Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Sony Vaio Computer Crash watching videos

by emproblem / February 24, 2013 10:58 AM PST

Everytime I watch a video, whether it is on IE or Chrome, my computer freezes for about 4 minutes, and then resumes, but will keep freezing when I continue to watch a video. I have plenty of free space on my computer (183 free GB). It isn't a RAM issue either I don't believe. Can anyone help me? I have searched a ton of forums but can't find an answer. Didn't always be like this, started about a month ago.

Sony Vaio Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM)i3 CPU M 350 @2.27GHz
4.00 GB RAM (3.86 usable)
64-bit Operating System

emproblem has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio Computer Crash watching videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio Computer Crash watching videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by emproblem

Collapse -
Start with the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 11:02 AM PST

Google this and change the setting.

-> Disable FLASH hardware acceleration.

Sorry but it's a common issue and folk don't seem interested in why this is.

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Computer Crash watching videos
by emproblem / February 24, 2013 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Start with the usual.

I disabled it, we will find out soon enough if that helps. What is the purpose of the flash hardware acceleration and what does disabling it do?

Collapse -
There are ways to find that out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 11:14 AM PST

Not long ago it was off, Adobe turned it on and well, you tell me more?

Collapse -
Didn't Work
by emproblem / February 24, 2013 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Start with the usual.

Played a video and it still froze and then unfroze after a few minutes

Collapse -
Then think back to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't Work

The freeze and unfreeze could be normal. As the buffer fills it plays. Buffer gets too empty, stops, fills and starts again.

Nothing wrong going on there. Try other wifi spots.

Collapse -
not normal
by emproblem / February 24, 2013 7:58 PM PST

It isn't a buffer freeze, while comp freezes. Even does it when skyping too, watching any video. Isn't a buffering issue

Collapse -
Your story is changing from the first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: not normal

So now you see why diagnosis is not going your way or folk won't discuss it with you. Even I feel I should walk away since you lead with one symptom that is pretty well known and now it's not that.

Since details are pretty slim, it's either some software issue of which there are over a thousand causes but for that, if the owner does not know their PC you have them reload the OS and if the problem continues then it's the hardware and you get that fixed.

Wish I had better news but given the clues and the changing symptoms I can see why no one helps.

Collapse -
by emproblem / February 25, 2013 1:15 AM PST

Story isn't changing, you're just an idiot. No need to be a ******* about it, thanks for nothing don't quit your day job *****.

Collapse -
And there it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

If you could work with others on the issue you might find something. But flaming out like this is why others run away rather than try to help.

I see you don't see how the symptom changed and I'm OK with that but until there are more clues I fear the answer is to reload then test for the issue. If the issue is still there then the machine needs repairs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.