Laptops

General discussion

sony vaio, touchpad behaving badly ?

by AA90278 / June 16, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

I have a sony vaio SZ48, it is 4 months old, it came pre-loaded with vista business -

Recently I have noticed that if I am using a USB mouse, things seem fine, but If i am using the touch-pad, the cursor on the screen seems to move in the total opposite direction to what I want..

That is, if I scroll up, it goes down.. if i scroll right, it goes left ?

Has anybody else had this issue ? any solutions ?

Please help..... thankyou.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sony vaio, touchpad behaving badly ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sony vaio, touchpad behaving badly ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At 4 months, call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

ALWAYS call in every issue. You don't want such things to build up and you fall out of warranty.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, Im afriad that's might be the solution
by AA90278 / June 16, 2007 6:42 PM PDT

Cheers Bob- there have been a few strange behaviours on this laptop, but I guess I've been trying to sort them out without taking it in given the downtime involved. I might have to bite the bullet though.

Collapse -
If you don't report them...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 11:29 PM PDT

You end up at the end of the warranty, something happens and you call it in.

Then you tell them you've had problems for the entire year but they tell you there is no record of it. I've seen this happen and the owner gets burned up about owning a cranky machine.

Build the case.

Bob

Collapse -
Sony Touchpad / Trackpad Defective
by EvgaCard / August 23, 2009 3:02 PM PDT

Yep, my Sony laptop now has a broken touchpad/trackpad. Cursor moves in opposite direction to my touchpad input. Infuriating. Called Sony, they told me the whole driver/reboot/reinstall song-and-dance.

Nothing worked, I'm certain it's a hardware issue like others are reporting. Looks like lots of people are reporting touchpad problems: http://www.classactionfaq.com/sonytouchpad/

Collapse -
problem with SONY VGN-SZ360P touchpad
by lfvsouza / June 28, 2007 9:47 AM PDT

hey bro,

dont mean to scare you, bro, but i have a 6 months old Vaio SZ360 and it started doing this up/down right/left switch a couple of months ago: i called sony support, and made all the steps they talk me to do, like reseting the damm thing, reinstalling everything from scratch, and the problem persists. So, after some time, it began to get worst, going ballistic in my screen, hitting buttons i didn't press. A month ago, the touchpad decided to stop working. Now it is plain dead. Nothing. I have to buy this ridiculous external usb mouse to make this 2,499 piece of equipment to work. It is absurd and we are not alone. I've seen reports by the dozen of sony vaio angry users about this stupid ALPS touchpad. Sony is for sure out of my buying list for laptops for as long as i can remember this stupid touchpad.

Collapse -
Same problem here...
by DEANintheYAY / June 30, 2007 3:32 AM PDT

SO what you guys are saying is that once a usb mouse is installed the problem goes away? We just bought a Sony VGN sz440 laptop and are having the same issue of the mouse going haywire and also having windows flash in and out. My girlfriend is going to take the bar with this laptopa dn we would like to have this issue fixed. I am considering installing a copy of XP just to give ourselves some piece of mind, but if its a touchpad issue do you think this will help?

I am starting to believe my friend when he told me not to buy a laptop from a TV company. He said its like eating a burger from Tace Bell...

Collapse -
thx for the feedback/input guys
by AA90278 / June 30, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here...

At the moment my problem persists when I am using the touchpad only (ie. totally wireless, no usb mouse attached).

I also get the flickering of the windows, usually upon loging in & also when i come back from 'sleep' mode. I did call up about the flickering within the first week of purchase and the dealer (licensed sony dealer) allowed me to come into the store & have a play with all the other sony machines & unfort they all flicker upon login.. so "its just the way they are, it seems" i was told.

As for the touchpad issue, I will call Sony this week & report back. I hope it won't be disruptive to my workflow.

Cheers,

Collapse -
Thanks....
by DEANintheYAY / June 30, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

I guess I am off to buy a mouse. It s so funny that you pay $2,000 for a laptop and you have to get an external mouse to handle this issue. I will likely call Sony as well, but at the moment it seems like the temporary fix will be the external mouse. You guys using an wireless mouse? No problems with it? Thanks!

Dean

Collapse -
usb mouse
by AA90278 / June 30, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks....

i haven't tried a wireless mouse with this notebook yet. but a decent usb mouse should do the trick - usb 1 or 2; i have a logitech optical; remember if the mouse is too fast, it's actually inconvenient to be chasing it around the screen all the time. Goodluck & look fwd to hearing what sony advise as a solution to you..

Collapse -
XP don't fix it, i've tried
by lfvsouza / July 1, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: usb mouse

Hey Dean,

sorry to tell you that, but XP install doesnt fix the problem. I tried that and it is as bad as VISTA regarding the touchpad issue. About the mouse, i've tried a regular microsoft mouse and a friend of mine - with the same problem - uses a wireless one. It is probably ok both ways, because the problem is with the touchpad hardware, and not with the mouse driver or something, so when you start using the USB for mouse connection, the problem is solve (ridiculous again: solve a 2,499 laptop machine with a 4,99 usb dollar). One thing i have tried that somehow diminished the problem was uninstalling the fingerprint reader (located in some models right between the touchpad buttons). It aparently made the touchpad work again for several days, but now it is as dead as a touchpad can be, so I reinstalled the damn fingerprint reader again (which works fine, btw).
So, anyone interested in buying a brand new, 6 months old, Sony VGN-SZ360P laptop in perfect conditions, except for the stupid touchad issue ??? I sell it cheap, and I am not kidding. Going for a HP or TOSHIBA. Sony for me is dead.

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED
by lfvsouza / July 3, 2007 9:44 PM PDT

Hey guys,

i just returned from the Sony authorized support and they performed a "cleaning" in the laptop, it was dusty inside - so they said. Now it is working fine. I hope i don't have to go back to cleaning every four months to keep it working. It is nice to have my touchpad back.

Collapse -
Great News!
by AA90278 / July 4, 2007 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: PROBLEM SOLVED

That's great news! Did you have to leave your laptop with them or did they perform the cleaning exercise as you waited ?

Collapse -
Will Buy
by eaalexander / September 11, 2008 4:55 AM PDT

I will buy your laptop. Please send me your telephone number and I will call you to set it up.

Collapse -
My sony vaio SZ360 touchpad is not working
by mallikmajety / September 8, 2007 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here...

I too have the same problem...suddenly my touchpad stopped working...when i see the hardware for mouse, it shows blank..there is no driver installed...i have reinstalled the driver for touchpad and usb mouse several times using vaio recovery tools but of no use...

and now one of my usb port also stopped working....external usb mouse is not working in that port but is working on another port....

all the pblms seems strange....can any one please help me out

Collapse -
Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

Extend the warranty and call it in. Repairs are more than most suspect for laptops.

Bob

Collapse -
sony vaio problem...
by brodysea / August 7, 2009 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Tip.

hey guys my friends son just had a accident involving a german shepard dropping the sony laptop and going to circuit city where it was purchased and being told that if they examined it and decided that the problem was caused by you "your fault" that it would void the warranty and that it will cost them $250 for another hard drive and the poor kid will have it taken out of his hide by moms in the course of doing chores probably for 5 years according to his dad.
any help sounds fishy to me the reason you purchase a computer repair plan is because stuff happens it is usually a accident that cause physical damage circuit had the nerve to say that they could visually tell that he broke the needle that reads the hard drive.
help if you can

Collapse -
Sony Vaio mouse probles - final attempt to resolve
by steven trehub / September 19, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

This is a letter I am sending out today. It is my last attempt to get this problem corrected. I think legal action, maybe class action suit my be next step.

September 20, 2007

Sony Electronics
Attn: Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Meyers, FL 33913

Dear Sir,

I am writing this letter as my last attempt to resolve an ongoing issue prior to taking legal action against Sony.

I purchased a Sony Vaio computer model VGN-SZ330P about a year ago. I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the touchpad which causes the cursor to behave erratically and results in unpredictable behavior, often of a destructive nature to the application I am running when this occurs.

When I first experienced this problem, I contacted Sony and the told me it was not a hardware problem but a virus and I needed to reformat my hard drive to clean up the problem. At their suggestion, I installed Vista for Business using recommended procedures. This did not correct the problem and once again the cursor would intermittently move in the opposite direction from the mousepad action.

I notified Sony of this and was told to return the unit for repair. I asked them not to reformat my hard drive without first notifying me and was assured that I would be contacted if this was necessary. The unit was returned to me about a week later and the only thing that was done was that the hard drive was reformatted and returned to it?s factory state. Nothing was done to correct the touchpad problem.

I called Sony again, repeated the history and sequence of problems and was told I would need to return the unit again for repair. I did so and got the unit back about a week later, with a new touchpad having been installed and the hard drive again reformatted. After a few days, the cursor again began having the exact same problem.

I contacted Sony support yet again, went through the entire sequence of events, explained the intermittent nature of the problem and asked for a replacement unit because I am suffering business losses and expending an extraordinary amount of effort in restoring my data back to it?s required configuration. I was told that could not be done and I needed to return the unit for repair yet again. I was also informed that the return facility that they had me ship it to in Tennessee was not familiar with the touchpad problem and was not the correct facility to diagnose/repair the computer and it needed to go to the San Diego facility.

I sent the computer to San Diego in the box sent to me and was assured it would not be returned to me before extensive testing was performed to be sure it was fixed. I expressed my concern and doubt as this is an intermittent, but recurring problem and I had been down this same path two times before. However, as I was not given an option for replacement, I returned the unit yet again.

The unit was returned to me with the problem supposedly corrected (again) and about a week later the exact same problem began once again. At that point I did some research on the web and found (through the CNET website) that there are many, many other Sony Vaio computer owners that are experiencing the exact same problem with their touchpads and none of them have been able to successfully get this problem fixed other than by using an external mouse instead of the built in touchpad.

At this point, the situation is simply not acceptable and I contacted Sony support today requesting a replacement unit. I spoke to an agent named Melissa, agent number CZJL and was told I could not get a replacement, but had to send the unit in yet again to have the problem diagnosed, and if it was found to be having problems, then maybe they could consider replacement, but no assurance could be made that this would be done. Since I?ve already had it ?repaired? 3 previous times and each time Sony felt satisfied that the issue was corrected when in fact the exact same problem reoccurred within a week of it having been returned to me, I have absolutely no confidence or reason to believe sending it back a 4th time will result in anything different.

I am asking at this time that I can return the unit to Sony and have a replacement unit sent to me without first requiring another attempt to repair this defective computer. For reference, I am giving you the most recent event ID so you can review the history for yourselves. It is E34862005.

If I do not get this resolved at this time, my only next option will be to consider what legal remedies there are for me in this case.

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Sincerely,

Collapse -
Great!
by gfsound / September 19, 2007 4:11 AM PDT

Great letter. Let me ask you, have you owned your computer for OVER one year? I'm asking because I have and I can't even TALK to anyone there anymore. I sent in my unit on THREE (3) occasions to have it repaired, hard drive reformatted, etc. during my one year period (each time to fix the touchpad). All of this was to no avail, however, as my touchpad is STILL not functioning properly. However, now that I am outside the one year window, I have no recourse it seems. Please keep us up to date on your progress, and if you have any suggestions on contacting Sony about this issue post warranty support. Thanks and good luck.

Collapse -
Sony Vaio - touchpad problems - contact the Chairman of Sony
by islandpaul / January 16, 2008 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Great!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN9Z120P notebook computer. Within the one year warranty the cursor began operating in the reverse direction to which you moved the touchpad, making it almost impossible to use. Repeatedly rebooting the computer would eventually correct the problem. I complained to Sony on four occasions and spent hours on the phone with them - getting passed from the Phillipines to their support Stateside. We reloaded the touchpad/mouse software and installed upgrades, none of which worked. I was told it was caused by static buildup and told to unplug the AC adaptor when not in use. None of this worked. I was told if I reinstalled the operating system this should fix it and told that if it didn't they would send me a new one. I reinstalled the operating system at a cost of over $300.00 and countless hours of time in backing up and restoring programs. It did not fix the problem and it came back in weeks. Eventually I was outside the warranty period and then the Sony support help became rude and hostile and told me to return the laptop at my expense and they would look at it. They refused to send me a new one. I now see from the posts on this site that backing up my data again and sending the notebook to them and being without it for weeks if not months is likely a complete waste of time and money. The problem has now become progressively worse and I am now compelled to use a USB mouse since the touchpad is basically useless. At the present time I am faxing and phoning the Chairman of Sony Corporation of America; Sir Howard Stringer,Chairman & Chief Executive Officer,Sony Corporation, 550 Madison Avenue, 34th Floor
New York, NY 10022. Fax number(212) 833-6932 and phone number (212) 833-6800. I thought I was alone with this problem since Sony claimed they had never heard of it. Now I have discovered this site and found I am not alone. If we all pressure Sony one would think that they might do the right thing, alternatively we need to consider contacting the US consumer authorities or consider a class action. They have a problem with their touchpad and their approach is to deny it and hope we will go away. Sony's support is lousy compared to HP's and they try to route you to support in third world countries who try to exhaust you in the hope you will give up.
Good luck and let me know if anyone has any success with this these Sony people. Islandpaul

Collapse -
Vaio is hopeless
by Marcus Richardson / April 16, 2008 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Great!

I have been a Mac user for some time and found them great but I needed a very light windows operating system for work. I got the vaio TZ250 this week....within 10 minutes the mouse started clicking on links on the web even when my hand was no where near the touch pad. I brought it back and got another...same problem although to a lesser extent. Absolute rubbish. Brought it back again. I now have an asus and so far so good. fingers crossed.

Re the Vaio I should have known better given the same problem existed on a version my wife bought 3 years ago. From day one it was never right: the mouse would jump to different places in a line of text when typing...so frustrating. I thought maybe sony had resolved this problem but clearly not. Pathetic. Do not buy a vaio.

Collapse -
Sony Vaio touchpad model: VGN-SZ360P
by jeffryv / October 8, 2007 8:39 AM PDT

I purchased my Sony Vaio in April 2007. Within six months of purchasing it, I have already had to replace the touchpad twice. It is now malfunctioning again. I am very disappointed in this product. It is the worst experience I have had with a laptop. I will not purchase a Sony again unless the company resolves this issue to my satisfaction. It would not surprise me if someone files a class action lawsuit against Sony for its defective touchpads on many of their Vaio models.

Collapse -
Vaio touchy
by tlstory / December 30, 2007 9:29 AM PST

This touchpad is ridiculous. Everytime Ihe type it flys to another part of the text. thanks for t oh you know.... I don't think I will be getting another Vaio but they were nice when I called up and sent me two chargers saying that was surely the problem. disable until the laptop an be replaced

Collapse -
Sony Vaio cursor operating in reverse
by islandpaul / January 16, 2008 4:44 AM PST

Hi Steven:

Did you have any luck going to the Executive Review Committee. I was referred there but instead I am writing the Chairman and CEO of Sony. I am going to start phoning him tomorrow.

A concise history of my problem is below - same problem as yours and everyone else's. A laptop/notebook with a non-useable touch pad - great eh !

Regards

Paul

I have a Sony Vaio VGN9Z120P notebook computer. Within the one year warranty the cursor began operating in the reverse direction to which you moved the touchpad, making it almost impossible to use. Repeatedly rebooting the computer would eventually correct the problem. I complained to Sony on four occasions and spent hours on the phone with them - getting passed from the Phillipines to their support Stateside. We reloaded the touchpad/mouse software and installed upgrades, none of which worked. I was told it was caused by static buildup and told to unplug the AC adaptor when not in use. None of this worked. I was told if I reinstalled the operating system this should fix it and told that if it didn't they would send me a new one. I reinstalled the operating system at a cost of over $300.00 and countless hours of time in backing up and restoring programs. It did not fix the problem and it came back in weeks. Eventually I was outside the warranty period and then the Sony support help became rude and hostile and told me to return the laptop at my expense and they would look at it. They refused to send me a new one. I now see from the posts on this site that backing up my data again and sending the notebook to them and being without it for weeks if not months is likely a complete waste of time and money. The problem has now become progressively worse and I am now compelled to use a USB mouse since the touchpad is basically useless. At the present time I am faxing and phoning the Chairman of Sony Corporation of America; Sir Howard Stringer,Chairman & Chief Executive Officer,Sony Corporation, 550 Madison Avenue, 34th Floor
New York, NY 10022. Fax number(212) 833-6932 and phone number (212) 833-6800 . I thought I was alone with this problem since Sony claimed they had never heard of it. Now I have discovered this site and found I am not alone. If we all pressure Sony one would think that they might do the right thing, alternatively we need to consider contacting the US consumer authorities or consider a class action. They have a problem with their touchpad and their approach is to deny it and hope we will go away. Sony's support is lousy compared to HP's and they try to route you to support in third world countries who try to exhaust you in the hope you will give up.
Good luck and let me know if anyone has any success with this these Sony people. Islandpaul

Collapse -
sony problem resolved
by steven trehub / January 17, 2008 9:29 AM PST

Well, after much frustration (see history on this link), Sony finally replaced my laptop about 2 months ago. The replacement has been functioning fine.

Don't give up on escalating the problem - good luck!

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Cursor working in reverse
by islandpaul / January 18, 2008 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: sony problem resolved

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the update - so Sony finally replaced your laptop after returning it to them for repairs three times. I just can't afford to be without it for weeks and to go through that exercise.

I did find out yesterday that the Chairman of Sony, Sir Howard Stringer, does not take calls or answer his faxes so short to going down to Madison Avenue and making a scene I guess I will have to start writing to these Sony ******** at the Executive Review Committee in Fort Myers, Florida.

Would I buy another Sony laptop - not on your life ! I have spent hours of my time if not days talking to Sony's customer support in the Philipines and the whole thing is a joke, they just want to wear you down and hope you and your laptop with non-functioning touchpad will go away. You demand to be put through to someone Stateside and 90% of the time they tell you they can't or like yesterday they give you another number which directs you right back to the Philipines.

Anyway your success in dealing with them does give me some hope and I will keep going at them and I guess look into legal action.

Cheers

Paul

Collapse -
Drunk touch pad
by Padnuh / January 17, 2008 11:00 AM PST

This Sony VGN-SZ430N was so impressive for a couple of months. Then, my cursor began to operate exactly opposite of the way it should. At the time, I could restart and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Now, I have learned to track backwards because it is my only option. I also had to learn to live without bluetooth connectivity with my Blackberry Pearl because the Panasonic Stack (which is the only one that functions on the Vaio). Hours of "support" only directed me to reloading the operating system.

I have no faith in the retailer that sold me the computer and even less faith in the Sony help folks. Every post I have read here and other places affirms my experiences. "Reload your operating system". That does not work for either of these issues.

I did read a recent post that stated the touchpad problem was hardware, but I can't remember where. We recently made the decision to begin replacing outdated Dell laptops with Vaios for our employees. I'm the only one so far with the touchpad issue, but the lack of support and resolutoion of this issue has sent me back to Dell for new laptop needs. What a shame. I really liked this laptop until I had to deal with support.

Anyone else had any luck?

Jim

Collapse -
Please notify me...
by jcloninger1976 / March 21, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

If anyone has a final fix, or if there is a class action suit, please notify me to be included. I find it ridiculous that an expensive piece of equipment, that I use daily in order to administrate my business and the projects associate with my business, should require an external mouse in order to work properly... I suppose that I also need to ensure that I'm sitting at a table with enough space for a mouse? Maybe on the plane, I should use the food tray of the person next to me? I didn't pay thousands of dollars for a "top of the line" piece of crap, and I want Sony to take responsibility for their mistake.

Collapse -
Please notify me too.
by immigrant_investor / March 13, 2009 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Please notify me...

My VAIO started to have the mouse problem about a week ago and it's steadly getting worst.

On top of that, it crashed. I thought Vista can't crash.

But it did and I had to re do the whole hard drive, including formatting and re-installing the operating system.

I lost alot of songs that I bought at I-tune and other data as well.

Also, AC adapter on the VAIO clunked out and I had to buy one off of E-bay.

I am disappointed and mad as hell with SONY stuff.

I thought I was paying good money thinking they have the brand that suppose to be superior than the others.

My wife's computer, which cost hald as much than mine works much better and there is no problem with hers.

I don't think I will ever buy another SONY and I feel sorry for anyone taking out VAIO at an airport lounges now.

Collapse -
Sony vaio cursor reverse problem- SOLVED!! CHECK OUT.
by zx_345345 / January 12, 2009 5:24 AM PST

I had been having the same irritating problem of cursor moving in the reverse direction for quite a few months. I own a Vaio SZ61 series.
I called sony and they said it is a hardware problem and that i will have to send the unit to them for repair. He pulled out an estimated bill of

Collapse -
Mousepad Reversal - Class Action
by kemistx / August 26, 2009 1:09 AM PDT

I have been having the mousepad reversal problem for some time. I called the Sony support line (888) 476-6938.

My model #: Sony VGN SZ640

My service tag #: R5314655

My product code#: 28399208

I spoke with a gentleman named Charlie who was quite nice.

Since its out of warranty they want $269 to repair and I was told to send the unit to SD regional repair center:

SD Regional Repair Center
16550 Via Esprillo
Building 5 Door 2
San Diego, CA 92127

I was told the problem was not repairable by reinstalling software because the problem was a result of ?static buildup? and he seemed quite familiar with it. He described the symptoms accurately (reversal of mouse pad, happening seemingly randomly ? sometimes at startup and sometimes not ? very frustrating problem etc).

At this time I have found that a San Diego-based firm is making a move toward filing a class action lawsuit. You can contact them below to let them know you want to be on the list or better yet act as a class representative:

Zeldes & Haeggquist, LLP
625 Broadway, Suite 906
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: 619-434-0024
Toll-Free: 866-475-7290
Fax: 619-342-7878
www.zhlaw.com

Thanks guys and good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.