Sony

General discussion

Sony PS3 and cheap HDMI cables

by massimj / February 25, 2010 4:32 AM PST

I bought a new slim Sony Ps3 250 gb model. The hdmi port was shutting down every few minutes, so I called Sony. Sony asked me what kind of cable it was. I assured him that I took the cable from another HDMI device where it had been working fine. He told me to buy a Sony cable to fix my HDMI issues. I will be forced to buy a very costly Sony HDMI cable to prove that he is wrong. I may also prove that he is right too. if the new Sony cable does fix my problem, I am going to have a new opinion of Monoprice cables.
I was of the mindset that a digital signal was either good enough, or not good enough. I get good video on my WDTV with the monoprice cable.

I will try to update when I get the Sony HDMI cable and test it on my PS3.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony PS3 and cheap HDMI cables
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony PS3 and cheap HDMI cables
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try blue jean
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 4:48 AM PST

Look up blue jeans cables. Yes the new slim needs a slightly better cable but this is NO ASSURANCE it will fix this. Sorry.
Bob

Collapse -
The cable is only half of it. the slim is a poor design
by massimj / February 25, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Try blue jean

I was just speaking to a coworker who also bought a Slim PS3. he had the same problem. The funy thing is that his old PS3 didn't have this problem, he was using the cable from his failed PS3. Once he go a Sony cable, it did not fix the problem 100%. he said that it fixed it 90%. It still loses video once in a while with the Sony cable on it. I may return the PS3 to Amazon.
It appears that the old PS3 can die if it is run too hot. It can melt solder on the chips. nothing good can become of that.

Collapse -
Which makes me ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 5:10 AM PST

Why ask if you knew? Here I know there are issues with HDMI+HDCP. It's not 100% and it's a shame they don't want to tackle that.
Bob

Collapse -
Trying Component Interface tonight
by massimj / February 25, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Which makes me ask.

Sorry if I gave you that impression. I was in touch with the coworker between messages. The information I got from him was from his conversation wit ha repair shop, and experience with the poor HDMI cable. I found it funny that the HDMI cable I get from Monoprice works everywhere but on the PS3. The coworker said that his old PS3 (old design) never had a problem with HDMI, and he never heard of anyone else having a problem with HDMI and the old PS3. His problems started with the slim PS3, and I think it is no coincidence that I had the same problem. When I went to Goggle to See how many others had a problem with the slim, there were many.
I like the PS3 in spite of what is wrong with its HDMI interface. I bought the Component interface today. if it doesn't shutdown like HDMI, I will keep it. It will display just as good a picture as HDMI, so I see no problem. That's if you don't count that Sony charges a limb for the cable.
So Bob, I didn't already know, but I am a fast study.

Collapse -
Let me repeat a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 8:37 PM PST

The folks (at least the ones I encountered) at blue jeans know to offer a cable with a bit thicker wires for the slim PS3.

However as you know nothing in HDMI, HDCP is perfect. It's a shame that performance and reliability was a secondary or optional requirement to a good working product.
Bob

Collapse -
HDCP
by massimj / February 25, 2010 9:23 PM PST

Bob, isn't it true that when the problem is HDCP the TV will respond in kind? At least my TV does. If the problem had to do with HDCP I would know about it. I had a cable box from Comcast that would not work on HDMI, the TV kept displaying a message about HDCP being required to use HDMI. I don't think that the Sony PS3 HDMI issue has anything to do with HDCP.
The cable I tried last night is 10 feet, 24ga and gold connectors, it worked fine.

Collapse -
A bet I would not place.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: HDCP

I've seen this issue and the circles I run in is with electronics designers so our consensus is one thing.... But HDCP and HDMI is not black & white, works or not. You see it fail 63 minutes into some movie and then 48 the next time.

The insiders I talked to think it's either a code bug or the HDCP deciding "Oh, I'm not sure this is a protected link!" and dropping the link.

It's a shame that it wasn't more robust.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't let anyone fool ya
by eric61968 / April 5, 2010 11:03 PM PDT

HDMI cables are basically the same. I have a PS3 fat and have used three different name brand cables and the picture is the same no matter the price or brand. There is no way a cable can cause a port to shut down and restart. No where does it say in the description on the slim that it requires a Sony cable only. They just want you to give them more money. With all the problems popping up lately and mandatory firmware update I am done with Sony forever. I would never have thought that if I didn't download the new update I would lose the most important functions of the console.

Collapse -
hdmi cables can be dodgy at any end
by kevphysics / April 29, 2010 4:02 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.