Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony vaio laptop will not power on ($20 if you can fix it)

by hammydude / January 1, 2008 8:56 AM PST

I have a sony vaio laptop, it is a few years old and it will not turn on. I lent it to a friend for the past year, when i finally got it backed i learned it would not turn on. I do not know how long it has been in this condition. I have tested the external power supply to make sure that it is providing power and its connection is good, and it works fine, I have even tried a spare external power supply.

Before my laptop would not turn on at all, no power lights or anything. I opened my laptop up, inside i noticed on the chip where it connects to the external power supply the connector was very poorly soldered (half assed job by sony, flux everywhere, way too much solder). I used my voltmeter to test the connections on it and sure enough there was a faulty circuit on the connector. I took that chip out, and resoldered on the connector, and now my voltmeter shows it is a continous circuit now.

Now when i plug in the external power adaptor and press the power button, two leds turn on (they never did that before). I again tested it and the whole computer gets power. I took out the ram, hard drive, dvd drive, and battery in attempts to see if they were causing the malfuntion, but it still does not work.

I think that the cpu/northbridge/some other compoment is fried, reventing it from turning on. I have tried letting it be plugged in overnight, as others have suggested and that still did not fix it. The only signs of life it has when you try to turn it on are the two leds lighting up, no fans turn on, no lcd, no hard drive, no anything.

Anybody here have any suggestions? If your suggestion fixes it ill give you $20 paypal or a $20 check

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony vaio laptop will not power on ($20 if you can fix it)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony vaio laptop will not power on ($20 if you can fix it)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
updatted info
by hammydude / January 1, 2008 8:57 AM PST

I guess i should mention the laptop is model number pcg-9d6l

Collapse -
laptop doesn't have indicators of power on
by fans76 / August 10, 2010 8:45 PM PDT

someone I know was working with my computer. Hi forgot it on the blanket and when he come back after a few hours, it didn't come up. Even the light indicators of power or the fan doesn't show any thing. I removed the battery, tried with a new charger the laptop to turn it on, but nothing happen. No sign of life in it. someone can tell me what's going on?

Collapse -
That's not good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2010 10:55 PM PDT

You can try the generic reset written up in the Cnet laptop troubleshooting forum sticky but leaving laptops with the air vents blocked and powered up is not good. It could fry a chip which you have to replace the motherboard to get it working again.

Collapse -
by fans76 / August 10, 2010 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: That's not good.

Thank you for your answer. first I will try with what you have written. I am just new at cnet and computers.

tnks again

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.