Computer Help forum

Sony Vaio VPCS111FM Beep Error?

by rbuhre / March 29, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

Hi All -

My boss has a Sony Vaio VPCS111FM laptop we bought from Best Buy last year. It is a Intel i7 processor, Windows 7 with at least 4 GB ram.

Lately when he clicks on anything (file, program, windows explorer, etc) the laptop emits a single "beep" for each click. Each beep lasts no longer than 1 second.
I've tried to search Sony's support & ended up updating his BIOS to the latest version. This seemed to solve the "beep" noise, but now it is back. In speaking with Sony support, all they will suggest is to bring it in for service which will be $129 minimum. They seem to think it is a hardware error, but cannot be certain.

Has anybody else had this happen with your Sony Vaio?
Does anybody have a solution?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio VPCS111FM Beep Error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio VPCS111FM Beep Error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 10:01 PM PDT

and I am not sure what is happening here.

When a computer beeps on power up the beeps come from the motherboard's onboard speaker and the beep codes have certain meanings. Not always good news as shown here;

But when there is a beep when the OS is actually working on a mouse click when the user clicks anything, that has nothing to do with beep codes on power up. So I don't understand why Sony would have directed you to the BIOS.

Do these beeps come from the laptop's speakers? Note, the motherboard speaker is a very small speaker and gives only faint beeps, whereas the laptop's own speakers, if it has them, gives proper sounds for multimedia, etc.

Have you checked the current Sound theme being used? Control Panel > Sound, then the "Sound" tab, to see if any Windows sound is associated with mouse clicks or application opening?

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Beep Error
by abmum / October 29, 2012 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Strange

I have exactly the same problem as mentioned by Robert. I have the same model of laptop except that its an i5. This was also purchased from Best Buy.

I've checked that the sound is indeed from the laptop's speaker and not the motherboard speaker (by muting the laptop). The sound is not associated with mouse clicks.

I have the Windows Default profile enabled. But, in the Control Panel / Sounds / Sounds tab, the same sound is associated with in the I don't think Windows sound is associated with various errors, etc. but since the same sound is associated with all, don't know which one is the problem. After the first few times, the length of the beep increases.

My IT guy tells me it is an hardware error but cannot tell me which hardware!!! Can anyone help plz...

Collapse -
Laptops only have a few parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio Beep Error

Let's see. Screen, motherboard, HDD and memory sticks. But the issue sounds more like software.

I may have missed where you reset it back to a factory condition but why not as it beats the alternatives.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.