TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

SONY SXRD KDS-50A3000 Screen turned Green need help!

by shamrockedu / December 28, 2008 6:40 AM PST

I have the SONY SXRD KDS-50A3000 and I have been really happy with the TV up until today. I was watching TV and the screen turned totally green. I was able to turn the channels and hear the audio feed, but I could not see what was playing. I have had the TV for about a year and 3 months and don't have the extended warranty. Does anybody know what it could be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SONY SXRD KDS-50A3000 Screen turned Green need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SONY SXRD KDS-50A3000 Screen turned Green need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by givemeaname / December 28, 2008 7:50 AM PST

Unpluging the cables
Try a new cable
Unplug the tv for a few mins
Try the cables on a diffrent port

Is this happening on all ports???
What is hooked up to the ports that this is happening to??? Like DVR, DVD, BD player ect
Is the tv hooked up too a surge protector?

Collapse -
Yes, and in addition...
by Dan Filice / December 29, 2008 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Try

What kind of connection(s) are you using? Are you using HDMI or component conncections? If component, I'd suspect that one of the 3 color connections is loose. You didn't give much information for anyone to help.

Collapse -
Unplugging the TV cleared it up immediately
by suesloan995 / July 1, 2012 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Try

Somehow our TV screen turned totally green, with audio ok. We could not even display the Menu! Turning it off seems to have reset it and it works now. It is a 70-in Sony rear projection LCD TV that is several years old.

Collapse -
SONY SXRD KDS-50A3000 Screen turned Green need help!
by elapid / December 30, 2008 5:04 AM PST

This is a well known problem with Sony KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 TVs. There is a defect in the optical block resulting in the screen turning either yellow or green. I am not sure if it is the same for your model. Currently, there is a class action in the USA against Sony for this problem. Sony has also offered a limited extended warranty until 30th June 2009 to repair this defect (see http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDSR60XBR1&news_id=185).

Hope this helps and good luck with your TV.

Collapse -
that is diffrent then
by givemeaname / December 30, 2008 5:25 AM PST

what shamrockedu is describing.. the Green Blob issues makes a green or yellow-ish tint on the screen or most common is a Blob (green or yellow-ish tinted spot) on the screen, you still get an image, the color is just distorted... I have a 2" green blob on my SXRD, I only see it when the screen is black & the room is dark.

Sony extend the warranty on the optical block on the A2000 & XBR2 to 2010 + I got the EW so I am covered until 2012, just waiting for spring to have my tv fixed.

The only time any of my TV's (CRT, LCD & SXRD) screen goes all green (sometimes purple) is when my DVR is starting to go or gets over heated in the summer time.

Collapse -
Good luck dealing with Sony - I mean that....
by Diskoboy / August 16, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

While Sony won't admit it - the optical blocks in the kds-xxa3000 models are just as problematic as their predecessors.

I bought mine in Jan. 08. About 10 months later, I noticed little green splotches on the top left corner of the screen. Then, I noticed the ENTIRE picture had a sight tint of green to it. About a month later, the picture would ocassionally turn completely white - you could still hear sound, but there was no pcture. After a few seconds, the white screen slowly began to turn a deep, solid, green.

My first optical block replacemet was in Jan. '09. It is now the middle of August, and I'm about to get it replaced again, for the EIGHTH time since January.

Sony still refuses to excange my TV for a different model.

This is a picture of when my last OB failed - the screen is SUPPOSED to be solid white:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/diskoboy1974/DSC_0001.jpg

Collapse -
O_o wow that is bad
by givemeaname / August 16, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

I still have not gotten around to fix mine, it is no where near that bad... I got a warranty that covers it until 2012. Sony should offers us a LCD tv at cost for the troubles, they offered that to owners of the E line's and people where able to get a 40" (1080p) mid line LCD for $350.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.