I'll see if someone can help with a better solution.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by tinslinger / February 3, 2010 5:22 PM PST

I am running into similar control difficulty with a Samsung PN58B560T5F tv and Samsung HT-WS1 soundbar. I can only get two configurations, neither of which is satisfactory. Either "external speaker" is set, and a large warning banner ( ! Not Available) obscures the picture whenever the volume is changed; or "internal speaker" selected, and both tv and soundbar volume move in unison causing an echo chamber effect.

I need to disable the tv speakers while using one remote to control all functions including soundbar volume. I do not want to have to use both remotes constantly. How can this be accomplished?

Collapse -
Same issue here with the
by sloanish / June 11, 2010 4:13 AM PDT

I have
Comcast service with DVR in Mass.
Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV
Samsung HW-C450 2-1/2" Soundbar with Powered Wireless Subwoofer
Probably need a Comcast code for the soundbar

"I can only get two configurations, neither of which is satisfactory. Either "external speaker" is set, and a large warning banner ( ! Not Available) obscures the picture whenever the volume is changed; or "internal speaker" selected, and both tv and soundbar volume move in unison causing an echo chamber effect.

I need to disable the tv speakers while using one remote to control all functions including soundbar volume. I do not want to have to use both remotes constantly. How can this be accomplished?"

Collapse -
Not Available Message
by herman875 / November 26, 2010 3:24 AM PST

I just bought this TV two days ago and am having the same issue. Did you find a solution that you can share?

Collapse -
same. samsung tv and bar
by chuck3421 / January 14, 2011 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Not Available Message

i am also having the problem. my directv remote syncs up perfectly where i can control the sound bar volume with it. the problem is when i adjust the volume, the "not available" warning comes on the screen bc the external speaker feature is in use. how do i get rid of the "not available" message?

Collapse -
Annoying "Not Available"
by Skip-in-Mass / February 19, 2011 9:21 AM PST

I am having the same issue as chuck3421 and I'm not happy about seeing the "not available" message every time I use my comcast remote to change the TV volume. The good news is that the comcast remote does work on the sound bar as far as the volume adjustments.
I can't imagine that a huge corporation like Samsung wouldn't have an answer to this.

Collapse -
(NT) how did you get directv remote to work with soundbar?
by pkamerman / December 15, 2012 4:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Getting rid of the "Not Available" alert
by hatterasman / June 17, 2011 11:05 AM PDT

For those of us with Comcast, I found out you can program the remote to use the volume feature of the digital cable box itself. You set the TV to external speakers and use the volume through the box. It gets rid of that annoying alert. (by the way, Comcast didn't even know this!)Best of luck!

Collapse -
Comcast alert fix
by hatterasman / June 17, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

I found out you can configure the Comcast remote to control the volume through the digital box itself. Set the TV for external speaker, then program the remote to use the control feature of the Comcast digital box. This allows the audio bar to be used and gets rid of the alert on the screen. See this for more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5515638_program-volume-comcast-hddvr-box.html Best of luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.