in each of the 3 slots. Perhaps the result might be that not quite
all the 3 GB of RAM is functional, but the functional RAM might
nonetheless still exceed 1.5 GB.

For example, I know of another computer
(all I know of it is that it had an Intel Atom 330 processor) that
had a nominal max RAM of 2 GB, but when 4 GB was installed, 3.3 GB
was found to be recognized and usable.

I am prepared to take the risk and put
3 GB of RAM in the Vaio. Any feedback on this idea?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio PCV-RX850 memory hack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio PCV-RX850 memory hack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Generic answer
by Willy / January 7, 2012 11:28 PM PST

Quick answer, visit the website: http://www.crucial.com and enter your PC info and it will report what it supports in ram.

Collapse -
Specs state...
by Willy / January 7, 2012 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Generic answer

I did a quick review of the specs offered by the support webpage. They point only to 1.5gb of ram can be installed. These are PC-2100 ram sticks. Newer ram is much faster and can be installed or be offered 4sale at higher speed. This is a physical limit the mtrbd. support probably to bios constraints. Though you can actually installed 3x1gb sticks, the bios will allow only 1/2 of that amount per stick. What maybe possible is to look for the status of the bios present. If a later bios update is available it *may* address ram increased amounts, then and only then will it accept a full 3gb of installed ram. Because, your PC is dated it's worth looking into, but again because it dated, support has long passed for anything current. good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I'll give it a try
by seaskyblue / January 8, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Specs state...

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I happen to have two spare sticks of 1 GB RAM that I think is compatible with the Vaio, and which would nominally increase the RAM from 1.5 GB to 2.5 GB.

So, I think I'll do a "Hail Mary" and plug those two 1 GB sticks into the PC and see what happens.

I will report back in the next day or so on what happened as a result.

By the way, I installed the Linux distro Kubuntu 11.10 onto the Vaio as the OS.

Willy--I have no experience in updating BIOS, but might consider trying that after seeing what happens with the upgrade to 2.5 GB. At any rate, this Viao PC is just an extra PC that I can experiment with, and if things go bad with it, it's not really a problem.

Collapse -
Success--and failure
by Combobulater / January 16, 2012 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: I'll give it a try

I replaced two of the three 512-MB sticks of RAM with two 1-GB sticks, increasing the total RAM from 1.5 GB to 2.5 GB. (As mentioned earlier, the Sony specification for this PC is 1.5 GB maximum.) When I started up the computer, the BIOS recognized all of the installed RAM, as "2560 MB." However, the computer then produced a much louder operating sound--a loud whirring--than before. It sounded like the system was overclocked and straining. That obviously was not good. After I had the PC shut down for about a half hour, I restarted it, and got an excessive temperature warning in BIOS. Even after the 1/2-hour shutdown, the CPU temperature was at 76.5 degrees C and highlighted in red type--so the system had a lot of thermal inertia. I decided not to endanger the PC further, so I removed the two 1-GB RAM sticks, and re-installed the original two 512-MB RAM sticks they had replaced, for a total of 1.5 GB of RAM.

Well, this was a learning experience!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.