TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDS-R60XBR1 problems GREEN HAZE

by Gerry_K / April 7, 2006 11:24 AM PDT

I bought the Sony KDS-R60XBR1 in January of 2006. Within less than a month it has developed a green tint in a round shape in the center of the screen. It is more noticable when first turned on and fades away some after it warms up. Never goes away. Watch a hockey game in HD and the ice is white on the outer edges and green tinted in the center. Tech came out and has decided to replace the set since it was purchased less then 60 days ago. That's great! Tonight I stopped into the local Best Buy which has this TV as their flagship display and guess what. Green tint in the center of the screen! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I concerned it may become and ongoing problem with this technology. The technician said it was the light engine. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 problems GREEN HAZE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 problems GREEN HAZE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't be concerned
by kena10 / April 7, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

As long as you have that service plan (which sounds like you do), you have nothing to worry about. As with any batch of product, some of the sets have been known to have that green issue. Hopefully with the new set you're getting that won't happen. I've had my KDS-R60XBR1 since the day before the superbowl and it still works fine. I wish you could've taken a picture of this green anomaly and post it, I would def. like to see that.

A few questions arise also...

How many hours a day did watch tv on it?

Do you have speakers nearby the tv set? If so, are they shielded? Non-shielded speakers tend to affect a television set and often times you will see colors on the screen. If you have speakers close to the tv and they aren't shielded, move them further away from the set (at least 12 inches).

How far away from the wall is the set? Sony recommends a distance of at least 4 inches away from the wall so that the tv doesn't overheat

Do you have a surge protector? Sometimes when lightning storms occur and the tv gets zapped somehow, things like that can surface.

Check this page for reference:

When you get the new set and should the same problem happen, try resetting the tv:

1. Turn on the television.
2. On the television remote control, press and hold the RESET button.
3. On the front of the television, press and release the POWER button.
NOTE: The television will turn off and then back on.

4. Release the RESET button.

Please let us know what happens.

Collapse -
Thank you!!
by flyhelos / May 22, 2010 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't be concerned

i have the KDS-R50XBR1 and thought i had the yellow tint of doom. BUT, the 'Reset' instructions SAVED MY TV!!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Collapse -
we had the same problem on our display
by masterying01 / April 7, 2006 6:18 PM PDT

we put out the 50 and 60 inch at the same time. the 50 inch was ALWAYS hooked up to our store signal through component, not a problem yet.

however, our 60incher is hooked up with directtv. i can't recall how long we've had it on display....but its definitely since january. the green tint was on the top right corner of the screen. as time went on, it spread to pretty much the whole top right quarter part of the screen. we're still waiting for the parts to come in so we can fix it.

i have yet to hear it from customers complaining though...until your post. this is EXACTLY WHY extended service plans are out there. problems like this is not as easy as just "replacing a light bulb". if i had a $4000 tv like this in my house, i wouldnt want it to go bad like that.

Collapse -
Green tint on top right corner
by gate079 / May 28, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

Hi, I have the same problem that appeared two days ago
after using the TV for 4 months. It is still relative;y small are but based on what you said it may enlarge in a
few months. Did you ever get your parts and have the problem resolved?

Collapse -
Sony Green Haze
by Gerry_K / May 29, 2006 10:25 AM PDT

The vendor I purchased the TV from chose to replace the TV with a new one based on the service tech's recommendation. This was an option because I had reported the problem within 60 days of purchase. While speaking to the service tech he said he ran across this problem with another customer having the same exact set.He had to replace the light engine and had fixed their problem. Even with the new set there is a noticable green haze while warming up and seems to disappear by 98%. It probably doesn't help that I've experienced the problem and am more critical in looking for it now. What concerns me most is that here in central florida I've been to two different Best Buy stores, two different Circuit City stores, and two different Sound Advice stores which have had this model on display for months and they all show signs of the same green haze ranging from moderately noticable to very noticable. I also went to Sony's web site and chatted with tech support and notified customer service per their instructions. Tech suport never heard of the problem and customer service never responded. If the light engine is the problem I would advise anyone buying this set to get the extended warranty including lamp replacement. If I here from Sony I will post the response.

Collapse -
by LinusG / November 16, 2007 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: Sony Green Haze

A year and a half later, this has become a well-known issue. It is likely a bad optical block, and Sony has extended their warranty to cover it through 2008. I will be changing mine out soon.

Collapse -
Sony KDS-R60XBR1
by nuimage / January 6, 2008 8:48 AM PST

I purchased a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 in Feb. 2006 I did not have the green haze problem, but I did have a problem when I hook up the TV with a hdmi cable to a Motorola cable box and turn on the TV and cable box together I would get a green screen. I have had 5 Sony repair men out to look at the TV their advice is I use component cable instead of hdmi. I am finding out now from Sony that their software for the hdmi and Motorola cable boxes are not compatible. Now you can get the green screen off by shutting the TV or the cable box off and on but sometimes that does not work you have to completely unplug and reset the cable box to get the picture to come back on. So I cannot use my hdmi input without a problem. Its hard to believe that Sony is making TVs that are not compatible with the cable boxes that are on the market but that is the way it is so they say. I am wondering how many are out there with this problem.
Thanks Jim Caldwell

Collapse -
Sony XBR1 Class Action lawsuit
by Dan Filice / January 6, 2008 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sony KDS-R60XBR1
Collapse -
Green haze...
by Lori4457 / October 27, 2008 2:39 AM PDT

THANK YOU all for this information, and one of the posts states "not to worry"... well DO worry! We have had our Sony for less than 2 years... the haze started in blotches on areas of the screen, then bam... it's the Incredible Hulk now! Thank goodness for google and this site... and the previous post about the class action suit link... we are in the middle of getting this taken care of between Sony and our local tv repair. I am sure there will be headaches etc, but it's better to start somewhere. This IS a major defect with this tv. So DO NOT ignore this green haze and call SONY ASAP!

Collapse -
by crozhawk / November 23, 2009 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Green haze...

I also have had this problem. My TV started with the green haze and now has a VERY LARGE circular area right in the middle of the screen with very noticeable rings that looks like some sort of magnetic field or something and is always associated with discoloration. When on a recent military deployment, the TV lost it's picture all together and my wife spent some $300 getting a bulb (maybe the light engine?) replaced. The TV at least has a picture again but still has the hideous green splotches and the large circular abnormality. It's a shame that such a nice set has turned into this. I'm going to contact SONY again, but not holding my breath. I think this will likely be the last SONY product I purchase. Buyers beware!!! Is there any definitive causes determined yet? I don't think the lawsuit link works anymore.

Collapse -
Official name is called 'green blob'
by givemeaname / November 23, 2009 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: KDSR60XBR1

Not uncommine on SXRD tv's. All you can do is replace the OB (opitical block) & that is about $1k to fix + on top you may end up with a block that will in 2-3 years be worse then what you have now. Sony never fixed this issue, just offered extented warranties on the OB and this problem was part of the reason they stop making SXRD RPTVs.

Collapse -
You might check with Sony as they extended the warranty ...
by RustyDallas / November 25, 2009 5:57 AM PST

period by years because of this problem. I'm not sure when the extension ends or ended on XBR1's but I just had to get a new optical block on my XBR-2 about 6 months ago. It's still covered until sometime next year because of the warranty extension. I've got to give Sony credit for making it a hassle free experieince. They sent a local repairman out with a new block about a week after I called and there were no hassles or extra costs. In my case it was the "yellow haze".

Collapse -
Done with DLP
by smithtad55 / May 21, 2010 1:00 PM PDT

I had the same problem and it was the light engine a circuit board and 3 mounts later I got my TV back. Worked fine for 2.5 years and the lamp goes out so I replace it and it works fine for almost 2 years and now all I get are red flashing lights by the power/standby button. I think I'm done with DLP.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.