Sony forum

Sony Laptop poor product and bad service donot buy

by Ragarwal1234 / September 1, 2012 4:14 PM PDT

I bought two Sony laptop with three months difference. Both laptop screen got spoiled with vertical lines on half the screen exact 15 months from date of purchase. This is some coincidence. Since Sony had 12 month warranty they have refused to service and have been very rude. Even corporate office in US and Japan have not respo fed to complaints

There is no point payo h premium for Sony Laptops with such a poor record of manufacturing defect and poor customer service

Of anyone else have a similar experience pls share

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Laptop poor product and bad service donot buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Laptop poor product and bad service donot buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My experience was the opposite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 12:13 AM PDT

I had an out of warranty Sony and they were able to service it with a flat rate repair fee. You didn't write that you wanted the repair to be free but out of warranty is just that. If you need longer warranty, then you need to get that on your next laptop.

Collapse -
Screen cost Vaio VGN SR 590
by Ragarwal1234 / September 2, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

Charge requested to replace the screen was USD 600. Considering two laptop had 15 month life. It shows clear manufacturing problem

Collapse -
Wish I agreed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

I've owned repair shops in the past and since I can't see your laptop I can't diagnose it. If you feel that today's machines are defective because of 18 month life span on parts then why are you buying them? The common laptop battery is 300 cycles or about 18 months.

You are also opting for one year warranty. Again, I had no issue getting my products repaired compared to other companies.

Collapse -
more bad customer service and shoddy goods
by pugs1970 / October 4, 2012 2:40 AM PDT

Hi, thought i'd share a recent experience with my beloved 'Sony', its actually ongoing but i'll give you the gist.
3 months ago i purchased a new SVE1511W1ESI, i thought i couldnt go wrong, ive had so many Sony products in the past as i was genuinely a fan of there products, this being my 2nd Sony laptop, but i was so wrong.
Id seen the laptop on the website, liked the look of it and the Specs were great, being an avid Sony fan i signed on the dotted line thinking that i'd be covered with a class product for at least the next few years.
i took it home, powered it up and set about 'setting it up', my first impression was 'oh my god thats the worst viewing angle ive ever seen what the hell??" ....not great, then as i went to press the eject button on the disc drive the button consequently decided "well ive had quite enough of this abuse" and snapped off inside, on later inspection it turns out the eject button was attached to a tiny thin PLASTIC pin that pushed into actual drive, and this snapped?...shocking.
it was about a week later i started noticing other imperfections, the edge of the screen bezel was making contact with the top of the keyboard when you opened and shut it causing lots of tiny scratches on the black glossy plastic, and the actual edge of the screen where it met the top cover felt sharp and unfinished like it had a cover on, marks and scratches where the webcam meets the keyboard when its closed, i mean this thing is 3 months old and it looks in a worse state than my 4 year old Dell! I carry it from room to room in my house, is its main purpose in life not to be mobile? well no ones attacking me on these little house journeys, im not using it to defend myself!, so where the hell are all these scratches and marks coming from? soft plastics thats where from, you only have to brush past this laptop and it needs a band aid, and its soooo flimsy, im not expecting the screen to see its first birthday as it might as well be housed in cheese, and you would of thought they would of at least bothered to put a decent screen in the thing but im afraid not, all you have to do is move your head from side to side and the viewing angle changes the picture...which isnt brilliant either.
So...sent an email to Sony to let them know that there laptop is a fat pile of pants (politely), got a response 3 days later apologizing for my inconvenience and requesting pictures of said faults with a reply, ok...why not, so i did. i edited them with text pointing out all the flaws, 6 pics in all....nothing. a week later i sent another email asking for an update to which i got a reply 3 days later...apologizing for my inconvenience and requesting pictures of said faults with a reply....(the original reply was still on the thread at the bottom of the email)..ok then, so i did it again...nothing. sent another email asking why i hadnt heard from them, got a reply apologizing for my inconvenience but there were no pictures attached to any of my reply's could you please send pictures of said faults with a reply....losing the will to live...i shrank all the pictures just in case, and sent 2 emails, one with pics, and one telling them i had sent the pics again and to let me know if they get them....and they did!
unfortunately they studied the pictures in detail and decided that its all wear and tear and down to me and my house battles that i apparently indulge in on a daily basis.
i am no longer a Sony fan, i look at this laptop like the irritating brother that you cant stand to be near but have to tolerate.
i will continue to rant at them for a while longer just because i can, and because they deserve it, im just glad that im not the only one that can see that Sony...once the undisputed king of gadgets and all things techy and gizmo like, have not only 'slipped a bit'....but have thrown there old cheap rude fat carcasses down a 50 floor stairwell.
never again
rant over Happy

Collapse -
Sony Support USA
by SonyListens / October 5, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

Good afternoon!

This is Kevin Krause from Sony Support USA. I am very sorry to hear about the problems that you have experienced with your laptop and Sony's customer service. If you email us at we will be more than happy to try and help you out. In your email, please be sure to include a brief description of the issues you are having, any event ID numbers you may have, and your contact information.

Thank you,
Kevin Krause
Sony Support USA

Collapse -
the reply
by pugs1970 / October 8, 2012 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Support USA

Subject: RE: Response to Cnet request FAO Kevin Krause
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 16:49:48 +0000

Dear Paul,

Good afternoon! And thank you for confirming your location and where you have purchased your Television. We work for Sony Electronics Inc. here in the United States and as such are not familiar with the processes and procedures for Sony in other countries/regions. We only provide information and support for Sony's products manufactured for sale and use here in the United States. Sony in each country/region is responsible for the design, manufacture, sales, service and support of their own products. We do recommend that you visit this link at your earliest convenience: This will help you locate assistance nearby in Sony UK. I hope this helps! Thank you!

Best Regards,

Amanda Maffei
Sony Electronics Inc
Social Media Advanced Resolution Team

Collapse -
by pugs1970 / October 8, 2012 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: the reply

Dear Amanda

Thanks for that, but that link just directs me back to Sony uk? thats who i was talking to on the emails i attached to the original message i sent you, so i am taking that as no one has actually bothered to read any of my message. if you had, you would of realised it was in fact a LAPTOP and not a TELEVISION, as the photographs also attached to the email clearly showed.

chalk another one up for Sony customer services

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.