Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sony VAIO Complete System Recovery

by MrsDinoDoug / August 26, 2006 3:03 PM PDT

Only 3 days ago I posted a similar question to help my brother do a complete system recovery on a DELL computer - I received exceptional help, guidance and instruction from a knowledgeable and patient responder/member of CNET Forums - the information given was delivered in a very elementary manner for my elementary mindset to understand which led to success

I am here this time to seek the same guidance for my son who has a Sony VAIO PVC-RZ22G with XP - he is attending his 1st year at school and is experiencing 1 problem after another and would like to do a Complete System Recovery, also - he lacks funds for a new computer and the money is equally as tight to bear the expense from services like the GEEK squad

The discs with his computer are as follows:

1. Color Computer Display
2. System Recovery #1 thru 3
3. Application Recovery #1thru 3
4. Click to DVD Recovery CD

Can anyone give me the rudiments for helping my son with this task - he lives in El Paso, I live in Indianapolis - I will be helping him via telephone - please advise

Respectfully
MrsDD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony VAIO Complete System Recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony VAIO Complete System Recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a couple of Sony VAIOs myself
by shahedc / August 26, 2006 3:33 PM PDT

I suggest you use the built in recovery sustem by Sony. Follow: Control panel>vaio recovery wizard, and follow the onscreen instructions provided by the recovery management tool. This will reinstall Windows to factory defaults. If this option isnt available, boot from System Recovery #1 (insert cd and restart).The recovery process should start automatically upon restart. Aagin, just follow the onscreen instructions provided by the recovery management tool.

Collapse -
by MrsDinoDoug / August 26, 2006 5:17 PM PDT

Thank you for the speedy reply - I will forward your response to him and get with him via telephone - I will give you an update when task is completed - thank you for your interest

Respectfully
MrsDD

Collapse -
PCV-RZ22G System Restore
by linkit / August 26, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

PCV-RZ22G FAQ/Solutions page:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-faq.pl?mdl=PCVRZ22G

Enter ''C174783'' (without quotes) in the Solutions ID box (the smaller box). Be patient, it sometimes takes a while to load.

It is very important to backup ALL important personal files to CD/DVD or other disks before performing the System Restore. He may have to boot into Safe Mode or have a friend create a Knoppix CD to access those personal files for backup.

If he is like other typical college students, tell him that he must not use Limewire, Kazaa!, or other P2P programs if he doesn't want this to happen again. They are ivitations to viruses/spyware/malware. They all complain and state anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but there are too many instances of such P2P problems in computer help forums and repair shops to claim otherwise.

Collapse -
by MrsDinoDoug / August 26, 2006 5:25 PM PDT

I will forward your response to my son - thank you for you speedy reply - I am paying close attention to your mention of the different P2P downloads - I will discuss with him the seriousness of visiting and using such programs - your mention of LimeWire gives me pause - I believe I saw that on his computer when I visited this past spring - thank you for noting such issues - I will give you an update as to our success in the recovery process - thank you for this wise information

Respectfully
MrsDD

Collapse -
vaios recovery cd error
by DORIDORI4AG / February 27, 2008 2:42 PM PST

vaios pcg-grt170 is my model and it runs on window xp
home edition version 2002 service pack 2

when I run the recovery start up cd it starts up fine on cd 1 of 3 I get error.

diskpart.exe
diskpart.exe is not a valid win32 application

How can I fix this thank you.

Collapse -
MsDinoDoug
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 8:04 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.