Laptops forum

General discussion

SONY VAIO VGN FZ25GN laptop graphics card upgrade

by alnhk / February 6, 2010 5:21 PM PST

I am using Sony Vaio laptop, model name is "VGN-FZ25GN", it is powered with Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHZ [T7250], 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT, running MS Windows Vista Business ed. I am much interested to have MS Windows 7 Pro on my laptop, before proceeding this, I ran MS Windows 7 Upgrade advisor tool. Result shows that all hardware are compatible except this graphics card - Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT.

Kindly let us know whether I can upgrade graphics card to latest so that I can happily have Ms Windows 7 pro on my laptop.

Please reply and let me know.
Hari Krishna ALN

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SONY VAIO VGN FZ25GN laptop graphics card upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SONY VAIO VGN FZ25GN laptop graphics card upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The card is on the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 9:26 PM PST

I looked and didn't see a card but the GeForce 8400M GT with shared video memory which is on the motherboard. To change this means you change the laptop.

Did you try Nvidia's laptop driver tool?

Collapse -
Did you try Nvidia's laptop driver tool?
by alnhk / February 6, 2010 11:28 PM PST

I checked the Nvidia geforce portal, I do see latest version of driver for Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT, when I install it, the installation tool says tht it's not able to detect the graphics card. I believe that the installation tool will be only acceptable by drivers that were released by Sony.

Please advise alternatives.
hari Krishna A

Collapse -
A few ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 11:50 PM PST
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: A few ideas.

I meant that after you update chipset drivers, reboot, try the Nvidia tool again.

Collapse -
this has the Intel Mobile 945GM chipset.
by alnhk / February 7, 2010 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Typo.

Hello Bob,
Thanks for workaround. But I notice that Sony vaio laptop Mother board is INTEL 965GM not 945GM. So do you suggest me to install to install the driver for this INTEL 965GM? please provide the URL and info to this driver.

Collapse -
For the chipset
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 12:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Lost one word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: For the chipset

it is for the Series...

Collapse -
trick didnt work...
by alnhk / February 7, 2010 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Lost one word.

Hey Bob,

As told by you, i have to install those two INTEL drivers....i did it...but cannot update the nvidia drivers, Nvidia installation tool shows " Cannot detect the grahics card.."

Anyway..i am gonna to cough out nearly 390$ for new and latest graphcs card. Nvidia portal detected that the mother board didnt have nvidia geforce 8400M GT onboard.

Collapse -
Next up. The hacked INF.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 2:45 AM PST

Links about it at"windows+7"

Read a few and you find out more about how others edit the .INF file to let the drivers install.

Since I can't endorse such but WOULD DO THAT I have to let you decide and will part with a favorite Cnet Moderator's line. Ready?

"We only lose what we didn't backup."

Tell us what you decide.

PS. What card are you asking about? This is a laptop and I didn't find a card for this model.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.