TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Sony Receiver Surrond Sound Set up

by jbarber1017 / March 10, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

I have just purchased a second hand Sony Receiver (STR-K6800P) and I am having trouble setting up my Playstation 3 to play surrond sound. Also involved is my Sylvania 32" HDTV, (LC321SS9) A Time Warner HD-DVR cable box and a Wii Game Console. I have been able to get everything to play in surround sound except the Playstation 3. There isn't an HDMI outlet on the receiver. There isnt an Optical Digital Input on the HDTV and I am not willing to switch the Playstation 3 to analog cables. (HD would be gone) If anyone can explain how to get this working so I can experience Bluray and PS3 Games in Surround Sound I would worship the ground you walk upon!! LOL I am literally starting to obsess over this. HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Receiver Surrond Sound Set up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Receiver Surrond Sound Set up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That receiver has two optical inputs and one digital coax..
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2009 5:45 AM PDT

...input. Look in the upper left corner of the back of the unit under 'digital'. AFAIK you could connect one digital optical cable from your HD-DVR and the other from the PS3. One of those could instead be connected to the reciver via a digital coaxial cable (where it says 'Dvd in Coaxial' in back of the Sony). Wii shouldn't matter since it does not output dolby digital/dts/surround sound AFAIK. You could try Dolby Pro Logic II if it's available on this particular Sony. Drawback of not having HDMI input is you miss out on the nice new wideband codecs accessible to you via the BD player.

hope that helps,
Pedro

Collapse -
Optical digital connection Blue Ray to 6yr old receivers
by Siteforlife / March 14, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

I purchased a PS3 mainly as a blue ray player and was told I could connect to my 6 yr old Sony STR_DE885 receiver with a digital optical cable and to a 47LG70 HDTV with HDMI cable. I select digital audio output and this works fine for 5.1 with regular DVDs but not with Blue Ray discs. The audio from Blue Ray breaks up from time to time. Sony tell me that digital (optical or coaxial) connection will not support the audio signal from a BD movie ( which seemed to me to be deliberate built in obsolescence). I have not been able to find out how new a receiver must be to avoid this problem, but had thought perhaps it must have HDMI inputs. However, I am mostly bewildered by the jargon, and once bitten twice shy have avoided for now buying a new receiver (so am not of course getting the full benefit of Blue Ray from the PS3).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.