Laptops forum

Question

Sony Vaio laptop problems

by wrtsocal / August 23, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

Hello - I'm having some problems and need advice. I don't fix my own computers, so I'm not able to do too many DIY fixes. I can't afford to take this computer in to get serviced. I have a desktop as a back up but I hate to just let this notebook die.

Notebook:
Sony Vaio Vista Home 2007 Service Pack 1
Intel Core TM2 CPU T5500@1.66GHz 1.67GHz
2.00 GB 32-bit
Model: VGN-FE880E

Problems:
1) Power issues -- side jack feels a little loose. Seems to be getting worse and now not charging battery. Monitor brightness is inconsistent. Sometimes just touching the cord to the side jack lightly affects the power.
2) Thin red line down on monitor down the left side.
3) Some keyboard issues with certain keys.
4) Started getting blue screen shut-down.

When I tried to turn on computer a few days ago, it was completely dead. The only lights that came on were next to the power button. The 3 lights blinked but the computer never started.

So I replaced the battery with a new battery that I never used but had in my desk for a couple years. It worked for a few days, the battery was charging, but now I have the same situation with the power. It wouldn't turn on today. I finally kept holding down power button and some of the lights under the mouse pad blink.

I got it to turn on, but the battery is 0% and won't charge. It's showing as plugged in but not charging. If I move anything even just a little, it shuts down.

Anyway ideas? I feel that it's something with the side jack but the red line down the monitor makes it seem like something else.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio laptop problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio laptop problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm unclear on item 1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

Since you know it's loose, why didn't you fix that?

Collapse -
Re
by wrtsocal / August 23, 2012 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm unclear on item 1.

Because after researching it, it appeared to be a non-issue since it still held the plug as normal. From what I read, it would be one of those optional things to fix unless it didn't hold the plug properly.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Second issue. Battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

Given we're well past the battery's expected age, are you sure it's not installed? Leaving old batteries in, can at times cause overheating issues as well as frying the motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
Re
by wrtsocal / August 23, 2012 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Second issue. Battery.

Am I sure what's not installed? I replaced the original battery with a new one a few days ago. It doesn't appear to be battery-related since it still did it with a new battery.

If the computer is completely still, it works. If I were to move it right now, it would die. And then it would take a few tried to turn on again.

Collapse -
Given that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re
Collapse -
Re
by wrtsocal / August 23, 2012 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Given that

How do you calibrate the battery? I searched in Help but it didn't give any info on that.

If the mainboard was fried, would I be able to use it like I am right now?

I took it apart just now. It wasn't dirty. The fan didn't have any junk on it. I use canned air a lot so I don't think it being dirty is an issue.

I'm curious about the red line on the monitor and if that could be a hint about what the problem is. Also, the jack on the side being very sensitive to touch, what could that mean? It's working perfect as long as I keep it very still. If I just touch the jack, it dies.

Have anyone had this happen?

Collapse -
Re
by wrtsocal / August 23, 2012 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Given that

I just googled calibrating....My battery is at Zero. It won't charge. That's the problem.

Collapse -
Good finding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 3:56 AM PDT

Sorry but my quick search didn't find a manual. Since you own the machine you would either have it or have a better idea where to look.

ABOUT your question about the fried parts on the motherboard. If the charging circuit was fried from having an old battery in there, it does not mean the laptop could not function without it.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re
by wrtsocal / August 24, 2012 11:08 AM PDT

I heard from Sony. I thought I would post their reply in case anyone else is having similar problems.

From Sony:

Lets take your issues one at a time.

1) Power- is the problem the DC Jack (inside) or the AC adapter ( the power plug)
to triage this, remove your battery, and with the AC adapter unplugged from the wall outlet ( very important) remove and plug in the tip. Do you feel it click in place? if you do not feel the click, and it feels loose, likely the jack is bad and must be replaced. we highly recommend you discontinue use till the dc jack can be replaced.

2) Monitor/ if you see a red line, if you move the LCD back and forth, does the line move? If you were to boot your laptop into BIOS do you see the red line there also? as for the brightness, this is controlled by power settings, and is related to your dc jack problem. ( on battery power the screen dims to save battery life)

If the red line appears in BIOS and does not move regardless of screen position, the LCD panel itself likely will require replacement.

if the line moves around the issue is likely the LCD harness cable.

3) if its a specific key, do you have the same problem with a USB keyboard? how about the Onscreen Keyboard? if the problem is just a few keys near each other, the keyboard may need to be replaced

4) as for your BSOD errors, if your system turns on and off without proper shut down, this would explain the BSOD errors. files can become corrupted if windows regularly shuts off without properly powering down.

in a nutshell, worse case scenario LCD - DC jack- keyboard replacement
best case scenario - DC jack- keyboard only, ( lcd harness loose)

Collapse -
Re
by wrtsocal / August 24, 2012 11:13 AM PDT

Not sure what to make of it, but I'm not worried about the blue screen anymore because I did have a lot of improper shut downs so that was probably why I started getting those.

And a separate keyboard works fine plugged into the USB, so I'm guessing that means I need a new laptop keyboard.

The red line doesn't move. So I guess that means a whole new LCD.

As far as the jack, it does "click" in securely. Yet it's very sensitive to touch and shuts the computer off when I move it even a little.

I'm not sure if these things are something I could do on my own. I can do something like remove and replace a fan, but not sure about these other things.

Collapse -
Google this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

LAPTOP JACK REPAIR.

It's a common issue and performed a lot. I'm unsure why there is any hesitation to replace a bad jack.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.