Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sony Vaio ShutDown?

by nelly6162 / August 15, 2005 12:42 PM PDT

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ610, known problem with their shutdown,(through other forums).

it turns on, the disk is spinning and that's it, sometimes it comes up all the way to the desktop, i can go online and perform regular tasks, but after sometime shuts down automatically without any notice, and wont boot up again, i dont know what seems to be the problem

please help, still got to pay the remainder of the loan.

thanks

nik.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio ShutDown?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio ShutDown?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio ShutDown?

You could tell what OS, but type in AUMHA SHUTDOWN at google.com to find the usual shutdown troubleshooting guide. Sorry I can't be more specific but you didn't tell what OS.

Bob

Collapse -
my bad
by nelly6162 / August 16, 2005 12:52 PM PDT

the OS is Windows XP Home SP1

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Shut Down
by ancarte / August 24, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

This shut down is due to your system overheating because the cooling system i.e. the heatsink radiator and cooling fan is caked with dust particles.I Have a PCG-GRZ570 which had the same problem and was rectified by a good clean-out - it now works like the first day i got it.

The shutdown is a safety shut feature when yr machine gets to an unstable temperature and will cause damge to surounding chips if not rectified.The memory sockets are also known to give in, due to this heat build up, resulting in the machine failing to boot up.

To clean the system out you need to strip the laptop, and remove the fan housing, cpu, and heatsink.This must be done rather than using compressed air to blow out the dust.

If you need more information on how to do this, let me know.

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Shut Down
by dannyaz / May 12, 2010 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio Shut Down

Hi:

I need help doing this, if you don't mind. I have a PCG-5K1L Model (also known as VGN-CR4000). It has the exact problem you decribe. I work on it for 5 min and it shuts down. I'm not sure how to open the computer and how to access the motherboard (I assume i need to remove the keyboard and don't know how). Also, when I remove the processor, fan and heatsink, do i have to replace that aluminum foil (not sure what it is called). Once all that is done, how do I actually clean, because you mentioned that compressed air will not do the job.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
danny@azoulay.ca

Collapse -
2005, or FIVE years later. Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio Shut Down

Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452

There are many web pages about getting laptops opened up so I'll not write about that. As to the FOIL I have not found that material for years (since about 1998) in use. Today it's your common easy to find heat sink compound.

With all due respect not everyone is cut out to repair their machines. Take it to a service center if you can't find your way around this.
Bob

Collapse -
Talked to Sony?
by Yew / August 25, 2005 3:41 AM PDT

About the only reason to get a name brand system is the warranty, so if you're not going to make good on that...

Collapse -
Temperature problem
by audiorecs / August 27, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

Sounds like a temperature problem, i used to work with laptops, and those are the simptoms with very easy solutions...

Did you check the fans for dirt or in the cooling system?
be sure to use the laptop in a position were all the ventilation openings are free to receive air..

maybe it could be the cooling grease that's been wore out...

that may help Silly

Collapse -
Sony VAIO Laptop Shutdown issue
by michelsmith / September 25, 2011 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Temperature problem

Hi,

To resolve hardware issues you will have to upgrade the motherboard BIOS. Check the APM and apply a forced close. Disable fast shutdown via "advanced troubleshooting settings" in the operation menu under 'Start'. Check if all open applications have been appropriately closed, and no program is instigating a forced shutdown. Remember, the Internet Explorer browser is resource-intensive; it occupies almost 80% of memory space and may run software that hinders the shutdown process. Ensure that this browser is closed. Memory resident 16-bit software or bugs can easily lead to conflicts that affect the normal system shutdown process. Use "System Configuration Utility" available under 'System Tools' in the 'Start' menu to remove or configure these viruses or files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.