Computer Help forum

General discussion

sony vgn-fs415b will not boot past VAIO screen.

by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:14 AM PST

Hi all,
friends laptop sony vgn-fs415b XP will boot to VAIO screen, then blinking cusor top left then blank screen. Can't boot into safe mode or any other mode, no restore discs availiable.

I have tried bootable cds to no effect, I think the hard drive is shot. Only other info is, son uses music torrents.
Anybody confirm this?

Thanks,
Dafydd, Wales U.K.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sony vgn-fs415b will not boot past VAIO screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sony vgn-fs415b will not boot past VAIO screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since no bootable CDs work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:17 AM PST

I'd focus on that while you consider ordering the restore media.

I applaud the idea of bootable CDs but the story is light. I can't tell if you tested the CDs on your machine or if the BIOS is set to boot from that and if there were some USB thing left plugged in.

Yes, torrent users are the first I see get whacked out machines. I think it's OK since they get burned and hopefully learn why the moderators don't like such things.
Bob

Collapse -
sony vgn-fs415b wont boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:31 AM PST

Thank you Mr Proffit,
May I call you Bob after this? I didn't test the discs on my machine Packard Bell iextreme Windows 7 Home Premium for fear of disaster. there were no usb things plugged in.
How can I test the hard drive, I don't have a spare. Bios is set to boot from optical drive which I can't change.
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
For testing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:34 AM PST

If I was unsure I could power down and unplug my hard disk's SATA cable and then test with impunity.

As to testing the HDD, I use bootable test CDs. I think the http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd has HDD tests on it.

Bob

Collapse -
sony vgn-fs415b wo'nt boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: For testing.

Thank you Mr Proffit.
I will try tomorrow as it's getting late here.
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sony VAIO wont boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 2:48 AM PST

I give up. I've tried various bootable discs, and no joy. I'm putting it down to a failed hard drive.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Let's say it is a failed HDD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sony VAIO wont boot.

If you think that's stopping a CD boot, let me share that I have for years removed failed HDDs and been able to boot up an Ubuntu CD to let some use the machine while we wait for a new HDD.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony wont boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 4:17 AM PST

Hi Bob,
I'm no expert could you tell me how to make/download said Ubuntu?
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
If I google UBUNTU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Sony wont boot.
Collapse -
Sony wont boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: If I google UBUNTU

I knew that was coming, LOL.
Thanks for the link Bob, will try that.
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sony wo'nt boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sony wont boot.

Tried Ubuntu discs and usb stick, still no joy. I'm giving up on this as I'm only trying to do a favour. Given the age of the machine, I would say time to get a new one.
Many thanks Bob.
Regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sony wo'nt boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Sony wo'nt boot.

Addendum.
BIOS only gives me boot options of
Optical
HDD
Network.

Collapse -
Real stumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:22 AM PST

It's rare to see this not work.

But I think the test of the media is not optional here. That is, I think I read earlier that you have no tests that said CDs do boot on other machines.

Why this is important is that I've found most folk put the ISO file on a CD then wonder why it doesn't work. Yes, we have plenty of tutorials and "show me how" links but this continues to happen.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony won't boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:36 AM PST

I've checked ram seating, hard drive seating, tried every which but loose, bios settings, no joy!
Gonna give it up now Bob, thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,
Dafydd, Wales U.K.

Collapse -
Just so others know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:44 AM PST

Do these CDs and sticks boot on other machines?

Collapse -
Sony won't boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 1:19 AM PST

Sorry about the delay Bob, it's rugby season in the U.K. at the moment. I have not tried said discs on my Windows 7 machine because I see no point.

I downloaded Ubuntu from the link you gave me which
gave me an option to open with Roxio Creator which I have on my computer. I burned the ISO file to disc and tried it on the laptop.

The result was, instead of the cursor blinking 3 times, it went on for over a minute. Have I made a mistake in the burning of this file?
Regards,
Dafydd.
P.S Wales beat Scotland.

Collapse -
Burning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sony won't boot.

Burning the file to a disc should not result in a bootable CD.

Let's find Ubuntu's page on this -> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

See the "show me how" links on how to create a CD from the ISO. This differs from placing the .iso on the CD.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony won't boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Burning.

Thank you for the link Bob, I realise now that I might have made a mistake burning this cd. I will research it and get back to you.
All the best,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sony Wont Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Sony won't boot.

Hi Bob,
thanks for your help and the link, I've now got Ubuntu running on the laptop.
Can't decide wether Windows is corrupt or HD is dead.
regards,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
May I intrude?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Wont Boot.

I'm sure Bob will reply himself, but until he does.

What that Ubuntu Live CD allows is for the user, you, to see if it can find and explore the hard disk on the laptop. It has it's own file manager, (what windows users call Windows Explorer), and it has a knack of being able to read file names of files even though Windows is a foreign Operating System to it.

Finding the file manager in a Linux distro is a bit daunting and I can't give advice how to find it as I have only used Ubuntu a couple of times myself, but once you have found the file manager, it should be reasonably easy to navigate to the laptop's hard drive and see what files are there.

If Ubuntu can do that, then you have the option of 'copying' those files to some external source, eg a memory stick, or USB hard drive, etc.

If Ubuntu's file manager cannot find the hard drives, then it seems to me there could be two reasons.

1] The obvious, the hard drive is shot, or

2] A possibility, Ubuntu does not recognise hard disks set up in RAID. I thought Ubuntu did recognise RAID setups, but I am not 100%. Also I cannot recall ever seeing a laptop that uses Raid.

RAID is: 2 or more hard disks working together as one; eg RAID 0, 2 hdds where the data is read to each disk in turn, so each disk only has part of thedata, both both act as one disk. Another eg, RAID 1, 2 hdds where data is duplicated across both disks. This is like an instant backup where if one disk fails, the other takes over.

I would guess that if Ubuntu is loaded but its file manager does not find the hdd, then that means the hard drive has failed.

Hope that helps, and I hope I've got that accurate.

Good luck to Wales a week on Saturday. Er, I'm an England supporter myself though. Sorry, Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you Mark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Wont Boot.
Collapse -
Sony won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Mark.

Thank You both, I'm learning a lot here.
Mark,I reckon Italy will beat Wales on current form.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sony won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sony won't Boot.

Quick question, two drives show up one mounted the other unmounted.
Is this proper?
thanks,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Could be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 3:16 AM PST

But why not open them and explore?

Sorry but once in a while folk want to know the future. I can't know that but do suggest you try looking around to see if your files are there.

If the laptop HDD partitions won't mount there can be very good reasons and there are ways to get around that. I didn't discuss that because we didn't get the message this is an issue yet and it would cause many to write "forget it, it's too technical."
Bob

Collapse -
Being a Sony, that unmounted partition ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2011 5:27 AM PST

is likely the recovery/restore partition so if you can locate your data on the mounted partition I wouldn't mess with the unmounted one as doing so could mess up your ability to restore to factory condition.

If you can locate your files yoiu can save them to other media such as an external USB drive or write them to CD/DVD.

If you can do that Ubuntu has also shown you that the drive is not "dead" and you can likely restore the PC to factory condition.

Collapse -
Sony Won.t Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 5:46 AM PST

Thank you Edward,
I have just reached the same conclusion. Both drives are mountable and data can be salvaged. However, the restore partition is a little confusing to me as mounting it brings up a load of folders and I don't understand how to get it running.
Thanks,
Dafydd, Wales U.K.

Collapse -
Let me answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Won.t Boot.

The Ubuntu CD is so you can SALVAGE YOUR FILES. At no point did I mean we would use this to fix the failed OS.

--> Notice that it took 19 posts just to get a bootable CD. 6 more to discuss that we should be looking for our files.

We have yet to begin any discussion about repairing XP.

Once you have your files safe then you can try the maker's instructions to reload the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Let me answer that.

Whist getting back files, I came across some unsavoury images and have dropped it like a hot potato.
Thanks to all,
Dafydd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.