Sony forum

Question

Sony TV - wireless keyboard and mouse

by knkk123 / October 22, 2012 8:17 PM PDT

I'm contemplating purchasing a Sony 40" TV, perhaps 40ex650.

I'd like to know:

1. Can I take any wireless keyboard and mouse (e. g. Logitech, Microsoft) and get it to work with the TV? I have a computer at home that has a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I'd like to use those with the TV to browse the Internet.

2. Can I resize the screen to whatever size I want? What about when using the Internet?

3. Does the WiFi dongle use up one USB port?

4. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Android 4). Can I use it in any way with the TV? As in, render what is on the tab onto the TV screen, while sitting about 12 feet away?

5. I saw this product: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWAVKIT2/. It helps convert a TV into a computer monitor. Will I be able to use that product with the Sony TV?

6. What popular format of files will the TV be unable to play (e. g. .mkv)?

7. Related to above - if an external DVD player is able to play the formats, will they render onto the TV?

I know that's a long list of queries, and I'd be grateful if someone took time off to let me know. Thank you so much for your time!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony TV - wireless keyboard and mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony TV - wireless keyboard and mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My keyboard-mouse
by knkk123 / October 22, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
When makers and sellers do not answer questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 2:58 AM PDT

Why do you buy from them?

But about item 3. Yes.

About item 6. MKV is not a format of video. It's a "container" and does not enforce or restrict what video encoding you can put into that file. Therefore it's never assured the file will play anywhere. PCs have tricks to get more decoders but these Smart TVs are subject to well, do we need to write about this again?

So on item 6. Don't count on it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by knkk123 / October 24, 2012 2:27 PM PDT

Thank you, Bob. Yes, I was surprised no one from Sony answered anything, especially given that their TVs are the most expensive. I was waiting for a reply. The Samsung forums on CNET have instant replies from their own staff.

Collapse -
I don't own this model but can use my encounters w/ SmartTVs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2012 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

1. Can I take any wireless keyboard and mouse (e. g. Logitech, Microsoft) and get it to work with the TV? I have a computer at home that has a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I'd like to use those with the TV to browse the Internet.

That's multiple questions. Many of the units work but makers are loath to tell you which one for many reasons. I can't tell if you know why but it's so they don't show favoritism and don't want to be beat up if one that did work before doesn't anymore.

-> This is why I think using generic USB keyboards has backfired on the makers and they should have their own product for those folk that won't try the usual USB keyboard and mouse.

As to the browse the Internet. Here I've yet to see Hulu.com work along with a lot of other sites so you can only expect less than what you can get on your PC.

-> Point? Folk are expecting the PC Web experience and Smart TVs fall quite short.

2. Can I resize the screen to whatever size I want? What about when using the Internet?

I think you are thinking it's like Windows. But no. There is no Windows features or tabs on the browser as I've seen it.

3. Does the WiFi dongle use up one USB port?

Yes.

4. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Android 4). Can I use it in any way with the TV? As in, render what is on the tab onto the TV screen, while sitting about 12 feet away?

Yes (with the usual 12 foot HDMI cable.)

5. I saw this product: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWAVKIT2/. It helps convert a TV into a computer monitor. Will I be able to use that product with the Sony TV?

Should be fine. I find most folk are upset over lag issues in GAMES or video so be sure to know the product limitations. For most web, email, office work, it's OK but only 720p.

6. What popular format of files will the TV be unable to play (e. g. .mkv)?

That should be in the product manual but you should discover quickly it's a single digit percentage point of what folk play on their PC. Again, these are not PCs.

7. Related to above - if an external DVD player is able to play the formats, will they render onto the TV?

Same issue and more. MPEG2 and many other encodings are copyrighted and more. So not all will play. There are folk new to this and are oblivious to the encoding minefield of patents and copyrights. On the PC there were ways around that as you can install something like VLC PLAYER which is written in a country that does not recognize those patents. This may have contributed to why folk are not aware why a TV maker can't include all those decoders.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.