Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Picture Motion Browser - Date/Time Stamp issue

by y_kamui2004 / September 4, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

I have a Sony DCRSR65 and I installed the Sony Picture Motion Browser (PMB). How come the date/time stamps were not imported to the PMB? When I created a cd it does not have any date/time data? But when I played the video in my camcorder I can see the date/time stamp? So how to do it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Picture Motion Browser - Date/Time Stamp issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Picture Motion Browser - Date/Time Stamp issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's in the camcorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 11:44 PM PDT

The "player" software in the camcorder adds such. To add it in your video you need editing software to add it again. Nothing's wrong here, but no one explains how things work anymore.

Collapse -
MPEG date/time data
by y_kamui2004 / September 5, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. So what software will add the actual date/time data of the MPEG files (from my camcorder) exported to the picture motion browser?

Collapse -
MPEG may not have this data.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: MPEG date/time data

However, miniDV and the DV (video) does have it. Not to shortchange you but there is software out there to add date/time overlays to the video. You can use google and such to add it. Most of the lower cost or supplied with the camera software does not do this.

I would be theorizing how they do this with MPEG in the camcorder but the simplest method is to use the date/time stamp of the file as the starting date/time then as it plays the time since the beginning can be added to that. This can explain how the camcorder's player can add such without the data being in the actual MPEG file.

Collapse -
MPEG layer tool
by clayne73 / December 18, 2008 2:33 AM PST

Has anybody found a third party overlay tool to be able to display the date/time as described in the problem listed above? Any advise/assistance is appreciated.

Collapse -
by bdfromsd1 / January 16, 2009 3:24 PM PST
In reply to: MPEG layer tool

I am looking for this also. It is difficult to understand. The date and time is there in the filename, why cant this be embedded in the video as it is rendered to DVD Video? The date stamp is important. There are programs that allow date stamp to be added to DV, but not mpeg. There are programs to convert different video formats, but I think there would be a loss of quality to convert from mpeg to another format, add the date and then convert to a DVD.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
"why cant this be embedded in the video as it is rendered to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2009 1:05 AM PST

"why cant this be embedded in the video as it is rendered to DVD Video?"

Not any reason at all. But maybe it just needs to be said -> Not all software titles offer such a feature.

Collapse -
by bdfromsd1 / January 18, 2009 6:14 AM PST

Bob or anyone:

Which software tools that allow the date, which is the mpeg filename to be added to an mpeg file as it is rendered into a DVD? It would be ideal if there was some flexability in this, like the date starts off anytime the day is changed, or is on there all the time, position on the video, etc.

I understand sometimes people do not want the date on there, but there are times we do. It should be our choice when rendering the video.

The nice thing about Camcorders that store on a hard or flash drives is it is very fast and easy to take the video and data off the camcorder, but not having the ability to place the date/time on the video is a big drawback.

I and many others would really apreciate it if someone could point us in the right direction. I have not been able to find anything in Google for mpeg video to DVD that would allow date imprint.

Collapse -
Just pointers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 7:27 AM PST
Collapse -
by bdfromsd1 / January 18, 2009 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Just pointers?

I may be missing something big time, but the only date stamp software I have seen is for avi or DV.

This camcorder takes great video, but the video is saved as mpg files on the internal memory and flash chip.

I transfer it to the computer via the Sony PMB program.
It is saved on the computer as a mpg file with the date/time stamp on the filename, but NOT imprinted on the video and there is no option on the camcorder to allow this to be imprinted on the saved video file.

I can transfer and burn the mpg file to dvd using the Sony PMB software. When I burn the DVD, the date stamp is not there when I play it.

Is there other software I should be using to capture the video from the camcorder so it would save in another format and allow the Date/time overlay information to be displayed on the DVD?

I am sorry about all of this, but the kids are getting older and I have tons of video and I want to preserve on DVD. Without a date stamp, it is hard to tell the timeframe of each video clip.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You're not missing it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 9:51 AM PST

This is done by software 'after the fact.' I know many are surprised or expected this to be a standard feature. It's not.

There are some dozens of software solutions with prices from hundreds to more bucks. I can't guess exactly which one you would pick.

Is there other software I should be using to capture the video from the camcorder so it would save in another format and allow the Date/time overlay information to be displayed on the DVD?

No. Capture it the same way you are. Just find a software title such as a Video Editor that can do what you ask.

Collapse -
Video editing software
by bdfromsd1 / January 18, 2009 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: You're not missing it.

Bob, you seem very knoledagable with this so I will go back to you.
We really appreciate this.
We have a few Video editing software programs and none of them allow adding the date time stamp to an MPG video.

I have written to a few companies and downloaded trial versions and none of them allow taking an mpeg-2 file, adding the date and burning to DVD.

What we are looking for is something that would take the existing date/time video was created datestamp on the MPG file and overlay it during the compile to DVD. Ideally, there would be flexability to have date or date/time, date on all the time or only for XX seconds after the date shot changed.

When we hover over a video clip on the Sony PMB program, the hoverhelp balloon shows date and time the video clip was taken, so the info is avaialble as you said.

It is a matter of using the right video editor program to imprint this information on the clip before rendering.

Can you recommend a few programs that have this feature and we will take it from there? We just need a starting point. Once we enter Video Editor XX in Google, there will be no shortage of similar programs. We just need a starting point.

Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Why I can't give you a specific one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Video editing software

If I tip my hand you might find out I wrote an application for a CCTV system. We embed the time frame by frame along with other information. Since I wrote my own I stopped looking for it long ago. And please do not ask for this. It's owned by the company and not free.

I've added another reply to your top post with a refined search.

Collapse -
Roxio Easy
by pealro06 / July 31, 2015 12:05 PM PDT

There is a program that can do the stamping date in an editing clip, it is Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus, just connected the capture device to your PC and to the camcorder and it will showed the date stamped in the new video, but it will not be in HD.

Collapse -
More to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 10:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Date Time imprint from camcorder to DVD
by 3GirlsMom / March 14, 2009 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: More to read.

If the date and time appear during playback to a television from the camcorder, we discovered that the date and time stamp can be recorded during playback through a DVD Recorder.

Collapse -
This is what I did
by mikewhen / May 3, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

I have a Sony handycam with a disc drive and when I import the video using the picture motion browser the time/date info is not embedded. I talked to Sony and they were absolutely no help at all. They said I had two options, install an analog video capture card or use a third party software to embed the info. I use a laptop and my experience with capture cards led me to believe they needed to be installed internally (in a desktop) so that was out. I asked the sony rep if he could recommend software and he refused. Apparently they are forbidden to recommend third party software that is capable of fixing their blunders. I did some googling and saw this thread, as well as a lot of other frustrated hdd camcorder users, but no real solutions. The software options are expensive, hard to learn and complete overkill for adding a timestamp. I couldnt find free software that would edit mpg video without taking 30 steps and requiring multiple other freeware releases. I went to best buy, explained my situation to a very pleasant but very apethetic young woman who pointed me to the computer section. On the bottom shelf of the video isle I found a Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder. For $50 it was cheaper than a lot of the software options and it looked like it could work. They had a similar but more expensive model for ~$80 but I bought the cheaper one. I brought it home and tried and failed to install it. Vista 64 needs special drivers from their website, XP pro wasnt a very easy install either. Once installed it does a good job capturing the analog video from my camcorder (with the time/date stamp). It's really very simple. Negatives were that it was difficult to install, the chapter creator is not very flexible, and the resulting picture doesnt look as good. But until Sony updates the pmb to include the time/date stamp this is what I will use.

Collapse -
Dont you think it is ridicules?
by aloniluz / November 21, 2009 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: This is what I did

To buy HDD camcoder and finally import/capture it to the pc as analog?? What HW are you using to capture?
Anyway, I am lost also because I cant find even not free software for timestamp on MPG. The issue is that there are SW for DV (like VDTS) that do the job very well!!!
If you have something reasonable, please let me know!!

Collapse -
Did you finally fine a reasonable solution?
by aloniluz / November 21, 2009 4:44 PM PST

For DV I know that there are few software application that do the job (like VDTS).
But unfortenattaly I could not find any solution for MPG files!!!
Please let me know if you did find.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.