Sony forum

General discussion

Sony Vaio TX - Possible to upgrade HD to SSD?

by LetterQ / October 29, 2009 4:18 PM PDT

I would love to upgrade the HD in my Sony Vaio VGN-TXN19P to an SSD, but I'm not sure a compatible one exists. I found some 1.8" models on Newegg.com, but I'm confused about whether or not the connectors are the same. Has anyone done this upgrade on a Vaio TX? Any advice on a compatible SSD? Here's some info I dug up on the HD currently in the system:

Make/Model: Toshiba MK6008GAH
Size: 1.8" x 8.0mm
Specs: 60GB, 2MB Buffer, 4200RPM
Interface: ATA-6 (ATA-100), UDMA/100
Power: 3.3V, 500mA
Performance: 7.14ms latency, 15ms seek

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio TX - Possible to upgrade HD to SSD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio TX - Possible to upgrade HD to SSD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any Luck?
by tony_wh / January 9, 2010 5:44 AM PST

I would also like to put an SSD in my TX2. Were you successful?

Collapse -
Successfully Upgraded to SSD
by tony_wh / January 18, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Any Luck?

I have successfully managed to get a SSD into my VAIO.

The Toshiba MK8007GAH is an IDE 44 pin drive and its getting pretty old. I only found one manufacturer - Kingspec who make a suitable replacement but they were really helpful and the drive went in smoothly.

I'm installing Windows 7 now and it's all working.

Collapse -
More info please.
by LetterQ / January 18, 2010 8:49 AM PST

What model Kingspec drive, what is the capacity, how much did it cost, and where you you buy it from? Sorry for all the questions, but I've been wanting to do this for a while and your post is the first one I've seen from someone who has already successfully done it. Thanks very much.

Collapse -
SSD for TX2HP
by tony_wh / January 19, 2010 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: More info please.

I went for the 64Gb model - KSD-CF18.1-064MJ

I have no need for large capacity as I don't do movies etc.

Interestingly, the disk access is so quick that ReadyBoost is now disabled! Boot time is a little shorter, installing new software is quicker but the loading time for acrobat reader and office is phenomenal for a laptop that is 5 years old!

This helped too: http://www.coderetard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/vgntx.pdf

Good Luck

Collapse -
CORRECTION
by tony_wh / January 19, 2010 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: SSD for TX2HP

CORRECTION

Toshiba MK8007GAH is 50 pin IDE - sorry

Collapse -
CORRECTION BELOW
by tony_wh / January 19, 2010 5:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Getting SSD to work
by CompSony / April 26, 2010 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: CORRECTION BELOW

I installed the KingSpec and the Bios sees the drive but i cant get the Sony recovery disk to start. (It is not corrupted i checked on another computer)
How did you format your SSD and set it up to install windows?

Collapse -
Getting SSD to work
by tony_wh / December 10, 2010 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Getting SSD to work

Sorry for the delay - I don't follow this site.

In answer to your question, I had to do a clean install.

The Sony VAIO recovery disks let me down a long way back! XP was originally installed but it crashed and I could get the recovery disks to work (interestingly I think it was the fact that they were recorded on DVD media (as Sony recommended) and the BIOS only allows CD boot from the optical drive).

With a clean windows 7 install, I used the sony support site to get the AV mode and volume buttons to work.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Formatting SSD and Install Windows
by tony_wh / December 10, 2010 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Getting SSD to work

Oh yes, I forgot to say...

Installing Win7 was a real pain!

Because my optical drive only acts as a CD rom on boot, I had to get a late version of MS-DOS, format the drive, install an old version of XP and then upgrade to Win7. IT only took me about 14 hour non-stop to figure it out!

I wish you luck!

Collapse -
Still can't get the PC to boot with the new Kingspec
by gmdgarcia / January 20, 2011 1:27 AM PST

Thank you for this information. I would have destroyed my computer without the PDF and the comments here. RTFMing really works sometimes.

I purchased the same Kingspec drive and successfully replaced it. At one point, I was sure I damaged that goofy little ribbon thing, but luckily it stayed intact.

I put everything together again and I am not able to get anything to boot correctly.
- I get the main BIOS screen and am able to go into the BIOS
- I can select the boot order and when I boot the CD starts spinning but I end up with a screen that says "operating system not found"
- The HD, optical, etc is all recognized and appears to be working properly
- I tried booting off a USB drive but no dice
- I tried disabling all boot choices except optical and USB, no dice
- I tried booting with Win7, Linux, and distributions on CD rather than DVD (thanks for that advice tony_wh), nothing.
- I also found out that my BIOS is an older version and am wondering if I should update and if I can from a CD.

Any ideas? I am about 8 hours into my 14 hours...

Collapse -
Update Sony TX1HP with a kingspec drive
by padishar73 / February 4, 2011 10:38 PM PST

I only needed less than 2 hours. Thanks of you guys !!!
How I did it:
1. Search and Download the disassemble manual for your notebook
2. Order a CF to USB Converter for the kingspec drive (ebay)
3. Install a HDD-Cloning tool to your Sony Notebook, like Acronis True Image
4. Connect the Kingspec drive with the cf converter over USB to your sony
5. Clone your internal (old) Sony drive over the USB to your kingspec drive (takes around 90 minutes).
6. Drink a big glass of good red vine, cause now you are going to need a calm hand and a lot of patience Happy
7. Disassemble the notebook and remove the old drive
8. connect the kingspec drive to the internal cf port
9. connect the keyboard, power source and try if your sony is going to boot
10. If it is going to boot. You are done... reassemble the sony.
11. finish the bottle of vine while trying the new speed of your sony...

Advantages:
You don?t need to change the bios.
You don?t need to reinstall the system.
You don?t need any install-media.
You are finished under 2 hours....

Collapse -
Which hard drive and model were you deling with?
by ezdealz / February 12, 2011 8:37 AM PST

I have the VGN-TXN15P/B and it uses the PATA ZIF hard drive. I have used Acronis before and followed your suggestions. When I try to boot the laptop is seems to hang on the post screen. I also tried to do a clean install but the bios seems to just hand whenever I install my 128GB Kingspec SSD. I know the drive works I was able to access it and format it using a USB to ZIF adapter.

Collapse -
which Sony do you have and which interface on HD
by ezdealz / April 27, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

<a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/padishar73/"><font color="#0066a0">padishar73</font></a>
Please read posts below. I have a TXN-15P with the ZIF interface and am using the exact steps you describe above (I'm familiar with Acronis) but my laptop freezes upon post. Is your 1.8 drive the PATA 50 pin interface? My drive is the PATA ZIF interface. I wonder if I could change to PATA 50 pin interface by just buying the different ribbon cable?

Collapse -
Sony VGN-TXN15P
by CApounds / August 26, 2012 1:21 PM PDT

Did you ever get this Kingspec to work on your sony. I have the same problem as you. The drive is seen by the bios but when you allow it to attempt to boot it hangs for a long time then the drive can't been seen.

Collapse -
Vaio VGN-TX2 and Kingspec SSD - does not boot
by rherzog9978 / July 12, 2013 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony VGN-TXN15P

Hi,
This is a 2013 reply to a thread dated 2012... Anyhow, I managed to install a Kingspec 128 Gbyte SDD in my Vaios VGN-TX2. It is recognised by the BIOS as "KingSpec KSD-ZF18.1-128MJ-(PM)" which looked as encouraging regarding the future success of the migration...
I could start the installation of Windows 7 from the DVD, but windows does not boot. I get a "read error" message right after the system tries to access the SDD. I also installed Ubuntu hoping this installation would clean up where Windows 7 did not succeed, but here also, no boot from SSD.
I did NOT specifically format the SDD, expecting Windows and Linux would take care of formatting.
Before starting the "migration" (my machine was dual-boot W7-Ubuntu from the original Toshiba 80 G HDD), I did create a boot disk (a USB external disk made with "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0") but could not use it as I realised too late that my TX2 does not allow booting from USB...
Can anybody help ?
Greetings,
Robert Herzog

Collapse -
I see you top posted. Locking this old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 11:04 AM PDT

As this is more than 1351 days old and I see a duplicate this old post is closed.

Feel free to create a new post as needed.

Collapse -
Keep Going! You just need to work round the OS
by tony_wh / February 13, 2011 6:07 AM PST

Hi gmdgarcia

It sounds to me as if the hardware is OK and you're just having a problem with installing the OS.

I like padishar73 's elegant solution. I ended up installing MSDOS, partitioning the drive, installing XP and finally installing Win7!

Good Luck

Collapse -
Still tryng...
by gmdgarcia / February 14, 2011 1:47 AM PST

Thanks for the info.

I bought an external DVD and it weirdly enough, it will only boot up Windows 7 (but Windows will not recognize the drive). I tried to boot a Linux distribution to format the drive, but no dice. Nothing will boot from the internal DVD drive. I want to try padishar73 's elegant solution, but that means taking whole thing apart again, which I would rather avoid. Where did you get MS-DOS?

Collapse -
MSDOS
by tony_wh / February 14, 2011 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Still tryng...

Google is your friend! I'm afraid I can't remember.

Collapse -
vgn tx3 ssd failure to install. bios too old (?)
by hlorofos / April 9, 2011 12:59 AM PDT

I've got KSD-CF18.1 64Mb, which is unfortunately doesn't run on my old VGN-TX3 model. The BIOS recognize the drive however it won't boot neither from SDD nor from CD-ROM. Seems BIOS can't handle this drive properly. The old hard drive has been thrown away and I've booting from SSD installed in USB case.

There is some space inside the notebook near hard drive (and SDD is slimmer than original hard drive), so at the first look its possible to install USB->CF converter somehow near SD card driver. However my converter seems too big to be installed without moving out something from inside. Maybe I will remove internal CD-ROM since I never using it.

Collapse -
That no boot from CD ROM is a sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

That usually is a sign the CD ROM drive has dirty lens or has failed.
Bob

Collapse -
no, thats not it
by hlorofos / April 9, 2011 4:26 PM PDT

no, thats not it. without SSD connected to the internal CF port system boots just fine.

Collapse -
Can't decode your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 4:48 PM PDT
In reply to: no, thats not it

TLA MIA.

Collapse -
Same situation for me.
by gmdgarcia / April 10, 2011 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: no, thats not it

I am in the same boat. When I had the SSD in my TX, the CD-rom wouldn't boot. I used an external DVD drive and it would only boot WIndows 7 (but Windows 7 would not recognize the drive either). It would not boot any other operating system, including Wondows XP, multiple flavours of Linux, etc. When I have the old Toshiba HDD in the unit, I can boot anything off the CD-ROM. I still have not been able to get my SSD to work with my Sony TX 850P.

As for you, the SSD is recognized via the USB connection.

Finally, I tried the elegant solution of using Acronis, but no dice there either.

Collapse -
That's a sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2011 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Same situation for me.

That the master/slave system is defective in this system. You might get around all it by removing the CD-rom and booting from external.

Kingwin's document does not show a cure.
Bob

Collapse -
I think there is another problem with this sony computers
by padishar73 / April 10, 2011 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a sign.

Everything works out fine, if you clone the original system shipped with the sony. If you try to install a new drive and install a new os to it, it is
going to fail - cause the system searches for the recovery partition etc..

So I think the only way is, to clone the original system to the new drive via USB. And after inserting the drive with old OS, booting with it, you are able to install Windows7. But you should leave the recovery space where it is...

My little one works with the original Windows XP now for more than 2 month. It is a lot of fun, it consumes less energy and it is really fast and you don?t have to worry in shaking it...:-)

Collapse -
I think it has to be the BIOS
by gmdgarcia / April 24, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

padishar73 - I tried resetting everything to the factory settings... back to Windows XP, it has the recovery partition, etc. (using recovery disks) and the same situation exists. When I put the Kingspec in there, it will not boot. The CDRom will not even spin to check for a disc (like it does when it boots in Windows XP). I think it has to be a BIOS issue.

Would you be so kind to tell me which BIOS you have installed on your working system? I am running R0034N3

Collapse -
No Boot from CD ROM
by tony_wh / April 16, 2011 7:41 AM PDT

My take on the CD ROM thing was that as the TX2 was fairly old, it wasn't a drive you could install from and you had to put 'drivers' on first.

Collapse -
gmdgarcia
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2011 6:19 AM PDT

The cause is now WELL KNOWN. Since you can't change the jumper on the drives, the only fix I know of is to remove the internal CD drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Internal CD-ROM
by gmdgarcia / April 24, 2011 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: gmdgarcia

Thanks Bob - Is there a well known guide on how to remove the internal CD-ROM? And are you suggesting that the SSD will boot if the CD-ROM is disconnected? Is there a discussion on this that my google searches did not uncover?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.