Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony Vaio won't power on, won't charge with adapter...

by gramjag / September 8, 2010 4:28 AM PDT

This is a quick info dig for assistance. I'm not exactly sure on the model # on this Sony Laptop, but my boyfriend has had it for a few years now.

What I DO know about it and what I THINK may be a cause to it's demise is this:

He leaves in all his USB peripherals in (and there are at least 3 to 4)upon shutting down or letting the laptop go into hibernate mode.

Applications are slower than snails to open and function and can be frustrating over time. We have run the disk clean-up and disk-frag a few times to clean this up. However, it will run a little faster after a week, but from then on it's back to the slow grind.

I have told him that he needs to properly shut it down and by doing so properly disconnect his USB applications (iPod charger, Garmin, etc..)he never does.

One afternoon the laptop did not want to turn on. No power, no charging light indicator, nothing. We tried to remove the battery and power up the laptop on the adapter alone - no success. The adapter light indicates its working, it's just not charging the laptop. We can not bring the laptop to life at all.
Any helpful suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio won't power on, won't charge with adapter...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio won't power on, won't charge with adapter...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's how I use my laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2010 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Checkout
by Willy / September 9, 2010 12:43 AM PDT

Laptops are NOT charging stations just because you can also means you may have issues later. Just having the laptop work alone can be an issue as you review posts here. The heat issue is the enemy of laptops and it may expired on that issue. The power section is done in or the USB side is dragging it down. Laptops are unique to fix and it could be anything, but heat tends to put a demise factor in sooner than later. I did post a Sony recall(find it here in forum), review and follow-up on it may refer to your issue. The AC adapter is part of the recall. HINT!

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.