Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony, Toshiba or Dell?

by johnnyq0311 / March 1, 2007 3:59 PM PST

I'm torn between these 3 brands, Sony, Toshiba, or a Dell. I want to buy a laptop that's under $1,500 but i don't know what brand is better. My primary use is going to be for movies, music, downloading pictures, and Internet. Does anybody recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony, Toshiba or Dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony, Toshiba or Dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony, definately
by StargateFan / March 1, 2007 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Sony, Toshiba or Dell?

On the expensive side, but a faboulous machine. Extremely high end, great features, looks good and very portable. I have the TX series, I love it really great machine. Good Luck

Collapse -
It's all good (with qualifications)
by Igiveup2 / March 2, 2007 3:31 AM PST

I eventually selected a Toshiba in that price range for value/$, quality. Nice to use, versatile, no problems so far.

Dell might be good in that range, but avoid their low end components such as the 1390 wireless card.

Never saw anything to distinguish Sony quality-wise that would justify the extra $.

Why not HP? Superior media features and well regarded quality.

It helps to play with display units and sort out the features that make a difference to you personally.

Collapse -
Laptops:
by Stabbing_The_Drama / March 2, 2007 8:10 AM PST

Apple. Happy

Collapse -
Required reading.......
by Igiveup2 / March 2, 2007 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: Laptops:
Collapse -
He didn't ask about Apple
by Krahe / March 17, 2007 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptops:

Apple sucks anyway. Silly

Collapse -
Re: He didn't ask about Apple.
by Krahe / March 17, 2007 4:39 AM PDT

Get a VAIO if care about stylishness in your notebook.

Collapse -
Apples are not that bad.
by Cyborganizer / March 17, 2007 12:39 PM PDT

I am a Dell customer, but I know many happy Apple customers. They have their advantages and disadvantages.

Collapse -
True...
by Krahe / March 18, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

I loved my mac as long as I had it. But 4 logic board failures put a very bad taste in my mouth.

Collapse -
You are a dell user?
by danakabuter / August 19, 2007 10:04 PM PDT

But you are a dell user. Tell user about your experience

Collapse -
Re: Sony, Toshiba or Dell?
by MarthesThartes / March 9, 2007 4:17 PM PST
Collapse -
Sony or Dell
by Powerslave15 / March 11, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Do yourself a HUGE favour and stay away from Toshiba. Their costomer service is garbage. Toshiba Satellite A70 laptops, a75 and 1 other one which I cannot remember the name of, have many issues. First off, the clog up with dust fast and overheat, meaning taking it apart and cleaning out the heatsink will be something you will have to do every few months. But I suppose sometimes you have to do that with every laptop/computer. Some of them suffer from an issue with static electricity that when you touch the speaker grills, the touch pad or the buttons, the laptop will freeze and reboot. That problem happens frequently in those models. Another problem occurs with the DC in power jack (which I am currently suffering from) where one of the solder joints on the system board comes loose, and you need to take apart the laptop and re-solder it. Since Toshiba is in it all for the money, once the warranty is up, they figure its your own problem. Even though so many toshiba users are having the same problem, they still wont awknowledge that its an engineering problem, and half the time you send it in for work while its still under warranty, they change the system board and hard drive, send you back the laptop and tell you its fixed, and you will still have the same problem. BOYCOTT TOSHIBA!

Collapse -
??
by Igiveup2 / March 11, 2007 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony or Dell

Why would they change the HDD to fix a loose power jack?

Collapse -
Exactly
by Powerslave15 / March 12, 2007 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

Exactly my point.. Toshiba is a joke.

Collapse -
RE: Exactly
by Igiveup2 / March 12, 2007 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Exactly

So THAT explains what my keyboard is doing in the middle of my screen!

Collapse -
by Powerslave15 / March 13, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Exactly

Hey, make jokes all you want. My opinion isnt going to change of this company because their customer service is garbage.. and so is their credibility as far as im concerned. dont believe me? search on the net for toshiba a70 or a75 problems.. look at all the people experiencing problems... yet toshiba wont take the blame for their own mistakes in these machines. People are filing law suits.. so maybe you should do your research before you comment.

Collapse -
I did, very carefully,.....
by Igiveup2 / March 13, 2007 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: ,,

..with a little help from this and other forums. I sought all information I could on the reliability of Toshiba, HP, Sony, and Dell.

The problems you describe are on models that used the Pentium 4 processor. That processor generates enough heat to cook your HDD, motherboard, and maybe your breakfast. Hot running machines die young. Other Toshiba laptops have not had these problems.

The lawsuit you referred to was settled November 7. Original owners of Satellite A70, A75, M30 and M35 units are entitled to a warranty extension to November, 2008. More details are available at http://www.a70m30xsettlement.com/

"get the machine to a PASP and get the motherboard, top cover and AC adapter replaced free of charge befor november. The new mobos have solid epoxy around the power jacks and fix the problem" (from a WUGNET forum). If you're not eligible for the coverage, the epoxy could be a DIY fix. Good luck.

I eventually swallowed my paranoia and got the Satellite A135-4487. I'm glad I did.

Collapse -
Full system recall maybe?
by Powerslave15 / March 14, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

I took my laptop to a toshiba certified repair center yesterday, and they said that the warranty had expired. they also told me a new Board to replace my fried one would cost me between $500 and $700.. thats before installation. I wouldnt pay for the installation because Ive taken that laptop apart before.. which the techs for some reasons seemed surprised that I was able to do that. But they still told me its better to get a new laptop instead of replacing the board. But thats still besides my arguement. Toshiba knows they are having a problem with these machines, there SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FULL RECALL. They are DEFECTIVE. What happens when the warranty extension runs out for all those users who are having these problems every 6-12 months? Toshiba says too bad, pay for it yourself. Toshiba is a joke.

Collapse -
Also,
by Powerslave15 / March 14, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

One would expect to get a decent machine after paying the cost of an A70.. they were expensive laptops at the time.

Collapse -
(NT) So you're not eligible under the terms of the settlement?
by Igiveup2 / March 14, 2007 4:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not according to...
by Powerslave15 / March 15, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

Not according to the Toshiba Tech I just visited last week.

Collapse -
(NT) The reason?
by Igiveup2 / March 15, 2007 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Not according to...
Collapse -
Cuz..
by Powerslave15 / March 15, 2007 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: The reason?

The issues im having dont relate to the static discharge causing machine lock up.

Collapse -
Check the link in post #12
by Igiveup2 / March 15, 2007 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Cuz..

I don't recall seeing that as a restriction on the extension. Be sure.

Collapse -
Laptop magazine ranked the major
by orlbuckeye / May 4, 2007 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: ,,

companies for support Apple was selected as the best with Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Sony, Gateway close to the top. Acer was average but Toshiba had a D- ranking. Ouch

Collapse -
Sony, Dell.............or Toshiba?
by claudio29751 / March 16, 2007 8:53 PM PDT

Powerslave15 is right!....... STAY AWAY FROM Toshiba!!
.....I lost the CDs of my SATELLITE 2085-S402 purchased
in USA....so here in Italy I cannot get any HELP!to have
a copy of them,they told me to contact Toshiba USA.I did
with no result!a friend of mine living in the States called
at Irvine customer-service offices...Sorry! they say the
model is too old(2001) we cannot help!what a shame for a big
company!!! having a lot of problems with it(no audio,etc,etc)
I cannot use+restore as it was coming out of the factory....
So I do myself a favor!!! I stay off the Toshiba for good.
I do the same to them......I BOYCOTT their products!Claudio T.

Collapse -
Laptop Problems
by daym115 / March 16, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

I too have had problems with Toshiba customer service, and thier laptops. When it was time to replace laptops, bought 15 from HP. If you think Toshiba laptops and customer service are bad, you aint seen nothing yet!HP makes Toshiba look like heaven

Collapse -
Laptops PROBLEMS !!!!!!!
by claudio29751 / March 17, 2007 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Problems

Yes! daym115. but my problem is that I live in Italy and the Pc has been
bought in the USA(big mistake!)so this model(Satellite 2805-S402)isn't
available in all Europe....and to me is already a HELL!!
I have to search on the ebay(Usa) looking for someone selling the same computer and ask if gently can I have a copy of the CDs(restore,recovery,reconfiguration)...and this has going on for more than one year now....even try with my Skype contact: claudio29751
I contacted quite a few Toshiba repair-center ..and you know what they all say? We cannot make a copy(because of copy-write legislation)
bring the machine to us and will be restored as it was from factory.Can
you imagine that!!it cost more to send than fix it....Ciao all Claudio T.

Collapse -
Couldn't disagree with you more
by jatos / March 17, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

At current, I have 4 Toshiba's, one of which I am using at the moment. In my exp they are the best laptops around, and I have two Toshiba laptops before that. I very talented at breaking computers, yet Toshibas's seem to survive my use of them for a long time!

Dell is really the one you least touch. Wanna know why? Put into Google: "dell japan fire conference", or "dell battery recalls" or even "dell power adaptor recalls". Just to top it all off? Google "dell customer support". I very much doubt whether you will even touch Dell after seeing the results. I might add, I believe Dell batteries have been subject to at least three major recalls, 2 to my certain knowledge. I do not understand why so many people like Dell. They really are the worst make of the lot.

With Toshiba, My experience has been that customer support is excellent. I might add is operated from Japanese, not poorly trained staff from India! There is one model I know that is rather Ghastly, but that is only ONE model. On the whole they are REALLY built to last. I have yet to here off any incidents with overheating batteries/power adaptors on Toshibas.

As for the Sonys, from what I know they are from what I know good, but I have never used one myself. I have heard though, that are largely formed of Toshiba parts. Though I have verified this myself.

Hope this helps: Jamie

Collapse -
I forgot to say..
by jatos / March 17, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

I also might add, reading some others posts, you probably find the more expensive (of any make) will be better, particuarly with Toshiba. They will have almost put more effort into designing the more expensive ones.

Collapse -
The issues..
by Powerslave15 / March 19, 2007 2:52 AM PDT

The issues here arent really whether or not you like toshiba laptops. Im not saying all models of toshiba laptops are bad. What I AM SAYING.. for anyone whos missed it and keeps talking about how great toshibas are... THEY MADE A FAULTY PRODUCT AND WOULD NOT RECALL THE SYSTEMS. The satellite a70's were nearly 2000$ here, and for a product that costs that much money, youd think the company, toshiba, being as big as they are would say "hey we realized weve made a mistake, send us your a70 or a75 and we'll give you a new laptop, or a full refund. When they say "these problems dont exist" or "we'll extend the warranty" all that shows is that they are just in it for the money, and dont care about their customers. Its a shame really that you people(not all of you) cant see that. Therefore, Toshiba customer service is a joke, they have no credibility as a company, and I will personally never buy a toshiba product again. End of story.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.