TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony Sony tvs vs. Costco Sony tvs

by desertsunangell / December 2, 2007 4:20 AM PST

Sunday, December 2, 2007

I am looking to buy a new HD tv. We've looked at Sears and Costco. At Sears we had the opportunity to talk with a Sony rep but it was too early in our search and I think some of the tech stuff went over my head. I remember him saying something about motion stuff and I think it's the new MotionFlow (TM) technology which looks really good when you are watching football! (and we like to watch football!) I really liked the Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4. CNET editors seem to like it too. It's quite costly though. Probably worth it but hard to swallow the 3300.00 (approx) price.

At Costco they have a Sony KDL-46VL130 for 1999.99. I know it does not have the MotionFlow (TM) technology but some of the other features look close. I've printed out spec information for the KDL46XBR4 and the KDL-46W3000 and wrote in the information off the Costco web site on the KDL-46VL130. Side by side they look "ok" and the lower Costco price is...well...very appealing.

Does anyone out there know what Costco's model number translates in Sony language? I know Costco has their own models made for them by Sony. Also, is the Sony Bravia KDL-46VL130 at Costco a new model or last year's revamped model that Costco bought? Also, what is the difference in these models and is it worth the extra bucks to buy the KDL-46XBR4 over the Costco KDL-46VL130? Costco's warranty is very nice and the tech support is appealing. If you buy elsewhere the "extended warranty" costs too much and after reading Lee Koo's question and forum answers on that, I've decided it's probably not worth it anyway.

I'd appreciate any input that anyone has. We are going to buy a new TV for our Christmas present and I value CNET's forum as pretty good information and advice!!!!!

Robin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Sony tvs vs. Costco Sony tvs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Sony tvs vs. Costco Sony tvs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / December 2, 2007 4:40 AM PST

Sony KDL-46VL130 = sony KDL-46W3000

Collapse -
sony sony vs costco sony
by desertsunangell / December 2, 2007 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: .....

Thank you "givemeaname". I knew someone out here would know how to translate the models!!!

Collapse -
Sony KDL-46VL130=Sony KDL-46W3000
by nordicgod55 / January 25, 2008 3:18 AM PST

The sony KDL-46VL130 is the same as the KDL-46V3000. The W3000 has a dynamic contrast ratio of 16,000:1, on screen ratio of 2,000:1 and 3 HDMI imputs. The V3000 has a contrast ratio of 13,000:1, on screen ratio of 1,800:1 and 2 HDMI imputs.

Collapse -
Calibrated setting for the Sony KDL-46VL130
by nordicgod55 / January 25, 2008 4:19 AM PST

I just purchased the Sony KDL-46VL130 and like watching the TV on the vivid mode. Does anyone have the calibrated settings for this TV or the KDL-46V300 in the vivid mode? If so, could you please pass along what you have your setting at. Thanks

Collapse -
MotionFlow
by Dan Filice / December 2, 2007 6:09 AM PST

From what I gather, the MotionFlow 1080p/24 input for the Sony's ONLY applies to the same 1080p/24 output from a device such as BluRay or HD DVD and NOT watching sports on regular broadcast channels, even on the HD channels. First off, "sports" is videotaped not shot on film, and even though HD video can be shot at 24fps, what we see on broadcast is typically shot at 30fps (technically 29.9). Second, this input is really meant for 1080p source material (shot on film), and HD broadcast channels do not air 1080p, only 720p or 1080i.

Collapse -
KDL-46LV130/KDL-46W3000
by desertsunangell / December 2, 2007 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: MotionFlow

It sounds like that this TV will be just fine then for the price!

Collapse -
I AGREE; AND IT"S VERY GOOD DEAL FROM COSTCO!
by Riverledge / December 2, 2007 6:28 AM PST

I'VE SEEN THE KDL-46W3000 and it looks excellent.

Happy shopping & holidays,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
The motion flow...
by stuntman_mike / December 3, 2007 1:31 AM PST

on the XBR4 refers to the 120 fps, not the 24fps that you see on BD players.

The motion flow of the XBR4 and the Samsung 71F, doubles the number of frames in a traditional broadcast from 60, and increases the number of frames in film based content from 24 to 120. What that does is eliminate judder in film based material and provide a picture with exceptionally smooth motion making film look more like a video, or to give you a better mental image, more like a soap opera or live broadcast (or play).

The effects of 120hz is clearly visible (although much more so on the Samsung 71F then the Sony XBR4) whereas the benefits of 24fps have not been proven at least in the first iterations of the technology as every professional review that I have seen has said that there is no perceived difference in using 24fps as opposed to 60.

Collapse -
120Hz
by Dan Filice / December 3, 2007 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: The motion flow...

Stuntman_mike, Yep, you are correct. I've read that the 120Hz eliminates the need for 3:2 pulldown on film-based material, which eliminates the jutter you mention. BUT, the important thing is what you mentioned about this function being beneficial on film-based product. It seems a lot of people are being led to believe that this function will help regular broadcast material, which, from what I've read, it doesn't.

Collapse -
Need some help please!
by shortcutmary / December 11, 2007 1:53 AM PST

My neighbor is having such a tough time w/Sony. This is her second TV in the last 7 mos. She now has a XBR4 40". When she watches the TV the mouth moves one way while the forehead moves another. She has had Time Warner out 7 times, inc rewiring the house. There is also a clicking sound on the TV.

She is a senior citizen and everyone looks @ her like she is crazy.
Thank You so much for any help you may offer!

Collapse -
this model is not the same as the 46w3000
by gabereyes / December 2, 2007 1:32 PM PST

it is be more like an 46v3000, they have the same contrast ratio, resolution, and inputs, but the vl130 doesnt seem to have HDMI/bravia control, that will let you control a sony sound system and DVD player with the TV remote.

the 46v3000 is the same price at bb as the 46vl130, I would go with the 46v3000 it shows more info on it.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
46V3000 at Best Buy
by Dan Filice / December 3, 2007 2:29 AM PST

In this past Sunday's Best Buy newspaper insert, Best Buy listed the Sony 46V3000 as having MotionFlow, but it didn't specifically mention 120Hz like the ads do for the XBR4. I thought MotionFlow was a function of the 120Hz function. Now I'm confused. And, isn't this the same TV as the Costco model (just model number tweaked a little)?

Collapse -
not always model numbers
by gabereyes / December 3, 2007 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: 46V3000 at Best Buy

in most cases the costco model aka club models are missing some features and inputs to keep price down on there model.

but it usually very hard to find out, sense the model doesnt show up the companys web page, people want to think sams and costco have better prices, and they do on bulk items, but on TV's your not buying bulk and they dont buy them in bulk.

I find it very hard to believe the sony or any TV Co. would give sams or costco a better price then BB and/or CC, I do understand they make money off your membership, but that doesnt make up profit lost on saving you hundreds on one buy.

to me club models are a very dirty way to sell TV's, they usually leave out options and features, and in some cases dont have the same picture quality as the normal models.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
120hz
by gabereyes / December 3, 2007 3:19 AM PST

I dont think the 46v3000 or the 46vl has 120hz and motion flow, sounds like a type O , I would only go off of sony web and cnet for stats and options.

Collapse -
Keeping an eye on this, but holding out hope on 46W4100.
by 8IronBob / March 30, 2008 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: 120hz

The 46W3000 does look like it should be worthy to own, and I do have thoughts about picking that up, but now that we're getting close to the release of, I believe the W4100 series of Bravias, I'm going to hold out hope that we may see that pan out as being the better one to own at the end of the day. Anyone confirm any information on the W4100 series yet...as in release date or MSRP?

Collapse -
Re: Costco discount TV Models
by systemBuilder / December 15, 2007 5:06 PM PST

I think you might be wrong; Costco might indeed be able to get a better price by having their own models. First, let me state that makers like Vizio will design a TV, then hire out a factory in asia to build 100,000 units or whatever, then try to get them distributed and sold in north america. This is very much like what Packard Bell used to do with computers (and using a VERY FLAKEY ~12-month $5M bank loan) in Sacramento California.)

I looked into buying a bargain-priced Sharp Aquos 46" TV from Costco ($1599). The model number is : 46D64U (sharp name), 46C60 (costco name). In fact, the costco model fixed a problem with the sound that many people had been complaining about on the net, but placing the speakers on the front the TV, and used a silver bezel rather than a black one (sharp model had down-firing speakers.) Other than that, the TVs were identical.

Anyway, Costco can order 100,000 of these TVs from sharp, get a few design tweaks, and then (a) They don't have to price-match, (b) They are supported by the existing parts stash for the 64U models, (c) Costco does all the marketing and salesforce education so Sharp just plays the role of an OEM, and (d) Its a proven design, reliable, and perhaps near end-of-life, so that factory late in the life of the product which yields absolutely the cheapest manufacturing prices. Plus, sharp knows that there will be exactly 100,000 units made and that's it, and they can probably optimize costs for this situation.

Collapse -
costco sony model
by desertsunangell / December 3, 2007 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: 46V3000 at Best Buy

Dan...from the research I did on the Sony web site; and I printed out a comparison report; the KDL-46V3000 does not have MotionFlow 120Hz listed an option. The only two models with the MotionFlow are the KDL-46XBR4 and the KDL-46XBR5, according to the Sony web site. So I don't know what Best Buy is up to. And I'm not sure I trust buying something from them.

In the CNET newsletter and a question from Lee Koo to the readers; getting an extended warranty was the topic. One of the replies to the thread really slammed Best Buy because of their sales tactics. The other replies to the thread seemed to say buy at Costco.

I do know that Costco has a 90-day full warranty (and things usually happen right away with connections, soldering etc) and a 2-year Concierge warranty through the manufacturer where you call Costco and they get you in touch with the manufacturer to fix the problem. Costco seems to stand behind their products more than any other store I've dealt with.

Gabe---you seem to have a real problem with Costco and their model. Do you have any reason why? Do you work at Best Buy? So far none of your information has had any evidence, proof or backing; it seems as it's your own personal opinion, i.e. "i find it very hard to believe" or "i don't think" doesn't give me much to go on. If you had some concrete information...well it would be more plausable then personal thoughts.

I don't have a problem with buying from Costco on a model made for them. I think the $1500 price difference from the Costco model KDL46LV130 ($1999) to the KDL-46XBR4 ($3499, $3299 at Sears) warrants looking at Costco and their really nice 2-year warranty package for no extra money over the extra warranty costs (which proven in another thread are not needed) that go upward as much as $400. I'm sure we'll be just as happy with the model at Costco and we won't really see the difference in the picture. I don't think our eyes are that discerning or we are so uppity that we need to say we bought "the best" tv money can buy. We'll save a bunch and get better service at Costco I believe.

I'm sold on Costco and their model. It's a beautiful picture and I think we'll be quite happy! It's also the service after the sale that has us sold on Costco. Not many businesses value that anymore.

Robin

Collapse -
VERY GOOD POINT, DOES ANYONE KNOW "THE BEST TV" TO BUY.....
by Riverledge / December 3, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: costco sony model

OF COURSE NOT!!!
WHO IS TO SAY WHICH HDTV IS THE BEST FOR YOU!

ONLY YOU (THE BUYER) KNOWS BEST. Take your time looking, and don't be pushed into a model (and warranty) you DON'T WANT.

SO far many HDTV salespersons have over-sold the general population, ASSUMMING WE ARE NOT VERY "HDTV" EDUCATED!!!

DO your homework, know YOUR wants; and if the salesperson tries to UP-SELL you; RUN DON'T WALK, TO ANOTHER DEALER.

BEST SHOPPING,
RIVERLEDGE.

Collapse -
ONE THING TO TAKE NOTE!
by ammccreary / December 3, 2007 12:04 PM PST

Every TV manufacturer uses parts from their competitors. It's all the same TV from the top brands at times (chipsets and feature bundles are a tad different, but the core guts are mostly all the same). Now, you smarter techno geeks can probably correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to give it a shot from all the time spent on the avsforum... LG & Phillips make LCDs, Samsung makes the Plasma glass, Sony makes most HD chipsets, Texas Instrument & Samsung make/own DLP technology. Those are just a few I know of...

If you understand that...then the rest is gravy. Go for reliable brands (Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic), find the best bargain, purchase GOOD cabling, and then you are set!

Collapse -
I do not like costco, sams, and NFM
by gabereyes / December 3, 2007 12:22 PM PST

any company that cant play a clean game, if I cant compare there model with others on the TV co. web page, it seems they have something to hide.

I did look up both models and read there stats, none of my info I sayed is wrong, and came from what I beleived to be facts.

Yes I work for BB and Ive also worked for sams club, NFM, ultimate electronics, and CC.

I would say I know what is going on inside and behind the scene.

and from what Ive seen club models are like a looking at a Dodge SXT model, it look like there RT model but doesnt have the same engine or options.

as for warrants, well kia has a longer warranty then honda, that doesnt make them better.

gabe

Collapse -
The Sony KDL-46VL130 has HDMI Theater Sync
by asawadude / December 9, 2007 7:16 AM PST

An employee of Best Buy who titles his post "I do not like costco, sams, and NFM" obviously is not going to be objective in any statements regarding items sold by a club store. He, in fact, misrepresented the features of the Sony KDL-46VL130 which is indeed equipped with HDMI Theater Sync. The user manual for this model can be found here:

http://www.manualnguide.com/download/manual-guide/sony-kdl-46vl130-bravia-lcd-tv-operating-manual.html

Page 18 clearly states "This TV is equipped with BRAVIA Theater Sync."

I purchased the Sony Bravia KDL-46VL130 and Sony Bravia DAV-HDX501 home theater from Costco for $2480 which included $480 rebate, making the home theater essentially free. Originally, I had earmarked some funds to purchase a separate home theater system, but the free HDX501 offering enabled me to buy a PS3 bundle, so now I have a new 1080p panel, home theater, and a gaming console with a Blu-Ray player in the bedroom for less than $2600.

I did consider the Circuit City offer which bundled the KDL-46V3000 and the Sony DAV IS10 home theater for $2299, but the very small 3" cube speakers of the demo unit simply did not put out enough sound. Despite being $300 more expensive than the HDX500/501 models, it didn't sound as good. As a result. I went with the Costco bundle and I am extremely satisfied.

Collapse -
hdx501 home theater
by tony727 / January 16, 2008 3:30 AM PST

Is there a difference between the hdx500 and the costco hdx501? Are you using the wireless rear speakers with the hdx501? If so, does the infrared require direct line of sight installation? I'm told there's a IR receiver for both the dvd player and the speakers - yes? Lastly, I suppose there's no synching the bravia home theater with my panasonic plasma tv - need separate remotes for each? thanks for any help you can provide. Tony

Collapse -
46V3000 vs 46V130
by gabereyes / December 3, 2007 12:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: 46V3000 vs 46V130
by desertsunangell / December 3, 2007 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: 46V3000 vs 46V130

Gabe,

Thank you for providing me with links to both televisions and information on them. That was what I was looking for was substantial information and not your opinion. You could have done that to begin with instead of talking like a jerk with a know-it-all attitude.

You have treated me poorly on this forum and talked down to me like I was stupid, unlike the others who have posted knowlegable, experienced replies with useful information and kind, supportive words.

I would like to THANK YOU for confirming to me why I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM BEST BUY. If tekkies like yourself who work at Best Buy talk down to all their customers and treat them like nobodies, you can be sure I will relay that piece of information to my friends and tell them not to buy at Best Buy. It goes along the same line as another thread where the buyer was also treated poorly by a sales rep at Best Buy. Seems like a pattern here.

As a consumer I will not be treated that way by any salesperson and be expected to buy a product from their store. And it's obvious in your young life that you don't know didly about service warranties. After the sale service is just as important as the sale. If you have had something go wrong with a product you would know this. I'm not talking Kia's and Honda's, I'm talking TVs. It's a whole lot different.

Also, with that employment record of so many stores, I think you have something to hide.

Collapse -
Re: 46V3000 vs 46V130
by juggrnaut9 / February 15, 2008 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: 46V3000 vs 46V130

what a hippocrate! She ask's for opinions from everyone, then attacks him for a negative response because it is his opinion. Most of the posts have been opinions with no concrete evidence.

Collapse -
You haven't read the posts
by desertsunangell / February 15, 2008 11:49 PM PST

hyp

Collapse -
Gee, abit thin skinned. Sure we get personal opinions
by NM_Bill / February 16, 2008 1:27 AM PST

posted. When seemingly overly personal opinions, we have the opportunity to read between the lines as to why they have that particular opinon.

Sure, the quality of posts here varies widely. It is, of course, a volunteer community, with most posts done in good faith by folks of good will.

I value this community, even when I've been criticized & I must admit I have posted a couple of times just dead wrong. Easy to do, after all, do I need any particular knowledge to have an opinion. Of course not, opinions come cheap.

Yes, I have posted pointed questions as to why one has the opinion they posted. That could have seemed overly direct or questioning, but was always in the spirit of really wanting nreasons posted back. I consider many regulars here as online friends.

And, a reason to hang out here is to perhaps learn some things on an ongoing basis. I haven't known anyone who couldn't use a little learning, but I've met some who thought they didn't. Online here, I feel it personally advantageous to not be one of those with the thinest skin or advocate personal attacks.

In the spirit of good will...

Collapse -
gabe is right
by gunbrick / June 6, 2008 1:55 PM PDT

why should he have to do the work for you?
he is right why are the club models not on the web like all the other models. think about it what are they hideing and why. it takes a bb empolyee to do the work that should be available to all. costco and other club stores take advantage of so many people daily by selling old models and special models that you have no idea where or what has been done to them. i work at a club store and i feel sorry for people who buy electronics form us because I know the stuff we sell is junk.
i have bought our store model and then the real one and there is a difference. That is wrong but that is business and that is simple people that believe that costco is looking out for them wake up and smell the money.

Collapse -
Theater Sync and Live Color
by padkison / February 14, 2008 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: 46V3000 vs 46V130

I'm not up to speed on these features, but this link to the specs at Sam's Club states the 46V130 does have the Theater Sync and gabe's link to the pdf specs states the 46V130 has Live Color

Collapse -
Costco's Concierge Service is THE BEST! Vizio is the WORST!
by blakecam / December 8, 2007 8:32 AM PST

I just want to relay my recent experience with Costco and their Concierge Service. I purchased a Vizio 42" plasma over two year ago, so it was out of warranty with both Vizio and Costco's extended plan. The TV had a major failure, and Vizio refused to do anything about it. Vizio wouldn't even send a repair person out to look at it, even at my expense! They simply said "sorry, you're on your own." They suggested I check the Yellow Pages for a TV repair service! Great service, eh?

I called Costco to complain, and they referred me to their Concierge service. The experience was amazing. The Concierge rep said that they would not accept that kind of service from Vizio, and immediately arranged for a technician to come out to look at my TV, AT NO CHARGE TO ME! The technician showed up as promised, and confirmed that it was a major failure, and the TV was as good as trash.

The same Costco Concierge rep called me that very same night, and offerd me a FULL refund of the purchase price. This is over two years after purchase!!! I returned the TV to my local Costco warehouse, and voila, a full refund was pre-arranged by the Concierge department. No questions asked. Unbelievable. Try that with Best Buy, CC, Sears, or ANY other retailer.

The best part is, I was able to purchase a Sony KDL-46VL130 for the same price as my old Vizio. What an amazing difference in TV's. I couldn't be happier with my new Sony, and I will never purchase another piece of equipment from anyone other than Costco. I can't imagine that the other Sony models will have a significantly better picture than the KDL-46VL130. I think 99% of viewers would be thrilled with this TV. The only negative is that the remote control is not universal. It controls only the TV, and will not control your cable box, DVD player, HT system, etc. However, it doesn't really matter to us because our cable remote is universal.

There is a lot of mention about Vizio products and their low prices. While our Vizio 42" plasma had a very nice picture, it completely failed after only two years, and Vizio technical support offered NO support at all. They are absolutely the WORST customer service department I have ever dealt with. Costco backed up their porduct, and came to the rescue. If anyone is considering a Vizio product, think long and hard before buying one, because their customer support is HORRIBLE. They are cheap for a reason. If you must buy one, buy ONLY from Costco because they will at least offer their fantastic Concierge service, and a two year warranty.

Thank you Costco!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.