Sony forum

General discussion

Sony Optical Block Issues

by djkeyboard / September 29, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

It would seem that a company who admittedly has a major manufacturing issue with their optical block systems, would just own up, step to the plate and take their lumps. Not Sony. Playing the demigog multimillion dollar "we don't care" game, Sony seems bent on hanging customers out to dry with equipment destined to fail right out of the box. In many states, there are laws against this type of exploitation called,"merchantilable" laws. IE - any company knowingly selline faulty equipment destined to not live up to it's normal usage time, is liable for legal repercussions. Check your state laws to see if you are one. If so, don't put up with Sony's refusal to replace the optical blocks, just file a small claims court case and Sony will be contacting you. The fact they extended warrantees on several models is a legal admission on their part that they recognize they sold faulty equipment. You will win big if they don't settle ahead of time -- and they will want to do this. I'm tired of large companies stepping all over the working person's backs. Step back on them.......

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Optical Block Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Optical Block Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Optical Block
by conedreill1027 / October 1, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

I got a lame offer for $400 toward a repair which cost $869.00, or buy a discounted Sony for a bit over $1,300. I paid around $2,000 for this TV in 2005.
I think everyone should take a video of their damaged Wedga TV and state their issues with Sony and put it up on Youtube. A woman recently did that to Bank of America and boy did she get their attention. It was on the local news channels in NY and I imagine around the country. Get out the video cameras and lets all do it.!!!!!

Collapse -
Sony has lost a customer forever!
by pshelnut1 / October 2, 2009 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Optical Block

You-tube posting is a great idea. Especially now since everyone on my Sony TV looks like a blueberry. I'll make sure I mention that I purchased the set in 2005 and paid $3400 for it and already replaced the optical block once, 2 years ago. Seriously, no one needs to buy from a corporation that will not back their products. WEGA's should've all been recalled and the OB problem fixed. PERIOD. Sony refuses to replace my optical block and since the blue has nearly taken over now, I'm going TV shopping this weekend. I absolutely will NOT be looking at Sony TV's. They've lost a customer for life. My mission is now to let everyone know how bad Sony Corp sucks. I've never experienced such poor customer service.

Collapse -
Sony Wega's Youtube postings.
by conedreill1027 / October 3, 2009 4:27 AM PDT

Trying to get the word out and have a lot of youtube postings out there. That will get Sony's attention. They are going to lose a lot of customers. I know after this experience I'll never buy another Sony nor will my family. Generations of non Sony customers, they have lost any credibility as far as I am concerned. Use to be having a Sony was meant you only bought the best and people were impressed now it's embarassing. I hear Sharp is the way to go. I'll dump my Sony and get a Sharp rather than pay to have $400 to have my Wedga repaired. Shame on Sony.

Collapse -
I agree
by simply_bill / October 8, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

I wish pressure would make a difference to Sony but with their support based in the slums of Manila they really don't care. When you are trying to get them to come up with a better offer you are talking to someone making $20 a day. It is so cheap for Sony to not fix them they can stall forever. They way companies run today they know that people will forget and for every one Sony loses for selling crap, they will gain one from LG from them selling crap.

Collapse -
by ted18162 / October 23, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

will not buy anything with Sony name on it ever again, period.
went through the hoops with Sony customer service rep. spoke with a guy named "Fred" ID#CJR in customer relation dept. his reply was- no help of any kind from Sony with bad attitude and he's in charge of decision making, said his manager "never talk to customers" and refer me to their legal dept. in CA.if I'm not happy with his answers.

KDF 55WF655 with blue blobs-optical block problem.

Collapse -
read tis
by simply_bill / November 1, 2009 9:56 PM PST

I just wanted to let everybody know that, on 10/23/2009, Sony issued warranty extension alerts for all of their 2007 rear-projection TVs. Now, every Sony rear-projection model ever produced (2003-2007) has been the subject of a warranty extension, a class-action lawsuit, or both. See my informational web site for links and additional information:

This also reveals a disturbing, but perhaps not surprising, reality related to the class-action lawsuit Sony settled for the 2005 SXRD models. The "Opinion and Order" in that settlement stated on page 4 that Sony had fully resolved the yellow stain issue by September 2006, and that no TVs or replacement optical blocks manufactured after that date should have problems with green or yellow discolorations. Yet, I have emails from owners with SXRD models manufactured in 2007 that got the yellow stains, and this latest warranty extension suggests that it is another widespread problem.

Collapse -
Sony's VERY POOR customer service
by jdmac99 / December 6, 2011 4:26 AM PST

I encountered very similar problems. I was connected to the phillipines, where after wanting to speak to someone higher up, I was connected to another person in the phillipines. They offered me a "huge" discount. Which that is all fine and dandy if I had money to buy one. But the overall princicple is that it is a problematic part that sony produced and recognizes, yet by chance for some reason you decided to randomly contact sony you would have no idea about the defective part or warranty. The customer service just kept telling me that is the only thing that they can offer. I feel very screwed as a sony customer, having paid over a $1000 for a TV that lasted only 4 years. Jesus, I barely just changed my lamp for the second time a day before.

Sony TV KDF50E3000

Collapse -
by fantamas2006 / November 4, 2009 9:39 AM PST

I always buy SONY products and making SONY electronics gifts to my friends and relatives.
Devices working properly. I have no complains. Video quality is the best if compare with other manufacturers.

So, if you got something does not work, then it does not mean that the whole world does not like it.
Of course, you have the right to open a claim in small court. America because... human/customer rights, etc, etc, etc...

Collapse -
Good luck
by djkeyboard / November 5, 2009 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: I LOVE SONY

Glad you're happy with them. Write back again when something does fail and let us know how great they are then........

Collapse -
Screaming in the desert
by simply_bill / November 10, 2009 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Good luck

On this site we are a bunch of people with no power because Sony is not here. Sony has hired a person to be their internet face on FACEBOOK. She wants to solve our problems (LMAO) so email her and let her help.

Sony ElectronicsTammy! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Mind sending me an email so I can follow up with you? Please send this note and your contact info as well as model and serial number to
Thank you,

Collapse -
Sony Optical Block
by conedreill1027 / November 10, 2009 12:45 PM PST

Has this person done anything for anybody yet? I don't think so. Sonycares, and that guy forgot his name don't give a hoot about all these Sony customers. It's crazy how many people this has affected and how many customers Sony is loosing.

Collapse -
by simply_bill / November 12, 2009 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Optical Block

We had so many people post on the Sony Facebook site they ended up blocking it so only Sony can post on their wall

Collapse -
Tony@Sony or a lot of Baloney?
by simply_bill / November 13, 2009 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing

"Hello Alll. How are you today?

So, first of all those of you with WEGA customer service needs that I have not connected with yet, I have a contact for you in customer service named Tony. I want to get you guys connected with him, because he will personally review each case and see what can be done for you. Tony's email is .; If you need customer care or service please send him an email. Include your Full name, phone number and any customer numbers like work order, support case, sales order number you have. You can also include product or serial numbers if you have them... any details to help speed up the process. In the subject like write "Your Name" From Facebook. Also, please copy me at; Please don't expect an answer over night.. it's going to take some time to review each case.

I know you are frustrated... and it sounds like many of you have been for a while. Like I said in an earlier post, figuring out how to make you Sony Fans again is at the top of my mind and has been since the first note I got from Jim a few days ago. That being said, I'd like to ask you guys to respect the other people who come here and are fans. In addition, I'm doing my best, I'd appreciate that you consider your tone with me too.

It's Friday night here in San Diego.. yes, Friday the 13th. I hope you all have a good one. I'll check in over the weekend for any emails from you to make sure they get where they need to be.

To see the comment thread, follow the link below:

The Facebook Team

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.